Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 18, 2006, 4:02 PM   #1

Hi All,

I've had the K10D for a couple of weeks, but have been holding off posting anything until I got to know the capabilities of the camera a little better. Even after having IS in the FZ 1v2 and FZ 30, I found myself really trying to push the SR way too far with verrrry slowwwww shutter speeds, but I'm kinda over that now. . .:-)

Here are some sparrows (sorry -- slim pickin's for birders in the Chicago 'burbs in the winter). All were shot in jpeg

K10D, ISO100, f7.65, 1/350, @2/3 frame crop, resized and sharpened very lightly.

K10D, ISO100, f7.65, 1/180, @2/3 frame crop, resized and sharpened very lightly.

K10D, ISO100, f7.65, 1/180, FF cropped to 5x7, resized and sharpened very lightly.

I only sharpened them a little to bring the downsized images back to what the originals looked like to me on the screen.

It's proabaly a good thing that I have until spring to really learn about the how to use this camera to do it justice. There's definitely a learning curve to using all the features compared to the DS.

Scott

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2006, 4:12 PM   #2

Nice,

and BTW did You try out the AF-C mode with K10D? Tried this last Saturday on ducks fighting for food delivered by children on a small pond (rather much action there...) and was VERY impressed compared to my K100D- it has become more than useful!

Best and happy shooting, JR

Reps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 5:24 PM   #3

Nice shots of the sparrow. It looks quite plump for the winter. Looking forward to seeing more of your k10d shots.
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 5:57 PM   #4

Some very nice captures Scott. Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 11:21 PM   #5

That poor little fellow sure looks cold and all fluffed up. Nice pictures!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 2:07 AM   #6

nice shots, love the feather detail.
Ronny
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 4:02 PM   #7

Great detail in the birds plumage. So far most of mine have come rather "thin" for want of a better film comparison. PP only seems to make things worse. That said, the ones that do work are acceptable, just not printable!

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 4:20 PM   #8

Nice shots, I have noticed the K10D images seems to be smoother than my DS, I expect because the pixels are smaller on the same size sensor.

I know what you mean about thin pickings now that winter is here, especially for birds.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 4:35 PM   #9

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
Hi All,

I've had the K10D for a couple of weeks, but have been holding off posting anything until I got to know the capabilities of the camera a little better. Even after having IS in the FZ 1v2 and FZ 30, I found myself really trying to push the SR way too far with verrrry slowwwww shutter speeds, but I'm kinda over that now. . .:-)

Here are some sparrows (sorry -- slim pickin's for birders in the Chicago 'burbs in the winter). All were shot in jpeg

K10D, ISO100, f7.65, 1/350, @2/3 frame crop, resized and sharpened very lightly.

K10D, ISO100, f7.65, 1/180, @2/3 frame crop, resized and sharpened very lightly.

K10D, ISO100, f7.65, 1/180, FF cropped to 5x7, resized and sharpened very lightly.

I only sharpened them a little to bring the downsized images back to what the originals looked like to me on the screen.

It's proabaly a good thing that I have until spring to really learn about the how to use this camera to do it justice. There's definitely a learning curve to using all the features compared to the DS.

Scott
Scott,

Nice shots.
I know what you mean by winter birdie shots in the Great Lake area. You had that hand-held or on tripod? But with range 300mmx1.5x1.7, there is quite something if you did those handheld.
I did not chase after the Pentax 1.7x last night (UK ) and lost by $5. That is fine with me this time of the yr though.
Keep posting .

Daniel
Toronto
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 6:11 PM   #10

Thanks ALL,

Reps -- I really haven't tried AF-C yet -- haven't had any real chances. If it works as I hope, maybe I'll be able to start getting some better BIF!

Royce and Harriet -- Actually not too cold here now -- that 12"+ snowfall is all but melted -- but I've been feeding them, so I'm at least partially to blame. I like to think of them as posing and proud :-)

Dal -- IMO the secret to getting good feather detail is to get close. Sometimes it's due to luck, and sometimes patience (or both!). A great lens helps, but isn't absolutely necessary (as illustrated by some great shots posted here with "consumer" zooms not known for their absolute sharpness). That being said -- I like using a great lens -- makes it easier -- :-).

Tom -- I have to agree with you there (I guess so does Phil at DPR :lol. I'm playing with all the settings, trying to find something that I can use as a default, and then develop some PP procedures to consistently get what I want. My feeling at this time is that with the features of the K10D, it will be easier to get the shot, and the I'm convinced that the detail is there -- I just have to find out how to best bring it out without going to RAW. I'm getting closer, I think, and I have all winter to figure it out. I'm primarily a Jpeg guy, and would kind of like to stay that way.

Daniel -- They were handheld (as is my usual MO). I'm finding that the K10D's SR is helping here, though I was getting pretty good hit rates with the DS. Even with SR, it's still not easy, but I'm getting a higher percentage of shots not heavily effected by camera shake, and I've gotten some good ones with shutter speeds that weren't possible with the DS. For some reason, the FA*300, with or without the 1.7x AFA is the right weight and length for me to handhold. I don't do nearly as well with my Tokina 80-200/2.8 AF or the 80-400 AF which are heavier, or the A 70-210/4 with the TC which is lighter.

BTW, I was shocked to see the GBH shots you posted -- they are long gone here, and I'm significantly south of you. The downy WPs were great too -- I've been looking, but haven't seen any -- and I know they are around somewhere.

I'd really try for the 1.7x AFA if I were you -- it'd be great with your A*300/4.

I was really close to these guys, @ 9-12 feet is my guess. There's a row of bushes where these guys like to hang out in the winter, and I encourage them by throwing bird feed out every day. There must be @ 30 of them that are regulars, so I have 1 place I can almost always count on to have some birds to shoot for testing purposes (it does get boring shooting sparrows all the time, but an occasional Junco or Cardinal finds it's way to the area, so there's some occasional diversity.

Scott

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote