Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 21, 2006, 4:16 AM   #1

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-...00JE2D&tag=

At Dell.com, it seems that the sale is just for yesterday $200 drop Jan 3 delivery. That is mindboggingly fast.

I am not surprised though.

2 possibilities.

1. Market force as Canon Xti (body only) is at $799 at Dell.com; Pentax has to match and next supply will be more than abundant

or 2. Next body K11D or 645D? More like K11D.

As I always say. Keep your prime or * lens. There is always the next better camera body which is essentially a consumer electronic item

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2006, 5:14 AM   #2

the only price i have seen here (western australia) was $1399au body only
it would be nice if it dropped

as a comparison my ds was around $950au with the sigma lens about 18 months ago
Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2006, 5:35 AM   #3

$AU 1269.00 Pentax K10D Digital SLR Camera - Body Only The Pentax K10D Digital SLR
Digital Camera Warehouse (NSW) | www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au | updated: 21-12-2006

from - http://www.staticice.com.au/index.html
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2006, 8:27 AM   #4

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-...00JE2D&tag=

At Dell.com, it seems that the sale is just for yesterday $200 drop Jan 3 delivery. That is mindboggingly fast.

I am not surprised though.

2 possibilities.

1. Market force as Canon Xti (body only) is at $799 at Dell.com; Pentax has to match and next supply will be more than abundant

or 2. Next body K11D or 645D? More like K11D.

As I always say. Keep your prime or * lens. There is always the next better camera body which is essentially a consumer electronic item

Daniel
I'm not sure what deal they were referring to; dell had 15% off all electronics through this morning - i used a stackable 10% off dell coupon i bought on ebay for $4 to get the camera w/kit lens for $764 plus tax, and paid for 2 day shipping - total was $830. thats not really a price drop, dell had everything for sale for christmas. i dont think any other retailers will be following suit. mine has an estimated ship date of 01/05. i cant wait!
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2006, 8:48 AM   #5

Camera Solutions in the Murray Street Mall (Perth, WA) has the K10D bodies advertised for AU$1199. My bet is that they'll be under a grand before Easter.
perigee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2006, 9:32 AM   #6

All camera prices fall after a few months - I would expect the K10 to drop right after Christmas (assuming supply comes close to meeting demand).

Costco has the Rebel XTi for $799 (didn't get close enough to the sign to read what was in the box) and a D80 kit with two lenses for $1299 (think that's what it said - didn't see which two lenses were included, there were too many people looking at cameras last night). No Pentax cameras, though.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2006, 11:19 AM   #7

So whats happening to all the DL and DS's? I seem to be the only one that is still using a DL and happy with it. I wonder what they going for used on the bay right now. The poor review on the K10D on Dpreview has things in an uproar over there, not to mention the great reviewon the D40 Nikon toadd saltto the wound.

The funny thing is the pictures I've seen with the K10D, both here and there look great. Maybe people put to much weight on a review and not enough on the actual pictures, which I thought was what a camera was for in the first place. Anyway, I'm sticking with my lowly DL and enjoying the pictures it is capable of,now that my LBA hassubsided - Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2006, 11:19 AM   #8

Dell's deal would have applied to any product, although I would anticipate that Pentax will have to drop the price of the K10D in order to remain competitive.

Amazon had the Sony Alpha last week for $719, and i've seen the kit for $799 locally as well. I don't think it will be long before the K10D drops a little bit.
intence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2006, 1:29 PM   #9

intence wrote:
Quote:
Dell's deal would have applied to any product, although I would anticipate that Pentax will have to drop the price of the K10D in order to remain competitive.

I think that Dell's deal is not indicative of a price drop for the k10d. it was a discount across the board, and the k10d was so buried in their website you're lucky to find it! i'm sure they're losing money, i sure hope they don't find some lame excuse to cancel mine and other's orders.

As far as a price drop, why bother when demand is high and stock is limited? bottom line is maybe not AS many people will buy it because of the DPR review, but it will remain a hot item for awhile. Until the very least, it has some TRUE competitors at this price point. I think Pentax created a new niche with the K10d - on price it competes with several models, while on features it borders on serious amateur/semi-pro (which would ultimately play out with their upcoming lens offerings). Until C&N play catchup - either on features for lower end models, or price on higher end models, i doubt any serious pricedrops will happen (serious being like 20%+ in my mind).

Oh yeah, seeing as a requirement (by the wife!) for getting the K10d is selling my DL, i checked it out on ebay. anywhere from $350 to $500 depending on what is included with the auction (and of course how savvy the seller is).

milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2006, 1:38 PM   #10
Administrator

bper wrote:
Quote:
So whats happening to all the DL and DS's? I seem to be the only one that is still using a DL and happy with it. I wonder what they going for used on the bay right now. The poor review on the K10D on Dpreview has things in an uproar over there, not to mention the great reviewon the D40 Nikon toadd saltto the wound.
To quotewhat I was told in a recent phone conversation"we just want the *istD series cameras to go away, it was a bad choice for a model name, at least in the U.S." I won't attribute the quote farther than saying that this came from someone who gets their paycheck from Pentax Imaging. I always thought it was a poor choice for a camera name, the new Kxxx naming makes a lot more sense for Pentax.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote