Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 23, 2006, 12:09 PM   #1

Hoya and Pentax are merging but according to the article I read it is more of a question of Pentax being taken over by Hoya. The firm will be known as Hoya Pentax as of Oct. 07.

I'm no expert so I wonder what the implications will be for this new organization? Will it mean Pentax will be able to develop higher end D-SLR cameras and lens that will be more competitive with the two giants, Nikon and Canon?

Hoya supplies lens blanks to many other manufacturer's and I wonder if this expertise will lead to better, more and more varied optics from Hoya Pentax.

Pentax does fine, esp. with the new K10D, but I hope there will be an infusion of money in R & D.

I thought that Samsung would eventually absorb Pentax, so this is a surprise to me.

lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 23, 2006, 2:10 PM   #2

from what i've read it seems Hoya is not interested in pentax's camera digital imaging area. what they are mostly interested in is pentax's medical area. guess it could go either way.

roy
Old Dec 23, 2006, 2:32 PM   #3

Wow, that is a bombshell. I hope they don't drop the camera division all together. I had hoped that the Samsung/Pentax patnership would eventually lead to Pentax challenging the big boys. But if they just got bought out by Hoya, That might not happen.I don't know all the details, but it doesn't sound good for us pentaxians.
Spiritbro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2006, 2:38 PM   #4

I guess this is as good time as any for my first post. I'm a long time lurker, but registered for quite a while.

This topic is ironic. I say that as a person who used to work for the Bell system, prior to 1984 and the breakup of the telecom. Later I worked for AT&T. AT&T was bought out by SBC, but still called AT&T. Now the "new"AT&T is trying to buy out BellSouth.I used to work for Home Depot, and there are rumors someone wants to buy them out. I still have my first Sony Betamax and quite a few prerecorded tapes.

I have several Pentax K1000's and lenses. (I suffer from LBA! :lol

Now, when I haven't even purchased a Pentax Digital SLR (still in the research mode, besides, can't afford it right now) there's going to be a Pentax and Hoya merger. Sheesh. (All the preceding intended in good humor, but isn't it ironic?)

Hi, roy! I'm the one who bought the Tokina doubler from you on eBay. Still haven't really tried it out yet. Back to lurking now!:bye:

JaniceO. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2006, 4:13 PM   #5

janice, i was wondering when you were going to show up. the tokina is the 2nd best 2x i've had.. i'd love to get a pentax 2xS or the 1.4x or 1.7x. quit your lurking and get in here and post some of your experiences!!!!

also welcome to the board.....

hey, i still have my original betamax as well..
Bell vs ATT, sheesh, who can tell?????????? quagmire???

roy
Old Dec 23, 2006, 5:21 PM   #6

Thanks, roy! My "experiences" have only been with old Kodak Instamatics years ago, disposable cameras, and Pentax K1000, of which I now have 5 due to LBA., not to mention about 30 something various lenses due to the same additction.

I'm learning a lot here, though, for when I ultimately get my Pentax digital slr. I have 3 books about photography I've purchased but not read yet. In addition to the LBA, I also suffer from extreme "procrastination.":-) (also attention deficit disorder-really!).

It's nice to be here. Ya'll are great!
JaniceO. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2006, 5:48 PM   #7

JaniceO. wrote:
Quote:
In addition to the LBA, I also suffer from extreme "procrastination.":-)
JaniceO

My Wife says i have the same Disorder as you!!
Welcome to the forum!!

Bk/Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2006, 5:54 PM   #8

Here are a couple of possible scenarios:

1. There seemd to be a statement that the new organisation will concentrate on high end camera's. Ths could mean more focus on quality DLSR's from Pentax such as the K10 and medium format systems.

2. Sell off the camera divison (to Samsung?) where one of the "appliance manufacturers " would like to have a well established camera brand.

philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2006, 5:59 PM   #9

Janice - with all those lenses, you really should get a Pentax. There's always a nice, inexpensive used DS or DL to get your feet wet before jumping into something like the K10 (glad I started with a simpler dSLR before getting the K10).

Pentax has a strong following and perhaps the most loyal of users. It wouldn't surprise me to see Samsung buy the photo division if Hoya decides to spin it off. However, I think they'd keep it for at least a while - it gives them an internal "customer" for their lens blanks. It doesn't seem like the lens mount/brand name will disappear any time soon.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2006, 6:48 PM   #10

I'm not sure if I would go with Pentax. I've been trying to decide for the past few months whether to get a Nikon D80, Canon 30D or Pentax K10D.

I've got 3 Pentax SLR 35 mm, loads of 35mm Pentax lens and have been a Pentax fan since '68. Pentax have been my main cameras for almost 40 years. Reliable, top quality lens..I've really been a dedicated fan.

But frankly with the digital revolution, Konica- Minolta being bought out by Sony and now Pentax being bought out by Hoya...I'm wondering if it is wise to keep with Pentax.

I have a feeling that Pentaxes maybe orphans in anywhere from 1-3 years and as I want to make the switch over to a top line Digital SLR, I'm statring to think that maybe Canon or Pentax might be the only solid DSLRs available.

By this I mean future availability of lenses and accessories will be available for Nikon and Canon , but I'm not sure about my old favourite Pentax.

Sad, but as I am close to retirement, I don't want to have to start over if I get Pentax DSLR and then a few years later find they are not making D SLR anymore.

I figure I've got 25-30 years of picture taking left and as I'm a long time enthusiast, I'm starting to lean towards Canon or Nikon.

I think there chances are best for staying in what seems to be an increasingly competitive D-SLR market.

Reading some of these posts also makes me wonder where Hoya will go with the Pentax brand?

Maybe they will find the DSLR wars too cut throat and demanding that new D-SLRs seem to pop out from different companies at the rate of a couple a year.

2006 saw the Pentax K100, K110, K10D. Nikon saw the D80, D40 and wasn't the D50 out new about a year and a bit ago?

I wonder if Hoya will find that Nikon and Canon are too entrenched and pull out of the ultra competative D SLR market and concentrate on a niche, like as the other suggested, medical equipment, etc.

Anyone with counter opinions? I may be all wet, here.

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Janice - with all those lenses, you really should get a Pentax. There's always a nice, inexpensive used DS or DL to get your feet wet before jumping into something like the K10 (glad I started with a simpler dSLR before getting the K10).

Pentax has a strong following and perhaps the most loyal of users. It wouldn't surprise me to see Samsung buy the photo division if Hoya decides to spin it off. However, I think they'd keep it for at least a while - it gives them an internal "customer" for their lens blanks. It doesn't seem like the lens mount/brand name will disappear any time soon.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote