Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 18, 2006, 1:27 PM   #1

The JPEG softness debate has been beaten to death over at DPReview since Phi's review came out. I have this camera on order and I'll probably be using JPEGsafair amountof the time for family snapshots. Since Phil loved the JPEGs from the K100 which were shot in Bright mode, I was wondering if anyone can post 100% crops comparing the two modes on the K10D to compare the sharpness level. I realize that they might be "punchier" looking, but I'm wondering if the edge softness will improve in the bright mode. Perhaps shooting in bright mode and lowering the contrast a little may produce the best JPEGs out of the camera. I printed some of the sample JPEGson DPReview's test (from the gallery) and I thought they looked very good despite his reservations. I am also still wondering if in the still life test shots, the background was more in focus then the foreground where he made the comparisons to other cameras since if you look closely, the background appears sharper on the K10D than the other cameras.

If anyone who has the camera could please post a comparison of the two modes, I'd greatly appreciate it. A comparison of RAW modes to these two modes would also be very helpful to those who may have reservations.

Does anyone who owns the K10D notice JPEG softness?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
cpatrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2006, 7:07 PM   #2

I've taken over 3,500 shots with the K10D already and have yet to see any of the jpg "softness" that Phil refers to! IMO I think his test shots are "setup" to make the Canon and Nikon look better ! You can adjust the contrast, sharpness and saturation in both the bright and Normal modes to make the jpg images look as sharp and or as soft as you would like, and I didn't notice how he had them adjusted for his test shots! Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 11:54 PM   #3

I spent part of my lunch taking a variety of comparison shots. They are just things around my office, so aren't very interesting as far as composition. All of these have absolutely no pp done to them - they are either jpg straight out of the camera and 100% crop, or dng converted with ACR with everything flat-lined (i.e., no auto adjustment, 0 for sharpening etc., linear curve). The only variables were bright vs. natural, and I used several different lenses. I used auto focus as much as I could.

The first two are the full frame shots (manual focus lens). This one is with bright mode.
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 11:55 PM   #4

Natural mode also full frame, just resized to fit here.
Attached Images

Old Dec 18, 2006, 11:56 PM   #5

Bright mode, 100% crop of the 1st picture.
Attached Images

Old Dec 18, 2006, 11:56 PM   #6

Natural mode, 100% crop of second picture.
Attached Images

Old Dec 18, 2006, 11:58 PM   #7

Since there was quite a lot going on in the picture, and the focus wasn't quite the same for each shot, here is another 100% crop (different place).

Bright.
Attached Images

Old Dec 18, 2006, 11:59 PM   #8

Natural.
Attached Images

Old Dec 19, 2006, 12:03 AM   #9

These next pictures are all 100% crops. The first pictures were taken with an A300 lens (forgot to mention that above). These pictures were taken with the very inexpensive Phoenix 100mm macro. I can see more difference between these than the ones taken with the A300, but it could be because focus is so critical with macro, and I'm not perfect at getting it right all the time (I'm certainly no pro and only a fair amateur).

Bright, jpg
Attached Images

Old Dec 19, 2006, 12:04 AM   #10

Natural jpg.
Attached Images