Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 19, 2006, 12:29 PM   #1

I'm kind of surprised that it's this difficult to find a program that can edit the camera-created exif data.

A few of my lenses do not provide my DL with focal length information, but since they're all primes, I'm looking for a way to go in after the fact and add appropriate focal length information to the exif - so that pictures taken at 18mm and pictures taken at 400mm both don't say "0"!

I think I could probably use one of the command-line tools to export the data to a text file, edit that, and re-import it - but that's a lot of work, to say the least.

I looked at exifer and it doesn't seem to be able to do it. My usual tool, Irfanview, cannot either.

Does such a tool exist? And if not, does anyone know why not? Is there some unspoken agreement that exif data is sacred? (No, I'm not planning on taking ISO200 photos, changing them to read ISO1600, and bragging about the low noise of my camera!)

Thanks!

Damfino is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2006, 1:02 PM   #2

i use reveal1.2
http://albumshaper.sourceforge.net/
and exifer
http://www.friedemann-schmidt.com/software/exifer/

the first link will let you add/edit the exif
2nd link will let you add an email addy, your name, and a copyright note. it's nice because you can batch all files at once. ck the info in this pic.

roy
Attached Images

Old Dec 19, 2006, 1:03 PM   #3

i added the 500mm info as the lens was totally manual.
and also the f-stop.

here's an in depth online reader
http://regex.info/exif.cgi

roy
Old Dec 19, 2006, 1:36 PM   #4

by the way. I use firefox with opanda exif viewer plugin. but most of the time when I click right mouse button on the picture and select view exif from context menu it says: this image doesn't support exif info. but when I save this photo to my computer it works fine. any ideas what's wrong??

greg
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 3:25 PM   #5

Thanks for the link, Roy, I'll give that a shot. Doing what you did is exactly what I'm after.

For adding things like names/email addresses, I'll stick with Irfanview - its Thumbnail view can do the batch adds (part of the ongoing task of organizing my photos), and I'm very comfortable using it. It's by far the most useful under-one-meg piece of photo software out there! But it only lets you edit the IPTC, not the exif.

gfurm, since you use Firefox, you might have better luck with FxIF, which is a native Firefox entension (no need to install any standalone apps), works fine for me and I haven't had any problems with it not reading exif data. The only thing I wish it'd do is let you choose what fields to display, but it does a decent job of showing you the important ones.

Old Dec 22, 2006, 2:22 PM   #6

I thought I'd update this thread as I finally found a quick and easy way of doing it.

The Reveal program that Roy mentioned does work but I couldn't find a way to do batch changes and it would be pretty cumbersome to do all the photos one at a time.

Exifer seems like it will do it but I'll be darned if I can figure out how.

Finally I found a very quick, easy, and free solution and thought some others (especially lovers of the Zenitar and/or older prime lenses) may find it useful. It's even fairly cross-platform.

First step is to download ExifTool - Windows users like me will probably want to grab the stand-alone executable. Extract it into its own folder.

Next, open your favorite text editor (Notepad should work fine) and copy/paste the text between the lines:
--------------------
"exiftool(-k).exe" -FocalLength=16.0mm -FocalLengthIn35mmFormat=24 *.jpg
--------------------

Non-Windows users will change the executable name slightly, and if you want to run it on your RAW files, change it to "*.pef" at the end. Unix users may or may not need to make the "jpg" or "pef" in all caps, depending on how their files are stored.

Save this file as "zenitar.bat" or whatever you want to call it.

To use it, copy or move the JPGs or PEFs that you took with your Zenitar into that folder. Run the batch file and it will insert the appropriate focal length into the EXIF data as well as back up the originals. Keep the backups if you do desire or toss 'em, there SHOULD be no change in any other data. Move the pictures back to your usual location.

For lenses other than the Zenitar, just change the focal lengths in the batch script. You can create different ones for your different lenses, just copy your files in the exiftool folder and run the appropriate batch file.

Hope someone out there finds this useful - I'm glad to have finally figured out a quick and easy way of doing this!

Old Dec 22, 2006, 2:48 PM   #7

Reveal will ''only'' do single files.
Exifer will do an entire folder but you can not alter the existing info. however, you have a 'comment' option. you can put the focal length in that.. but, it will not work on pef files.

roy
Old Dec 22, 2006, 3:35 PM   #8

IDImager (www.idimager.com) will edit all EXIF (& XMP) fieldseither singly or in batch. The lite version, which includes this capability is free.
dave_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2006, 3:51 PM   #9

Dave_g, thanks for the tip on idimager... unfortunately it's one of those programs that makes you register with them to download the free version, which I prefer not to do, even if only giving them an email address. Hopefully they'll make it truly free to download at some point in the future.

I'm pretty happy with the exiftool and batch file technique... a couple minutes of setup then just you can set all your focal length information instantly in the future. Works with PEFs too and is cross-platform - what more could you ask for?

This is especially good for me as I'm comfortable with Irfanview and am not interested in switching my main image management program, I just want something to add the focal length and nothing else.

Old Dec 22, 2006, 4:36 PM   #10

dave_g wrote: [quote]IDImager (Damfino,, what's wrong. don't you have a couple of freebie mail accounts that you use for stuff like this???

roy