Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 17, 2006, 7:05 PM   #1

I woke up early and drove down to the Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve. I heard that it is one of the best place to go birding in orange county. A storm had passed through yesterday, but the sun and blue skies came out today.

This shot was take across the street from the beach.

Walking past the parking lot, I came upon a wooden bridge. There I met some other birding people. They had some serious glass! These are 600mm nikon primes. At one point there were 6 of these set up on the bridge.

They all seemed to know each other. They would be chatting it up and one of would spot a bird. "Incoming pelican!" They would all rush back to the cameras and you would hear a storm of continous fire shutter releases...click click click click click click click.... I felt like I was standing next to an anti-aircraft artillery battery.

Needless to say, at first I was a bit intimidated with my meager 70-300 lens. However after chatting amongst them, I joined in the photography frenzy and had a blast! They all seemed very friendly and helpful.

I really like the plummage on this particular duck. So striking and beautiful. Can anyone ID it?

Here are a couple of california least terns. They would circle above and then dive down to grab a fish. I had a hard time focusing on them since they were so swift and acrobatic in the air.

A great ergret backlit amongst a bed of pickleweed.

royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2006, 7:28 PM   #2

Wonderful photos! The first one is certainly lovely - the weather certainly cooperated with you.

The duck looks like the picture of a Northern Pintail in my field guide. And that's some large lenses there - don't think I'm that dedicated to try to carry around/use something like that, though.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2006, 8:21 PM   #3

edit: wrong thread
Attached Images

Old Dec 17, 2006, 8:41 PM   #4

The duck is a Pintail! Roy is right, you are over sharpening some really nice bird shots.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 1:21 AM   #5

WOW
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 4:50 AM   #6
TDN

Wow, that looks like fun

Very nice shots, but 1 question: all the birds seem to have a "halo" aroud them, how did that happen? o_O
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 6:23 AM   #7

That's awesome - I would be intimidated too.

Some nice shots of people and, birds-in-flight.
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 9:18 AM   #8

As Roy and Tom have pointed out, I went a bit crazy with the USM, contrast, highlight/shadows. Bad habits left over from when I used a point and shoot and had to really do alot of post processing to get the image useable. Now that I have better equipment, I gotta learn to back off and be more subtle in my post processing.

TDN wrote:
Quote:
Wow, that looks like fun

Very nice shots, but 1 question: all the birds seem to have a "halo" aroud them, how did that happen? o_O
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 9:39 AM   #9

using the ''shadow/hilite'' tool will also bring out halos. to me all these shots were probably sharp enough to begin with..
Old Dec 18, 2006, 2:12 PM   #10

Great shots! Shot #3 is my favorite. I think that guys lens is bigger than his head.

Fred
Fred2726 is offline   Reply With Quote