Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 22, 2006, 4:27 AM   #11
TDN

Sounds more like a case of "the camera took the pictures" instead of "the photographer took the pictures" to me.

A camera isn't made to take pictures on its own. It needs a little help from its photographer.

If your camera overexposes or underexposes in a certain situation, there's a very simple solution. The Exposure Compensation button. They put it on there for a reason...

Also, your remark seems very useless without the actual images. Anyone can say they took 100 awful pictures with that camera...

By now you must have realised that this forum is not the ideal place for breaking down a camera. Unless your remarks are constructive and well underbuilt, they will not be appreciated here. Thank you.

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2006, 5:55 AM   #12

[align=center]
Actually, I didn't post pictures because, to do them justice, would require a RAW photo and this is huge file (I don't like to waste forum's bandwidth).

[/align]
One of the tests I did was to mount the cameras (set fo RAW)on a solid tripod and use - as close as possible - the same angle of view. (The lens on the Pentax is the 18-55mm "kit" lens - as supplied with the camera. I then kept the ASA at the same level (100) and ensured that the shutter speed and aperture were as close as possible. I tried both with the stabilizer on and off (as I understand that stabilizers on tripods can have a paradoxical effect). I also tried using flash and ambient light. Since the tripod (An old, heavy Linhof) was so solid, I didn't use the self timer. These pictures were taken at about 6ft and 17ft. I used manual and auto exposure. I focused on a Phillips screw on the wall, which gave something sharp and contrasty to home in on. Yes - I agree, it is hardly believable that the 8MP A2 Minolta gave a sharper pic than the Pentax. Can you imagine how disappointed I was - since I had virtually made up my mind that this camera was the one I'd buy myself. - (I've seen the K10D pics on the 'net and they were excellent).

With respect to the flash having inadequate power - yes, I'm aware of this but I only used the flash for the 8ft shots - any flash would be able to cope with this distance. (I did try manual, shutter priority and aperture priority).

Today I repeated some tests with the Pentax. I used both manual and auto focus and took pictures of distant scenes - again, the Pentax gave soft and pretty useless images. Then I looked a the lower parts of the picture - MUCH sharper. The camera is in fact focusing short. When set to infinity, it actually is focusing at about 50ft. Either the lens is faulty or the bayonet flange to film sensor is an incorrect distance - maybe a combination of the two? I'm confident the camera is a dud. Pentax simply couldn't have put the camera on a collimator - yet they declared the camera as "performing to specifications". I take your point re the fact that there's a learning curve. I won't assert the issue with the exposure until I've thoroughly acquainted myself with the manual and camera. But people out there should know that in my office (which is brightly lit) the real exposure is 1/30 sec at F 2.8 for 100ASA film (tested withtwoGossen meters, a Western Master "Euromaster", a Sekonic Studio and many other digital and film cameras -(and proven, by using Kodachrome slide film, which has only a 1/4 stop latitude).Yet, whatever I did with the settings, the Pentax wants to use 1/30 at F3.5at 800ASA - ie almost 3 stops over exposed.

Bear in mind that this camera is not mine - it was on loan to me by a friend who is a professional photographer (mainly weddings but he does some commercial photography). It was he who said that it wasn't focusing or exposing correctly, which is why I borrowed it in the first place to see what would happen when I used it. If there has been user error, then him and I, completely separately, have made preciselythe same errors - hardly likely. It was he who sent it to Pentax and had it returned as "Fine" that prompted him to offer it to me, in case he was making a silly mistake (we are all human).

I hope this clarifies the situation and assures the members of this forum that I haven't simply gone into this monolog in an irresponsible or frivolous manner.

Best wishes and happy Christmas to everyone
Ian

irivlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2006, 8:38 AM   #13

so, you're a professional photographer, and by the sounds of it professional camera reviewer; where's your review site? an online photo bucket even? surely you must have a pbase, flickr, kodak, target, anything, somewhere online where all your other work is stored? too bad this site doesn't have a user search feature to find your previous posts; i'm sure they'd all be very enlightening.

and your focus point was a philips screw with the 18-55mm kit lens from 17ft? come on now. surely that would have been easier with an fa*300 from 150ft? really.

you know, your posting timeframe is about the same time of day ricehich used to post....

milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2006, 9:25 AM   #14

milrodpxpx wrote:
Quote:
so, you're a professional photographer, and by the sounds of it professional camera reviewer; where's your review site? an online photo bucket even? surely you must have a pbase, flickr, kodak, target, anything, somewhere online where all your other work is stored? too bad this site doesn't have a user search feature to find your previous posts; i'm sure they'd all be very enlightening.

and your focus point was a philips screw with the 18-55mm kit lens from 17ft? come on now. surely that would have been easier with an fa*300 from 150ft? really.

you know, your posting timeframe is about the same time of day ricehich used to post....
My suspicion too.
Not only that. These threads give you very little background not to mention the lack of any pict reference pertaining to the point made.
Another clear indication is the negative heading - straight bashing
If I have trouble with my camera/accessories, I will pose question and symptoms and ask for help. Sorry. I will write for help in this forum before looking up the manual.

Daniel
Toronto

danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2006, 9:39 AM   #15

[align=center]
Please read my previous post. My friend is the professional photogaphernot I. There was no need for your spite and sarcasm. The Phillips screw was in the wall, where other items were attached to focus on. May I just ask why you are being so unpleasant and snide? - Anyone would think I had attacked the good name of one of your relatives. I'm appalled by the poisonous remarks made by various people, just for having the cheek to describe my experiences with a faulty camera. What in heaven's name is this forum for? - If everyone is going to be so nasty, when they state theirexperiences- you should warn people not to post negative remarks on this site, or they can expect this kind of ugly behavior. Shame on you all.

