Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 20, 2006, 3:46 PM   #1

K10D as a really good 'walk-around' companion? I went back out to the camera shop, earlier today, to check out a good lens, good camera bag, and some other accessories (trying to gain a clear picture of what I should get BEFORE the money gets here :-)). The salesman brought out the above mentioned lens, and lauded it as being a super one. But I wanted to get opinions from you, here.

Blessings,

Nate

.................................................. .................................................. ....................................

UPDATE: After a little browsing around, here, I ran across a post where another (seemingly better) lens was mentioned. The comparison shots - at 200mm - betwixt three lenses (Sigma 18-200mm, Tamron 18-200mm, and Pentax 50-200mm) illustrated a remarkable difference - in favor of the Pentax. So, as it now stands, it appears that this is the lens that I may shoot for. I kind'a didn't want to have to carry around (for the most part) more than one lens, but the sharpness of that lens really appealed to me. I do know that I will want the fastest lens that I can get, for low-light shooting, and any information on this would begreatly appreciated also.

NLAlston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2006, 4:04 PM   #2

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/len...3563/index.htm

http://www.photodo.com/topic_22.html

http://www.photodo.com/topic_58.html

All the reviews I seen with pics, it seems pretty nice to me. This was one I was going for, but decided since I have the kit lens, I would just go with the pentax 50-200mm... After seeing results from that lens, I think that has better IQ than the sigma and tamron.
Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2006, 4:09 PM   #3

Thanks, Flako.

Yes, I had found some very interesting info on that lens (Pentax 50-200mm) just prior to finding that you had responded to my post. That may indeed be one that I pick up.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 4:16 PM   #4

No problem mang... Check this one out too.

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/p...100d-test.html:|
Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2006, 4:31 PM   #5

Flako - thanks again.

Pretty darn impressive ~ what I saw.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 4:38 PM   #6

Because it's very long zoom range (10x) the picture quality will suffer. especialy comparing to Pentax 50-200 (that's just 4x). and as I remember it's not that expensive, which means rather average optical performance. if you are after picture quality first forget lens like that. with such wide range it has to be compromise.

building 10x zoom for SLR and 10x for compact is completly different matter. making 10x zoom for compact is considerably easier because of smaller sensor and much shorter focal lenght, that's why there are some great compact powerzooms out there (like Panasonic with Leica lens), but for DSLR it's way better to get two lenses. unless you make 4x6 prints, then you won't see any difference.

it's just my opinion on lenses like that

greg
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2006, 11:03 PM   #7

Thanks Greg ~

It means so much to be able to gain such valuable help & info from you, and others here. One of my main goals with the camera is to make large prints of photos, for framing & sales - so picture quality is very important to me. If carrying around more than one lens is to be necessary, then I'd really have NO problem doing so - to best achieve my aim.

Lately, there has been much talk (from local concerns) about my erasing the K10D from my camera list, and that I should (instead) consider the Canon 5D, the Olympus 30D, and the Nikon D200. All of those would be within my financial range, but the purchase of the K10D would leave more monies for a couple of nice lenses, as well as some extra gear - not to mention the WS/IS and other features of this DSLR. I had perused some info on the other mentioned cameras, and learned that there are some shortcomings with all of them. Unlike before my researchings, I now know that there is no such thing as the one perfect camera - which explains (at least in my way of thinking) why you see photographers with more than one camera. Well, I can't afford more than one, unless I wanted to be without lenses - or anything else :-).

With the $3000 I am just trying to make the most/best of it, with my photographic concerns. This may sound strange to all, but one thing - that is a must - is that the camera be of large (or larger than average) body. I have big hands, and would need something that will sit comfortably within them (as mentioned before, heftiness would not be a negative thing. In fact, I'd welcome it).

So, any and all info would (as always) be appreciated.

Blessings,

Nate

Old Dec 20, 2006, 11:45 PM   #8

NLA... would you happen to have a link of the 3 lens comparison?

Thanks
fisheye4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2006, 11:57 PM   #9

Fisheye4,

I am SO sorry that I cannot remember where I was when I saw that comparison. I had been flying about - all over the 'net - and have been doing some real 'deep reachings' for the sake of recollection. But I will keep trying and (if and when successful) I will get that link to you PRONTO.

Blessings,

Nate
Old Dec 21, 2006, 12:21 AM   #10

Hey Nate,

While the Tamron zoom will take nice snapshots, and it's very convenient, you won't get the best picture quality from it. If you're printing 4x6 or 5x7, it should be fine. However,I think you'll see a difference when you start printing 8x10 or larger.

If you're looking to take shots that you can frame and sell, you'll need good lenses. The nice thing about Pentax is that you can buy very good, older prime lenses that are fast. You'll have to use them as manual focus, and maybe manual aperture, but that's half the fun. I just ordered an old 300mm f/4.0 prime. Compared to my 28-300 Tamron zoom, it's much bigger (over 2lbs!), but much faster (f/4.0 vs. f/6.3).

To me, the best telephoto prime bargain out there is the 135mm f/2.8 or f/2.5. You can find them for $50 or less, and they're great concert lenses.

Stick with the K10D. You'll get a great camera and still have plenty of money left for some wonderful lenses.

Good luck!

Russ
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote