Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 21, 2006, 5:12 PM   #1

[align=center]
I was lent a Pentax K10D by a friend. I have to say the build quality and operation are very good but - bottom line - the image quality was poor. There was a lack of resolution (I did comparisons with a Konica Minolta A2 and the K10D actually was slightly worse at low ASA settings. The biggest disappointment was the exposure. The camera overexposed by about a whole stop in bright light, using the matrix metering and underexposed by near 2 stops (yes - two) in dark conditions - using the inbuilt flash. The pictures could be corrected with Photshop, but that's not the point....

[/align]
Bet you're all thinking that this was just a faulty camera eh? - No. This camera was sent back immediately to Pentax by the guy who bought it. He thought that there must be some obvious fault. Pentax returned it as "operating acceptably (to who?).

All in all this camera is an "also ran". Better get the Canon 400 or the Sony Alpha instead.

irivlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2007, 12:18 AM   #2

irivlin wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

[align=center]
I was lent a Pentax K10D by a friend. I have to say the build quality and operation are very good but - bottom line - the image quality was poor. There was a lack of resolution (I did comparisons with a Konica Minolta A2 and the K10D actually was slightly worse at low ASA settings. The biggest disappointment was the exposure. The camera overexposed by about a whole stop in bright light, using the matrix metering and underexposed by near 2 stops (yes - two) in dark conditions - using the inbuilt flash. The pictures could be corrected with Photshop, but that's not the point....

[/align]
Quote:
Bet you're all thinking that this was just a faulty camera eh? - No. This camera was sent back immediately to Pentax by the guy who bought it. He thought that there must be some obvious fault. Pentax returned it as "operating acceptably (to who?).

All in all this camera is an "also ran". Better get the Canon 400 or the Sony Alpha instead.
Quote:
:|[suB][suP]This kind of Horror Story is Best Served to the Un-Informed...[/suP][/suB]
Quote:
[suB][suP]There are NO dSLR Cameras made by any company that have High Sucess Rates when Handed-Off to ( Platform / UnTrained Persons - aka Canon, Nikon,Pentax ect ) It takestimeand experience to learn Any Camera System...[/suP][/suB][suB][suP]Two People that Don't Know a Specific Camera or Make / Doesn't make an Expert Opinion ![/suP][/suB]
Quote:
[suB][suP]I personally own a K10D and have compared it's output to Nikon, Canon &Fuji. [/suP][/suB][suB][suP]Once you pull back the sheets and look at the RAW Output you will find Surprizingly Little Difference between the Basic PhotoGraphic Abilities.[/suP][/suB]
Quote:
[suB][suP]You WILL HAVE TO LEARN TO SHOOT (ANY) OF THESE PLATFORMS... And Your Lenses.[/suP][/suB]
Quote:
[suB][suP]Where I personally perfer Pentax is in that there are ~ 24,000,000 Lenses, Many of them Mint/Used that are Relatively Inexpensive and ALL Are Image Stabilized when they are attached to the K10D or K100D Pentax Body...[/suP][/suB]
Quote:
[suB][suP]For Example I recently bought an Old/Mint 135mm f2.5 Soligor Lense for $32... [/suP][/suB][suB][suP]It's Super Fast / Stunningly Sharp + It's Image Stabilized - Pretty Amazing Value ![/suP][/suB]
Quote:
[suB][suP]Cheers,[/suP][/suB]
Quote:
[suB][suP]Orion[/suP][/suB] :G
Quote:
The Below Image was Shot Hand-Held with an Old/Manual T-Mount ( K10D / Image Stabilized ) 500mm Lense...
Quote:
Quote:
OrionM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 1:06 AM   #3

That's a very impressive picture. Actually the camera was found to be faulty by Pentax Australia. The technician who looked at it the first time had not been upgraded for the K10D but recently he went to a seminar on this model and serviced it. The camera has been improved a lot and with the (different) Sigma 17-200mm zoom, it gives a very good account of itself. I tried a Tamron 300mm SP F 2.8 on the camera and the results were really very good. I suspect the original lens was a significat contributor to the problem.

