Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 21, 2006, 1:06 PM   #11

rhermans wrote:
Quote:
It's good to compare but ...:idea:... its better to take pictures
Exactly! Couldn't have said it better. I'd like to see more pictures and less angst.
bill.guenthner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2006, 1:58 PM   #12

dave_g wrote:
Quote:
The only item in the DPR review I found to be a concern was the slightly lower dynamic range of the K10. It will be interesting to see if this is corroborated by other reviews.
I was a bit concerned about that, too, so I looked at some of DPR's other camera reviews with respect to RAW Headroom Dynamic Range:

K10D: The best we could achieve (with some pretty extreme ACR settings) was just over 10 stops total dynamic range, and more importantly about a stop more highlight range (although with no guarantee of color accuracy in highlights).

XTi: The best we could achieve (with some pretty extreme ACR settings) was just over 10 stops total dynamic range, and more importantly about a stop more highlight range (although with no guarantee of color accuracy).

D80: The best we could achieve (with some extreme ACR settings) was a pretty impressive 10.4 stops total dynamic range, most of this is at the shadow end (the highlight range, above middle gray) gains just under one stop.

A100: The best we could achieve (with some pretty extreme ACR settings) was a pretty impressive 10.5 stops total dynamic range, most of this however is at the shadow end (the highlight range, above middle gray) remains at around 3.4 EV.

Personally, I don't see a huge discrepancy among this crop of 10Mp cameras. Not enough to disuade me from buying a K10D with its outstanding feature line-up and competitive pricing. The choice was an easy one for me.

Curtis
Curtis Coates is offline   Reply With Quote