Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 17, 2006, 7:16 PM   #1

This was from the back row of my church (approx 90 feet) hand held at 300mm with manual WB. I think I like my new lens!

Attached Images

gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2006, 7:17 PM   #2

Another from the same spot. Also 300mm hand held.
Attached Images

Old Dec 17, 2006, 7:18 PM   #3

This one is from a spot I found today. I just liked it for some reason.

Attached Images

Old Dec 17, 2006, 7:20 PM   #4

Almost forgot....each of those are jpegs straight from the camera. No post processing except resizing to post. I LOVE SHAKE REDUCTION!!!
Old Dec 17, 2006, 9:04 PM   #5

looks pretty good. I'm debating if I want a sigma or tamron 28-300mm, or go with a sigma or tamron 70-300mm, or just stick with my kit lens and get the pentax 50-200mm
Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2006, 9:12 PM   #6

I have: Tamron 28-300, Tamron 70-300 and Pentax 50-200. I find the Pentax to be really nice because of its small size. The other two lenses are pretty good, but after 200mm, it gets hard to hand hold a lens without shake reduction (I have a DS and DL, both of which do not have shake reduction).

When I use the 300mm Tamrons, I almost always use a tripod or bean bag on top of my car. I just picked up a 400mm Sigma AF lens, and I can hardly wait to get out and try it (once it gets here). I've never used a lens over 300mm.
Rickst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2006, 9:21 PM   #7

I have the Tamron 28-300 and the Pentax 50-200 on my K100D. Thanks to SR, I can usually get a decent shot with the Tamron, but the Pentax does seem a little sharper. However, given that I rarely view or print them full resolution, the Tamron's relative lack of sharpness doesn't really hurt the shot. I find when I have the 50-200 on there, I occasionally run into a situation where I want to go wider than 50mm, and the extra reach to 300mm is always useful. Therefore, I find the Tamron to be much more convenient, and usually the quality is fine.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Russ
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 6:36 AM   #8

I have to admit that when I first put the new lens on the camera and zoomed out to 300mm, I was shocked at how unsteady my hands were! My first thought was, "Well, I won't be using this lens without a tripod". But I turned on the shake reduction and snapped a few. I was blown awayby how much hand shake it compensated for. I had many more keepers than I expected.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 4:37 PM   #9

Just picked up the Tamron last week, and happened to come upon a small herd of Bighorn Sheep near the entrance to Arches National Park in southern Utah. I rolled down my window and took this - this guy cooperated for about 5 seconds, then was off. So far, I like the lens also, but need to take more shots for the final verdict. Pic was only slightly cropped, and slightly tweaked with USM.
Attached Images

nznhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2006, 6:30 PM   #10

Wow! I love that shot! I really think the Tamron gives a huge bang for the buck. I mean look at that shot...from a $150 lens!