Thanks for the reply. Ian
Old Feb 1, 2007, 3:48 AM   #4

irivlin wrote:
Quote:
That's a very impressive picture. Actually the camera was found to be faulty by Pentax Australia. The technician who looked at it the first time had not been upgraded for the K10D but recently he went to a seminar on this model and serviced it. The camera has been improved a lot and with the (different) Sigma 17-200mm zoom, it gives a very good account of itself. I tried a Tamron 300mm SP F 2.8 on the camera and the results were really very good. I suspect the original lens was a significat contributor to the problem.
A Lense that has Problems Certainly CanSress-OutAny Camera. . .
Thanks... Prior to shooting the Robin, I'd recently gotten interested in Shooting the Moonbut Didn't Want to Throw a Bundle of Money at it... So I Tried an Optics Experiment !

Got on Ebay and found a Mint/Used Manual Focus 500mm/1000mm Prime Lense ( Came with 2x Doubler ) for a Total of $56 Delivered... I wasn't expecting Too Much !

[align=center]This Moon Shot Resulted from the 1st 500mm Test...
The Robin was another 500mm Test to See IF the "SR" Anti-Shake Reduction would work with Longer Lenses...

( Internal Limit is 800mm for "SR" on the K10D )

Indoor 3000mm (Reduced Scale ), 500mm & 2000mm Results from the Same $56 Lense

3000mm / Reduced Scale ( 500mm X 2x Extender X 3x Rear Tele-Converter )

500mm ( Lense Only )

2000mm ( 500mmX2x Extender X 2x Rear Tele-Converter )

Maybe Not Such a Bad $56 Optics Experiment. . .

Cheers,

Orion

[/align]
Old Feb 1, 2007, 7:59 AM   #5

That pic of the moon is s unbelievably good - it could have been taken from the Hubble telescope. Also, those pics of the watch are pin sharp. Yes, I now have to agree, the K10D seems just about unassailable for the price. I have a fairly high end film scanner (Minolta Dimage Multi Pro). I might load up some low ASA film and scan the negatives. If I get good results I'll post them. It'll be interesting to see how Kodak Tech Pan film (25asa) compares with your K10D. I'll be using a 560mm Leica lens on a Leicaflex SL on a very stable tripod.

All the best - Ian

Old Feb 1, 2007, 4:21 PM   #6

irivlin wrote:
Quote:
That pic of the moon is s unbelievably good - it could have been taken from the Hubble telescope. Also, those pics of the watch are pin sharp. Yes, I now have to agree, the K10D seems just about unassailable for the price. I have a fairly high end film scanner (Minolta Dimage Multi Pro). I might load up some low ASA film and scan the negatives. If I get good results I'll post them. It'll be interesting to see how Kodak Tech Pan film (25asa) compares with your K10D. I'll be using a 560mm Leica lens on a Leicaflex SL on a very stable tripod.

All the best - Ian

:idea:
Hi Ian,

Thanks, The Moon came in Better than I Expected ( A Nice Surprise ). . .

That'san Awesome Ideato compare the Resultsfrom Your High-End /Film Scanner& Kodak Film! Post your results ASAP ! Sounds like you've got some Great Equipment. I always wanted a High-End Film Scanner ( The Closest I ever got is an Epson Perfection 3170 Photo Scanner - Which Wouldn't competewith your Minolta Dimage Multi Pro )

On the Subject of Optics... You just Never KNOW until you do some Testing & Comparisons...

So Far, I've gotten MostlyPositive Surprises out of the K10D...Recently did Another Experiment to see how good some of the Older Glass works... Picked up a $32 Old Used/Mint Soligor 135mm f2.5 Manual Lense and set out at Sunset to see If I could get any Low Light Hand-Held Shots...

You might laugh at this Subject but itshows Details...

The Real Shocker was to Discover How Much Dynamic Range was Still Locked Away in this JPEG...
The Below Image is theAbove Image Lightned a little...

Needless to say... That seemed like a Fairly Sucessful $32 Optics Experiment... And Makes More Real the Idea of Shooting ( Hand-Held ) After Dark !

By Comparison I have a $500 Sigma 24-135mm f2.8 that is Not as Sharp Full Open... The Sigma isan AF Lenses but the K10D has a Built-In AF Indicatorfor Manual Focus Lenses- So AF is Not Always aBig Deal.