[/align]
I don't know who ricehich is, by the way. I'm in Australia, Queensland, should anyone be that interested. I take it that ricehich made some remarks that some of you found unacceptable. Did he receive the same nastiness that I have? I guess he probably did.
Anyway, don't worry - no more posts from me about Pentax digital cameras. You can all pat each other on the back about how wonderful the K10D is. You've all done your job, it's worked - goodbye.

Can I suggest that you renamethis site the "Pentax DSLR self congratulary forum", then we all know where we stand.

Forum to discuss Pentax digital cameras? - Ugh!

irivlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2006, 10:21 AM   #16

irivlin wrote:
Quote:

[align=center]
I was lent a Pentax K10D by a friend. I have to say the build quality and operation are very good but - bottom line - the image quality was poor. There was a lack of resolution (I did comparisons with a Konica Minolta A2 and the K10D actually was slightly worse at low ASA settings. The biggest disappointment was the exposure. The camera overexposed by about a whole stop in bright light, using the matrix metering and underexposed by near 2 stops (yes - two) in dark conditions - using the inbuilt flash. The pictures could be corrected with Photshop, but that's not the point....

[/align]Bet you're all thinking that this was just a faulty camera eh? - No. This camera was sent back immediately to Pentax by the guy who bought it. He thought that there must be some obvious fault. Pentax returned it as "operating acceptably (to who?).

All in all this camera is an unacceptable "also ran". Better get the Canon 400 or the Sony Alpha instead.
had your initial thread ended with a legitimate question, perhaps a discussion could have ensued. conditions, images, etc. all would have helped that as well. instead, you told a bunch of pentax owners that the newest camera, which is generally being enjoyed by most forum members, isn't worth a second thought. not much food for thought there i believe.

milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2006, 10:27 AM   #17
TDN

milrodpxpx wrote:
Quote:
oo bad this site doesn't have a user search feature to find your previous posts; i'm sure they'd all be very enlightening.
Actually, it does.

Click on his name and select "View profile" Then you get a listing of all topïcs that he started or posts that he made. Goes for all users on here.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...30&posts=1

Seems 90% of his 26 posts over 4 years where complaints...I rest my case.

To reply to your comment about us being mean to anyone that critisizes a Pentax camera I already gave you an answer. We don't mind as long as it's constructive. If there's a complaint, it should be well underbuilt, prefferrably by including the actual pictures. Then we could see if your complaint is really the camera's fault or if we are able to help fix the issue, which would be better, no?

It's becoming a trend for people to complain, but without trying to find a solution...
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2006, 10:41 AM   #18

Hi Ian,

I am sorry that you feel that this camera is inferior. But as with ALL NEW Models of cameras there are going to be problems. If this camera was sent to pentax and they said it is in acceptable range then the next choice would be to try to exchange it for a different camera ( same Model).

From what you are saying (without pictures) is that the camera you are trying is front focusing. It very well could be the kit lens. Also did you try the Bright mode in the menu settings?

A picture posted would be a big help for us to see more of the problems you are talking about. The K10D is more of a Semi pro Camera than an entry level camera. Pentax default settings are set to let you get the final result you want thru your editing software.

Here is a link that might be of some help to you also: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=21365107

And before I forget Merry Christmas! I always forget these things...:GGood Luck and hope this experience has not dimmed your interest in the Pentax line of cameras.

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2006, 10:42 AM   #19

TDN wrote:
Quote:
milrodpxpx wrote:
Quote:
oo bad this site doesn't have a user search feature to find your previous posts; i'm sure they'd all be very enlightening.
Actually, it does.

Click on his name and select "View profile" Then you get a listing of all topïcs that he started or posts that he made. Goes for all users on here.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...30&posts=1

Seems 90% of his 26 posts over 4 years where complaints...I rest my case.

To reply to your comment about us being mean to anyone that critisizes a Pentax camera I already gave you an answer. We don't mind as long as it's constructive. If there's a complaint, it should be well underbuilt, prefferrably by including the actual pictures. Then we could see if your complaint is really the camera's fault or if we are able to help fix the issue, which would be better, no?

It's becoming a trend for people to complain, but without trying to find a solution...

You are right on.

Ian Rivlin's contribution to the Canon forum is copied below. I really do not mind if this forum can export him to the Canon's forum man. He was bashing EOS1Ds. Same approach huh

Daniel

================================================== ==============

Posted: Sat Feb 26th, 2005 05:07 am [img]images/spacer.gif[/img]

Check out the sample pictures (see below). I wasn't impressed at all with the EOS 1Ds Mk2. If you compare it to the Mk1, you'll see that the pictures are actually better on the older camera. Also, compare these pics with the Kodak offerings. - It's quite interesting.

Do use a photo manipulation program like ACDC/Photoshop etc and zoom in on the dumpster. The serial numbers are very, very clear with the Kodak digital back. (Shame it's not made any more).

If any of you out there are wondering whether I'm obsessed with resolution - you may be right. Ever since digital cameras came out, they haven't been quite able to match film cameras. They are nearly there now and - no doubt - will be substantially better than film in the none too distant future - but to be able to make these (fair) comparisons, resolution is one aspect of the cameras that can be objectively measured. The Canon 1Ds Mk2 should be better than its predecessor but appears not to be. This is not progress! People should be aware of a camera's abilities in absolute terms, not just because of a pre-eminent brand name.

Ian Rivlin

Australia

danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2006, 10:59 AM   #20

Many people in this forum have posted rave reviews of their new K10. Anyone coming in and posting a blanket condemnation is almost certainly trolling. It's probably better to ignore those types of posts rather than feeding the troll.
bill.guenthner is offline   Reply With Quote