Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 19, 2006, 5:42 PM   #1

I read somewhere that for the DS and DL. I'm not sure about the K100D or K10D, the best jpeg images are had by setting your camera up this way -

Natural images/sharpness +1/contrast -1

This is what gives the most natural and sharp looking jpegs out of camera. At least I think that is what has been said. I just wondered if everyone agrees on this or you have come up with your own favorite setting for jpegs. Has anyone heard this before and I wonder who decided these were the best settings- Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2006, 6:10 PM   #2

I believe this is the setting that produces a more natural colour with improved sharpness but it's a tad bland for my liking - I used to use Bright before I moved across the RAW which allows greater control over the final image even when using PPL to batch process the RAW files.

PPL v2 (only supports up to *istDS) processed shotsappear much the same as JPEG (Bright mode)in terms of colour/saturation but with improved sharpness which is my personal preference.

PPL v2.1 processed look pretty much the same as JPEG (Natural)

PPL v3 processed are slightly sharper than PPL v2.1.

I always use a graphics package (CS2) to enhance shots that I want to use modifying the histogram, highlights/shadowsand adding in sharpness with USM.

Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 6:18 PM   #3

Settings depend on the individual looking at the picture, mostly. I thought the "vivid" mode on the DS was over-the-top for my tastes, so used the natural mode and shot mostly raw, so the contrast/sharpening etc. settings didn't make a difference. The first thing I did with the K100 wasput it on natural and never tried the bright mode at all.

My most recent experience shooting bright and natural modes with the K10 lead me to believe that Pentax significantly changed the bright mode with the K100. I was pleasantly surprised that it isn't so garish and I'll probably use it when taking macro pictures of flowers.

As far as I'm concerned, even with jpgs I'd rather leave it on 0 for sharpness, then do whatever sharpening I want in Photoshop. I prefer having control of it because so often sharpness is over-done.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 7:22 PM   #4

When I use my DS in jpeg mode it is usually for sports and I sacrifice some image control for memory card capacity.

My camera is set for natural and the sharpness and contrast are set in the middle.

I still tweak these parameters on the computer, so that is why I try not to go to any extreme with in-camera processing.

Of course I shoot raw when quality is a more important consideration.

philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2006, 12:05 AM   #5

I shoot almost always in jpg in my DS and used the bright mode because I liked the color right out of the camera, and rarely used RAW because it required more PP than jpg did.

With the K10D is am still playing with the settings and have tried jpg, which I like, but the natural mode seems flat to me color wise, so I may go for bright once again, but time will tell.

I like the RAW modes in the K10D, but the PEF files can only be read with the Pentax conversion program, so that is kind of a pain. The PEF files seem to be smaller than the DNG files since I can get more on a card than I can with DNG.

You have to deal with what works for you, so play with all the modes and use the one that works for you, not what works for others.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2006, 2:26 AM   #6

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
I like the RAW modes in the K10D, but the PEF files can only be read with the Pentax conversion program, so that is kind of a pain. The PEF files seem to be smaller than the DNG files since I can get more on a card than I can with DNG.
There is a program called UFRaw that can be used to read in the PEF files and do some other manipulations with them (including saving to JPEG). It can also act as a plugin for the GIMP, which is how I use it. UFRaw can read DNG files as well, if you want to use that format.

More info can be found on the UFRaw website:
http://ufraw.sf.net

Paul
pbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2006, 9:07 AM   #7

Bruce, I have my DS2 set up just like you say: Natural image tone, saturation 0, sharpness +1, and contrast -1. I shoot mostly JPG, and I find I like the images right out of the camera that way (it seems the extra sharpness slightly increases the contrast, so I think it looks good to lower the contrast setting). It also seems to give a little more dynamic range (better detail in shadows and highlights). If I need more contrast or saturation, I can add it in postprocessing.

In spite of the controversies over JPG quality, I've been very happy with my DS2 JPG quality. Even with sharpness set at +1, I often sharpen more in postprocessing, using a tight radius (0.3) and amounts between 100 and 300.

Of course, it's all personal preference, which is why the cameras come with the ability to change the settings!

Dan
dan-mx-ds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2006, 11:13 AM   #8

Dan - I think it was Dpreview that I saw these setting promoted on several different posts. I shot mostly raw last year, but the resources on an old computer are quite a bit compared to shooting jpeg.

I have a friend that is into bird photography and he uses a D70 Nikon. He is very good. I asked him once if he shoots in raw and he snickered and said never. "I can get just as good a pictures with high quality jpegs and a lot less trouble", he said.

I think that for most outdoor shots where you don't have a white balance issue and get the exposure pretty close, he may be right. Anyway, I thought I would play with it more this year and see. I really like Irfanview for processing jpegs and that is what I use to crop and resize, then a final slight sharpening.

I have found though that if you are more then1/2 to 3/4 stop off on your exposure, you cannot correct it like you can in raw to look natural. I think what it boils down to is getting to know your camera and what it can do- Bruce

bper is offline   Reply With Quote