Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 22, 2006, 12:58 PM   #21
Administrator

Folks mellow out a bit, it is Christmas after all right? You can agree to disagree just be nice about it. Treat others as you would have them treat you ... please.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2006, 6:59 PM   #22

irivlin wrote:
Quote:

Today I repeated some tests with the Pentax. I used both manual and auto focus and took pictures of distant scenes - again, the Pentax gave soft and pretty useless images. Then I looked a the lower parts of the picture - MUCH sharper. The camera is in fact focusing short. When set to infinity, it actually is focusing at about 50ft. Either the lens is faulty or the bayonet flange to film sensor is an incorrect distance - maybe a combination of the two? I'm confident the camera is a dud. Pentax simply couldn't have put the camera on a collimator - yet they declared the camera as "performing to specifications". I take your point re the fact that there's a learning curve. I won't assert the issue with the exposure until I've thoroughly acquainted myself with the manual and camera. But people out there should know that in my office (which is brightly lit) the real exposure is 1/30 sec at F 2.8 for 100ASA film (tested withtwoGossen meters, a Western Master "Euromaster", a Sekonic Studio and many other digital and film cameras -(and proven, by using Kodachrome slide film, which has only a 1/4 stop latitude).Yet, whatever I did with the settings, the Pentax wants to use 1/30 at F3.5at 800ASA - ie almost 3 stops over exposed.

As you noted, the problem could be either the lens or the body. Do you have access to another Pentax camera where this could be tested (maybe even a camera shop)? Trying aknown good lens on the K10 bodyat the same time would be an ideaas well. I don't know if the lens went back to Pentax with the camera, if it did not (and the problem is the lens) that might be why Pentax replied as they did. Just one possiblity to try to narrow down where the issue lies.

Good Luck,
Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2006, 9:42 PM   #23

That's a good idea. It's not my camera but I'll suggest it to the friend of mine who's having the problem. He's done some more tests and it is definitelyshort focusing. (But where it does focus on is quite sharp), so it's entirely possible that this problem will get fixed. It's under warranty (of course) and therefore it shouldn't be a big deal. It's just disappointing that Pentax didn't pick up on this before they sent the camera back. (But like I said, we're all human). The reason why I got so involved with this in the first place is that Italked my friend into buying the K10D. (He was about to get the Canon 400D) - I feel responsible and want to help him out.

For all the people who have offered helpful and polite suggestions - many thanks - it is really appreciated. For the others who replied with unfriendly remarks and suggestedthat I had some sinister agenda for my posts. I assure you that you were incorrect and rather hasty in your judgements.

That aside, I wish a happy Christmas to you all.

Ian
irivlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2006, 2:04 PM   #24

Mele Kalikimaka to you Ian.

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2006, 3:49 PM   #25

Mele Kalikimaka

Mele Kalikimaka is the thing to say,
On a bright Hawaiian Christmas Day,
That's the island greeting that we send to you
From the land where palm trees sway,
Here we know that Christmas will be green and bright,
The sun to shine by day and all the stars at night,
Mele Kalikimaka is Hawaii's way
To say "Merry Christmas to you."

Old Dec 31, 2006, 2:30 PM   #26

pbender,

Great reply to irivlin. I'm a future newbie dslr owner who is very close to purchasing the Pentax K10D after a month of looking at reviews at various sites, but reading this statement from irivlin makes a newbie think a bit as to whether I should wait a little longer or go ahead and take the chance. I did post a question on another site as to how happy K10D owners were with their cameras and I do have to say that about 38 out of about 40 or so were very happy and would purchase the camera again, saying that they did not have any major problems other than user inexperience. There were also a few professional photographers who were very pleased with the K10D, comparing the photo quality to the Nikon D200. With all said, I'm still going to purchase the K10D. There are just TOO MANY POSITIVES out here to not purchase this camera. After owning it and taking a bunch of photos, I'll post my opinion, but not until I learn how to use it properly. Jay D
Jay D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2006, 2:44 PM   #27

irivlin,

I'm a newbie who is very close to purchasing a K10D, and was a bit shaken when I read your statement about the camera, but I just wanted to let you know that during my search for dslr cameras and looking at many reviews, along with emailing some folks who do own the K10D, some did say that Pentax was very difficult to deal with and you must stay on their case if you have any problems. You shouldn't feel guilty about suggesting the K10D to your friend, but instead, you should give him the encouragement not to give up in getting his camera repaired by Pentax. It does seem that this camera is in the same league as the Nikon 200D and Canon EOS 30D, both of which also get very good reviews. Good luck to you and your friend and I hope his problems get resolved quickly. Happy New Year. Jay D :|
Jay D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2006, 7:11 PM   #28

He's sending it back to Pentax tomorrow - He said he'll get stuck into the case "big time" - we'll see. I've done some more testing wit the camera and it seems as if the viewfinder image doesn't agree with the sensor's position - ie when the image is focused manually, the captured image is slightly blurred. Much better results are obtained wit the auto focusing but infinity still can't be reliably acquired. (maybe once every 6 shots, will give a sharp infinity). If the camera is set to infinity manually, this gives a very, very unfocused image for objects at infinity.

Having sad all this, I went to a rock pool yesterda and took pics of people jumping into the water. The fact that the camera has such minimal delay, allowed me to capture (and freeze) the jumpers really well. This camera has the potential to be really good. I suspect that the fresnel screen is fractionally tilted or the bayonet isn't shimmed correctly. I'll keep this group posted of my experiences. In the meanwhile, here's a sample pic:-
Attached Images