Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 18, 2006, 3:08 PM   #1

...haven't been able to get back out to the camera shop, by which to get my hands on this camera again. But there was one thing that I forgot to ask when I was there. I saw that there was a dedicated 'RAW' button on the front of the camera body, near the lens. Now, is this button to be depressed each time that a 'Raw' formatted photo is to be taken? Or can this camera be set up (hopefully) for the user to always shoot in within that setting, if desired? If the latter is true, then I wonder as to the reasoning behind that dedicated 'Raw' button.

Blessings,

Nathan
NLAlston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2006, 3:43 PM   #2

Disregard the query, my friends.

I just revisited DPreview, and perused the appropriate section on this 'Raw' button issue. I had somewhat suspected that I'd be able to do as I desired, and that the dedicated button was just a means by which to facilitate the action. Now, I have assurance that it is so.

Blessings,

Nate
Old Dec 18, 2006, 4:29 PM   #3

Welcome,

but NOT ALL is so shiny with RAW button :-(
Basic behaviour is OK when set to Continue under Custom menu- one press=RAW ON, another=RAW OFF... until You shoot. When You power off camera it reverts to Recording menu setup- that is OK. Bad is that if You preview Your last shot with Play mode it also reverts to Recording menu setting- too bad- eg You switch to RAW, shoot, some doubts- check last taken- continue shooting... and are back in undesired settings (no info except no of imgs in viewfinder :-( )- and later You find some missing precious RAWs... Nothing serious but You MUST memorize such behaviour for Yourself :-)

Best and happy shooting, JR

Reps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 4:59 PM   #4

I normally shoot only raw but since someone here asked for comparisons between jpg files taken at bright and natural, I thought I would try out the button a bit. I'm going to have to go back and re-read the directions in the manual for setting it up (I more or less ignored that part) because I wanted to use it as a toggle switch and it didn't work that way (menu was set to raw and when I pushed the button it stayed in raw, I think). That's what I think would be useful - to leave the camera in whatever mode you shoot most mostly (for me it would be raw) and then switch to jpg temporarily when you push the button. I'll re-read the manual again (always a good thing to do) to see exactly how it works before deciding if its something that's not particularly useful to me.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 5:39 PM   #5

Thanks. I don't have the camera yet, but feel it's safe to say that I will be shooting - almost exclusively - in RAW when I do get it. From what I seem to gather, here, is that a RAW setting could be maintained as long as the camera is 'ON'. That is what I wanted to hear. When the camera is powered down, I am reading (if reading correct) that the setting reverts to a default state, which I am assuming is JPEG. I had also considered that this might indeed be the case. But I wondered, too, if there might be a user setting, for RAW, which would over-ride the 'powering-down', and retain itself. If not, it's no real biggie. It would just be a matter of being strong within the focus of what one is doing.

BLESSINGS,

Nate
Old Dec 18, 2006, 6:11 PM   #6

Think we were talking a bit of "apples and oranges."You don't need to push the button to shoot raw all the time - there's a menu option for setting what you normally shoot - options are jpg, raw or raw+jpg. That setting will be maintained all of the time, regardless of whether the camera is turned off or not. Mine stays in raw most of the time, so I'm almost always shooting raw without having to push anything else. The button on the side is if your menu setting is set for jpg and you want to temporarily use raw or raw+jpg for some reason. As JR said, there's more to the raw button than just that - he's used it and figured it out more than I have.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 6:22 PM   #7

Mtngal ~ thanks.

That is great. I can't wait to get this baby. ...should be just a short while longer.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 7:16 PM   #8

One thing that should be noted is that the "RAW" button sets the camera to produce BOTH a RAW image and a JPEG.... In other words, if you're shooting in JPEG mode, and you want a RAW image, hit the RAW button and you get both image types on your flashcard. Similarly, you get both files if you hit the button and your normal file type is set to RAW.

As has been noted already, the default behavior is to shoot one image as RAW+JPEG, but you can change it to shoot RAW+JPEG until you hit the button again... or until the camera goes off, or you enter a menu. Like JR, I find this behavior somewhat anoying, though I've now set the camera to shoot in raw mode, which is probably where it will stay most of the time.

Paul
pbender is offline   Reply With Quote