Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 19, 2006, 12:06 AM   #11

For the birders out there, these are also 100% crops. It was a small bird (some type of sparrow?) that thoughtfully posed for me (A300 again).

Bright, jpg.
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 12:07 AM   #12

natural jpg. Lighting wasn't very good - really too much dynamic range for a good picture.
Attached Images

Old Dec 19, 2006, 12:10 AM   #13

This is a walkway beside my office building. Not sure that it really shows "sharpness" but you definitely get an idea of "texture."

bright, raw (dng).
Attached Images

Old Dec 19, 2006, 12:11 AM   #14

natural raw (dng).
Attached Images

Old Dec 19, 2006, 12:11 AM   #15

bright jpg
Attached Images

Old Dec 19, 2006, 12:16 AM   #16

natural jpg. By the way, all of these brick walkway pictures were taken with the DA 50-200 lens.

Not sure that I managed to prove anything, other than the differences are pretty small. I do think I might use bright mode when taking macro pictures with the Phoenix lens - that's the onewhere I saw the most difference. I took several other flower pictures with the Phoenix for comparisons, and consistently preferred those taken in bright mode. Might be just that bright works well for flower macros, or who knows?

P.S. I apologise for those who are on dial-up, for posting so many pictures in one thread! I just thought that I should post several examples.

Attached Images

Old Dec 19, 2006, 12:26 AM   #17

I did some research into this issue and found an answer -- to my own satisfaction, at any rate.

After close and careful examination of Phil's test photos, I was unable to discern any visible difference between how the K100 and K10 process JPEG images. I suspect they are using exactly the same image processing routines in their firmware. I invite everyone to DL the full images from the review and compare them yourselves. The images you want to get are the wristwatch-and-crayon ones, since they are available showing both Bright and Natural settings for both cameras. I'm confident most people who look will reach the same conclusion that I did.

If you compare a Bright image to a Natural one, the Bright one always shows far more sharpening -- no matter which camera made it. If you do a Bright-to-Bright or Natural-to-Natural comparison then the difference vanishes.

According to Pentax (via the K100 operating manual), Bright mode produces images with increased sharpening, contrast and color saturation suitable for printing. Natural produces much less processed images that are suitable for post processing in Photoshop or other programs.

The difference between the two reviews is simply that the K100 defaults to Bright and the K10 defaults to Natural. Phil tests cameras against one another based on their default settings. It's as simple as that.
tonybelding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 2:22 AM   #18

Thank you so much for the time you took to post these photos. You should also post them over at DPReview and request Phil to do another "Compared To" test vs C, N, and Sony using the Bright JPEG mode. I was surprised at the last set of photos which appear to show greater sharpness in the JPEG modes than in RAW (at least to my eyes anyways).

It seems to me that if you shoot JPEG, than the Bright mode may be the way to go perhaps with some contrast and saturation adjustments.

Good work and thanks again.
cpatrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 4:10 AM   #19

tonybelding wrote:
Quote:
After close and careful examination of Phil's test photos, I was unable to discern any visible difference between how the K100 and K10 process JPEG images.
A point that I'd previously noted when he slated the *istDS compared to the Canon Rebel - was that when I comparedhis review shots from both cameras, the *istDS, IMHO, was sharper.

Given what has been previously said about reviewers, we can perhaps guess why it's, done - whether it's intentional or not.

Thank goodness that we are all not so influenced by shortfalls & comments in reviews and have the common sense to use the information and draw our own conclusions.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 4:11 AM   #20

cpatrader wrote:
Quote:
I was surprised at the last set of photos which appear to show greater sharpness in the JPEG modes than in RAW (at least to my eyes anyways).
RAW images will only appear sharper when they are post processed to in a way to enhance the sharpness. Remember that it's only the basic data that is saved & the converted image will look considerably different dependent upon which utility is used to do the conversion into JPEG, or whatever. Pentax PhotoLab will produce a RAW converted image that will appear much the same as the JPEG straight out of the camera. Other utilities will produce differing results - some you may like , others you may not. ACR is reckoned to be the one of the best but, for convenience, I use PPL v2 (not compatible with Pentax dSRLs beyond*istDS)most of the time resorting to SilkyPix, Adobe Lightroom (beta) and ACR when things don't work out right with PPL.

The attached shot shows how USM & a touch of Shadows/Highlights affects the final result.
Attached Images

Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote