Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 19, 2006, 2:02 PM   #1

The reason I am posting this conern on the pentax web page, is because I thought that Steve's Digicam would be the first to publish a full review of Pentax k10. As it turns out, dpreview was the first and even that review represents a long wait all things considered. I wanted to see how that camera turned out before committing to a specific dslr "brand". And I value the reveiws of Steve's digicam more than the others. But I have been waiting and waiting and waiting.

When I first began bookmarking my favorite digital camera web sites, Steve's Digicams was right up there with my favorites. I felt something refreshingly unique about the topics and commonsense that he brought to his camera reviews. They really spoke to me. But I'm having second thoughts about the vigilance of his dslr reviews. I just don't see any additions to the same four "most recent dslr reviews" listed on his homepage. Yes the digicam review list grows and grows. But there have been so many interesting dslr's that have come out since I first started following this web site, that I'm disappointed month after month at the lack of new dslr reviews.

ChaCha
chacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2006, 2:18 PM   #2

We've all been there. When I was waiting to buy my Pentax K100D it was killing me that were only 3 reviews to be found anywhere on the internet. It was quite a while before Steve posted his, but when he did, it was worth the wait.

I don't know Steve. I don't know if he has a different job of any kind or if this place is a full-time gig for him. I will say that in reading a good comprehensive review, it obviously takes a great deal of time to do it properly. Factor in the huge number of new edititions to the digicam market lately, and I would imagine it's a lot to keep up with.

Hang in there. You'll start seeing those reviews soon.
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 2:39 PM   #3

I find it hard to understand why these reviews are the Holy Grail for deciding on what camera to buy, when I find the everyday user and their feedback much more informative no matter what forum you are reading.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 2:39 PM   #4

haha, take into account those 1 or 2 female subjects he always shoots in his reviews.. with all these reviews he's done, i'm sure it depends on their cooperation as well.

steve: i'm testing out a new camera!
female subject: oh no, not another one...
plagued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 2:40 PM   #5

What I certainly would NOT want is for someone to rush through their review of a camera. The K10 has just come out, availability is still not that high, and it's not the only new camera out there. I wouldn't expect Steve to be able to do a review on it until at least another month or so, and yes - I expect it will be worth waiting for.

Besides, if you wait a few months (and read the review)the supply will be greater, prices will come down and you'll save money. Or buy a K100 now along with the kit lens and play with it for a while. You won't have much money invested, you'll know what limitations the kit lens has so you'll have a good idea of what other lenses you'll want and then when the review comes out you'll be in a better position to judge whether to stick with the Pentax line or sell the K100 and kit lens. Since prices on the K100 aren't that high now, you won't lose much money doing it this way. Who knows - you might find the K100 will fill your needs very well, or else you'll know exactly what it is about the K10 that you'd want over what you have in the K100.

Personally, I love having 2 camera bodies, so my K100 isn't going anywhere even though I now have the K10.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 3:55 PM   #6

dslr reviews are just what they are reviews, the results are what the reviewer makes of it. And there is no reviewer that is not biased. They are also people.

The only way for me to go is to take a good look at the results they have produced and make my own mind up.

My idea about the k10d
For me the SR, Sv are things another brand doesn't have and that I realy like. Compairing their images there is a difference in the 100% crops, but this will only show if you print really large, or crop very hard, but that is something you do in PP so the step to some extra sharpening is very low, and I then like the idea that the sharpening in camera isn't hard. These are things that are important to me directly linked to the way i process my pictures, there is no reviewer who would have said that.

So you can look at the reviews but in the end its still you yourself that has to make the decission.

Ronny

rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 4:37 PM   #7

Go to this older thread for a link to one of the most interesting articles on the K10D and its relationship to C & N offerings

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80

philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 4:43 PM   #8

chacha wrote:
Quote:
The reason I am posting this conern on the pentax web page, is because I thought that Steve's Digicam would be the first to publish a full review of Pentax k10. As it turns out, dpreview was the first and even that review represents a long wait all things considered. I wanted to see how that camera turned out before committing to a specific dslr "brand". And I value the reveiws of Steve's digicam more than the others. But I have been waiting and waiting and waiting.

When I first began bookmarking my favorite digital camera web sites, Steve's Digicams was right up there with my favorites. I felt something refreshingly unique about the topics and commonsense that he brought to his camera reviews. They really spoke to me. But I'm having second thoughts about the vigilance of his dslr reviews. I just don't see any additions to the same four "most recent dslr reviews" listed on his homepage. Yes the digicam review list grows and grows. But there have been so many interesting dslr's that have come out since I first started following this web site, that I'm disappointed month after month at the lack of new dslr reviews.

ChaCha
What's your point? If you're burning to have the latest and greatest dSLR then be a pioneer and take the arrows. You can even be the first kid on your block to review the camera. On the other hand, if you want someone else, such as Steve, to reassure you that you won't have buyers remorse than you're going to have to wait a while for that assurance. That seems fair enough doesn't it?
bill.guenthner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 7:29 PM   #9

Knowledge first. Then decide. It works. ChaCha
chacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2006, 10:00 AM   #10

There are other sources for gaining the knowledge you seek. This is one of them and it is obvious it is not to your liking as it is not in the timely fashion you expect.

There are many reasons for why the reviews are not out yet but it seems you have nothing better to do but start something in a negative tone.

Steve and the rest who make this site possible can only do so much. He does not review every camera but I am sure that the K10D will come.

I suggest you delete this from your favorites and find some other site that suits your needs.

Your post was an unecessary dig on this site and you should think about that before shooting your post off.

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote