Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 19, 2006, 4:43 AM   #21

cpatrader wrote:
Quote:
If anyone who has the camera could please post a comparison of the two modes, I'd greatly appreciate it. A comparison of RAW modes to these two modes would also be very helpful to those who may have reservations.

Does anyone who owns the K10D notice JPEG softness?
RAW images should be the same in both Natural & Bright - the saved data is just the basic detail which when converted using a RAW converter will allow the user to add in the amount of brightness, saturation, sharpness etc.

JPEG softness isn't a bad thing. If an image has been processed in the camera to provide a high amount of sharpness, or anything else for that matter, then it CAN'T be taken out.

Early dSRLs deliberately produced softer JPEG (i.e. less in camera processing) to allow the dSRL user (more diserning user that simple P&S) to adjust this suit.

With manufacturers now producing more affordable dSRLs to appeal to the P&S user they have been'forced' to produce 'more punchy' sharper images straight out of the camera to create a wider appeal.

The net result is that when reviewers compare say a Canon against a Pentax, they conclude that the Pentax is 'flawed' in some way as the shot not is as sharp as they would like when compared against either a Nikon or Canon - they seem to have overlooked the reason why there is potentially less in camera processing with dSRLs, particularly with Pentax.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 6:13 AM   #22

What were your USM parameters to achieve that result from the RAW file?
cpatrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 8:03 AM   #23

cpatrader wrote:
Quote:
What were your USM parameters to achieve that result from the RAW file?
It was up around Amount - 225%, Radius - 1 with Threshold - 0.

Quite high - but then I wasn't working with the full size image
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 9:04 AM   #24

One of the things that catbells brings up is important - if you use the ACRpre-set auto adjustments (the current for CS2, not the Lightroom version), it will sharpen the picture a bit (not a great deal, but some). I just prefer the way CS2 does sharpening, I find it easier to control so I have changed my "camera rawdefault" settings to not do anything to the picture (no auto levels, no sharpening, no change in contrast curve). These raw (dng) pictures have had no sharpening done to them at all (not in ACR or CS2). Depending on which program you use and how you have it set up, your results could vary widely from this.

There is a number of things that can affect sharpness - the camera is only half the story. The lens makes a signficant impact on sharpness, as well as the process (the reason why I posted the bricks with the very common DA 50-200, a very inexpensive Phoenix lens and didn't just post ones taken with the A300).

Final note - when I look at the bird on my monitor at home, I can see quite a bit of information in the dark area (the bird's eye etc.). However, when I looked at them on the good monitor at work, it just looks dark with no detail. Do I need to change the brightness level on my monitor at home - is it set too bright?Or do I need to change the one at work - is it too dark?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 9:28 AM   #25

Is one monitor a CRT and the other a LCD? If not I would expect the one at work has the contrast turned up too high, which many people do to be able to read text better.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 3:01 PM   #26

Both are LCDs - I'll try turning down the contrast on the one at work. Thanks for the feedback!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote