Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 19, 2006, 2:32 PM   #1

Took this today since the sun was out for a change.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2006, 10:12 PM   #2

Wow Tom, you actually have blue skies, while we in california are having colder than normal and gloomy weather.

Very nice shot. You among others keep me inspired for when I can get out to the wildlife refuge (or my own backyard for that matter)and start practicing more with my ds and my new sigma 70-300mm.

Thanks for sharing,

Bev
Maw Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 10:55 PM   #3

Thanks Bev,

Each day I try to set the K10D to a different setting and see what the result will be. Today I got out late and the sun was behind the bird, so I had seroius backlighting to deal with in PP, but the sky was very blue.

I will be out there (SF) in a little over a week, so I hope the weather clears up for some photography along the ocean.

Tom
Old Dec 19, 2006, 10:56 PM   #4

Beautiful clean and sharp capture Tom.

Was this on automatic or special/custom setting?

I usually do my bird pix in AV and the K10D @ 400 ISO.
Ian Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 11:18 PM   #5

Shot it at ISO 200, SR on, 300mm lens, 1/250 sec, f/4.5 (wide open), PEF file, Pentax Photo Lab processing, Dial set at P (Hyper-program) which I loved on my PZ-1P and am trying out on the K10D.

I can still change the aperture and shutter speeds if I want with the front and rear dial in case I don't like what the camera picks and the exposure stays the same.

I usually use ISO 400 for birds and animals with the DS, but am trying all settings with the K10D to see what I like.

Tom
Old Dec 20, 2006, 12:29 AM   #6

This is an interesting shot. I can tell that the bird was way up in the tree due to all of the branches that are out of focus but in the shot. You mentioned that this scene was backlit. Either you got the right exposure or did a heck of a job post processing it because the end result was very well exposed. The details that I actually really like of this photo is not the bird, but actually the bark of the branch. Sounds odd right? But the details of the bark, the surface texture came out very sharp and clean. I would imagine that due to the backlit lighting, that the original scene would have more contrast and shadows, but you did a good job evening it out to a point where the lighting seemed more balanced.
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2006, 12:56 AM   #7

Thanks Tom

All helps to put the jigsaw together.

I think I might try 200 ISO for non flight shots.

Just waiting for my Tamron 70/300 macro PKAF.
Ian Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2006, 6:10 AM   #8

as usual tom, tack sharp.
these little birds are tough to get as they never sit still long enough..
i want an FA*300 but it's doubtful. last one on the bay went for 2100+usd.
roy
Old Dec 20, 2006, 7:13 AM   #9
TC3

Ennacac i like the pic a lot. I was actually hoping for some snow while i am in Racine over Xmas and New Year as we dont get a white Xmas in the UK too often.
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2006, 8:15 AM   #10

If you are talking about Racine Wiscinsin, they did get about a foot of snow a few weeks ago, but due to warmer than normal temps it is gone now. There is a snow storm coming up from the south this weekend, but it is up for grabs if it will be snow or rain due to the temp.

I am going to be in the Milwaukee area over Christmas and may go to the zoo of the weather is sunny, but I will have to see about that.

Tom