Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

View Poll Results: Silver or Black
Silver 3 11.11%
Black 24 88.89%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 23, 2006, 3:58 AM   #11
TDN

The silver makes it more obvious that the camera is made out of plastic, so I prefer the black one
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2006, 4:33 AM   #12

Black seems te way for me to go. Ronny
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2006, 7:57 AM   #13

robar wrote:
Quote:
how do you like those lens cap retainers??
i've used them and ''to me'' they are way too much of a problen.. they are way too much trouble than they are worth. to me.... especially with a reversible hood

roy
Roy

I like the fact that they help keep track of my lens caps but... when I am shooting for any length of time they come off and go in the pocket. They were more convenient on my old prime lenses then theyare on zooms (especially the Pentax zooms that rotate the front element).

I now use them more out of habit than practicality. I also keep UV filters on my lenses, I guess that really dates me doesn't it?

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2006, 8:04 AM   #14

I am not voting on this but just one plug for silver. That black DS with the huge Sigma attached gets you instant respect at weddings etc. because of its professional look. That is why most people prefer black but...A silver DL with a 31mm Limited lens (also in silver of course) becomes invisible, the camera equivalent to what the car guys call a "sleeper".A candid photographer's dream at an event like this where you now blend into a sea of p&s cams and old film SLRsbut you havea DSLR and one of the sharpest lenses anywhere.

Just a little food for thought, it may not get you all looking for silver DLs but it may make it an attractive choice as a second camera body for those times you wish to blend in.

Ira
Old Dec 23, 2006, 9:16 AM   #15

I am one of those who voted black. I don't know if it has any importance to digital, but for a film body silver actually is better, since it doesn't get as hot in sunshine. That's why many long tele lenses are white.

According to my camera repairman the problem with oil on the aperture blades is usually caused by leaving the camera in the sun, so that the little grease there is goes like steam inside the lens and then attaches to the aperture blades when it is condensed again. So silver would be the more intellegent choice.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2006, 9:39 AM   #16
TDN

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
I am not voting on this but just one plug for silver. That black DS with the huge Sigma attached gets you instant respect at weddings etc. because of its professional look. That is why most people prefer black but...A silver DL with a 31mm Limited lens (also in silver of course) becomes invisible, the camera equivalent to what the car guys call a "sleeper".A candid photographer's dream at an event like this where you now blend into a sea of p&s cams and old film SLRsbut you havea DSLR and one of the sharpest lenses anywhere.

Just a little food for thought, it may not get you all looking for silver DLs but it may make it an attractive choice as a second camera body for those times you wish to blend in.

Ira
That is very true!

I even notice it when I'm using the big Tamron 28-200 XR, a big black lens with a little golden ring, I get countless reactions right away like: "Wow, are you a professional photographer?"

When I use the A 50mm 1.7 though, I get none. The second I switch back to the Tamron, "Hey, do you do that professionally?"

That's one of the reasons I love using the 50mm for street photography. The other is that it's sharp as a knife.

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2006, 10:24 PM   #17

TDN wrote:
Quote:
That is very true!

I even notice it when I'm using the big Tamron 28-200 XR, a big black lens with a little golden ring, I get countless reactions right away like: "Wow, are you a professional photographer?"

When I use the A 50mm 1.7 though, I get none. The second I switch back to the Tamron, "Hey, do you do that professionally?"

That's one of the reasons I love using the 50mm for street photography. The other is that it's sharp as a knife.

TDN
Heh, I have noticed something similar, but it is based on my dress, not the camera. I have a vest that looks like a photography vest. I actually have owned it much longer than the camera and its purpose is more related to my job than my hobby. However, if I am wearing that vest and carrying the camera I am always asked which newspaper I work for.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2006, 10:38 PM   #18

I voted black, like everyone else.

My only question is: What did you take this photo with? You must have a lot of cameras...
mutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2006, 10:48 PM   #19

Black.

Never cared for the silver dSLRs. I couldn't believe it when Canon lead with the silver rebel and then seemed to charge more for the black version when it finally came around.:roll:
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2006, 10:59 PM   #20

mutty wrote:
Quote:
I voted black, like everyone else.

My only question is: What did you take this photo with? You must have a lot of cameras...
The picture was taken with my Fuji S7000 (my pre-DSLR camera). I also have a small Pentax Optio 33L for snapshots at parties etc.

Ira
http://www.aicphotography.blogspot.com/