Cheers,

Orion :G

Old Feb 2, 2007, 3:32 PM   #7

Check out a scan I made of a shot I did with a Nikon FM2, with a Tamron SP 300mm F2.8 lens. I used Fuji 400asa neg film. This was taken from about 60 yards away from the subject (although this is just a guess - may have been more, maybe less). Not sure when I'll do the comparison between the K10D and the Tech Pan film. (It's not my camera, so I have to borrow it wen my friend's not using it).

http://www.rivlin.com/Tamron_300SP01_DeSpec.jpg

The file is about 5.5 mep and was compressed from the original tiff file (which was a whopping 129 megs).

Let me know what you think...

Ian
Old Mar 7, 2007, 5:53 AM   #8

OrionM wrote
Quote:

:idea:
Hi Ian,

Thanks, The Moon came in Better than I Expected ( A Nice Surprise ). . .

That'san Awesome Ideato compare the Resultsfrom Your High-End /Film Scanner& Kodak Film! Post your results ASAP ! Sounds like you've got some Great Equipment. I always wanted a High-End Film Scanner ( The Closest I ever got is an Epson Perfection 3170 Photo Scanner - Which Wouldn't competewith your Minolta Dimage Multi Pro )

On the Subject of Optics... You just Never KNOW until you do some Testing & Comparisons...

So Far, I've gotten MostlyPositive Surprises out of the K10D...Recently did Another Experiment to see how good some of the Older Glass works... Picked up a $32 Old Used/Mint Soligor 135mm f2.5 Manual Lense and set out at Sunset to see If I could get any Low Light Hand-Held Shots...

You might laugh at this Subject but itshows Details...

The Real Shocker was to Discover How Much Dynamic Range was Still Locked Away in this JPEG...
The Below Image is theAbove Image Lightned a little...

Needless to say... That seemed like a Fairly Sucessful $32 Optics Experiment... And Makes More Real the Idea of Shooting ( Hand-Held ) After Dark !

By Comparison I have a $500 Sigma 24-135mm f2.8 that is Not as Sharp Full Open... The Sigma isan AF Lenses but the K10D has a Built-In AF Indicatorfor Manual Focus Lenses- So AF is Not Always aBig Deal.

Cheers,

Orion :G

Hello Orion,

WOuld you please tell me how much make the 1st photo become the 2nd one??? What are the post processes you did???
I tried to increase the brightness or something else but it was hard for me to get similar result (not even close to it).

Thank you very much.
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 6:08 AM   #9

OrionM wrote:
Quote:
irivlin wrote:
Quote:
A Lense that has Problems Certainly Can┬*Sress-Out┬*Any Camera. . .
Thanks... ┬*Prior to shooting the Robin, I'd recently gotten interested in Shooting the Moon┬*but Didn't Want to Throw a Bundle of Money at it... So I Tried an Optics Experiment !

┬*Got on Ebay and found a Mint/Used Manual Focus 500mm/1000mm Prime Lense ( Came with 2x Doubler ) for a Total of $56 Delivered... I wasn't expecting Too Much !

[align=center]This Moon Shot Resulted from the 1st 500mm Test...
The Robin was another 500mm Test to See IF the "SR" Anti-Shake Reduction would work with Longer Lenses...

( Internal Limit is 800mm for "SR" on the K10D )

Indoor 3000mm (┬*Reduced Scale ), 500mm ┬*& 2000mm Results from the Same $56 Lense

3000mm / Reduced Scale ( 500mm X 2x Extender X 3x Rear Tele-Converter )

2000mm ( 500mm┬*┬*X┬*┬*2x Extender┬* X┬* 2x Rear Tele-Converter┬* )

Maybe Not Such a Bad $56 Optics Experiment. . .

Cheers,

Orion

[/align]
Orion

Very impressive pict indeed particularly the clock .
Is the 500mm a mirrow F8 lens? To have 2 TC stacked with little degradation is stunning.

Daniel

danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 9:16 AM   #10

:arrow:Hi Daniel,

It's a regular refractor syle TelePhoto Lense. . .

http://www.ezsoldauction.com/ebay/im...6/asp_6489.jpg

Mine is a Kalimar 500mm f8-f32 Full Manual T-Mount Lense.

I believe the same lense is sometimes sold under the Quantaray Brand. . .

http://www.image-banque.com/BPC/images/bpc08553a.jpg

http://www.image-banque.com/BPC/images/bpc08553.jpg

I'm not sure how the Quality is for most of these lenses but mine seems fairly good...

You can often find them in the $60 Range selling on Ebay...

Cheers,

Orion :|