Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 23, 2006, 9:45 PM   #11

Hi Mark,
First off, welcome to the Pentax forum! To answer your question, I guess I am with Roy, I can barely keep up with this forum, let alone several others. In fact, one of the reasons I bought a Pentax was that I felt the Pentax forum here at Steve's was a stellar group that I could learn from.

My major interest in photography right now is macro. I have posted in the close-up forum but my pictures posted here generate more constructive criticism and my attempts at constructive posts in the close-up forum did not generate discussion.

But I appreciate your input and I will try to venture out into the other forums here at Steve's more often. I will say that as I was planning to take Christmas portraits of my family I lurked the portrait forums for awhile. There are some jam-up portrait photogs there that I can only wish to emulate.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2006, 12:27 AM   #12

Mark - you are right, of course, we all probably should get more involved with the photo eval/critique side of the board, in addition to this one (I do lurk on the critiques board occasionally).

Again, just my opinion, but it seems to me that photography is made up of two parts - the technical side and the artistic side. An artistic picture can be outstanding even though there's minor technical problems. But a picture that is techically correct without being artistic istoo oftenboring (can't tell you how many pictures I've taken like that!). A really great picture is where the artistic and the technical are both outstanding. Since I'm not very good with compostion, I feel totally inadequate when it comes to offering any suggestions (usually put my foot in my mouth).

The technical side of photography is similar, no matter what camera you use. It's just the particulars, how the camera goes about those technical things that is different. A fast prime is a fast prime and has certain characteristics, no matter who's name is on the front or on the camera. And we can learn from those who use other camera systems - even if they wouldn't understand our joy at "scoring" a 25 or 30 year old lens made by a company that is no longer making lenses in their own name.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2006, 4:46 AM   #13

I strongly believe the good thing about posting in showcase like foras is the responses you get, with those tips and hints you can build to use them in your future work, I know I have learned a lot.
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2006, 6:20 AM   #14

i think the "post pic" forum discussion are great for learning and development. its great to hear other opinions on work and views and make suggestions on how work can be improve

I have absolutely no formal photography skills and i do it souly as a hobby. i have learnt almost everything i know about photography from these forums, but more specifically the "critiques and post pics forums".

I just found it so easy to learn when you can post what you have done and ppl can comment on actual work you have done. Go back and try again and it works wonders.

I too would love to see more work flowing through the post pics forums as i often visit and try to give feedback where i think i can add any value.

Cheers
Ken
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2006, 7:33 AM   #15

hmm, this is a very interesting discussion and I'm glad it was brought up.

I am waiting for my Pentax to come home to mama, and I was planning on posting pics here as we got to know each other (me and the pentax, that is).

The photo section is intimidating to those of us who are starting out. I don't mean the mtngals of the board (who are very good even if they don't think so) - I mean the michellebuerres of the board (who everyone will agree is a complete Noob). Because.... hmm, how to state sensitively....I have noticed that in the photo sections, if there is are some particularly bad shots from a newbie to both the board and the art, there are virtually NO responses. I am not sure if its a 'that pic is so bad, I don't even know how to begin to address the problems', issue or just one of politeness 'if you don't have anything good to say....'. Therefore; i am too skeered to post my own photos in there and say 'what do i need to work on FIRST in my shots' and then get no responses as if I'm not even worth talking to.

Admittedly, I would hope I would be able to tell with my own eye whether one of my shots is THAT bad. For reference, heres a simple P&S shot that i think is 'good enough not to be ridiculed' but 'bad enough to be able to get some constructive criticism'

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l3...01-04-2006.jpg

Besides all that, I also intended posting here in the Pentax subforum so that i can learn about the technical intricacies of my own camera. If i post a pic, I would like someone to say 'try upping this, or adjust this' pertaining to certain features of that particular camera.

But really its a combination of the two. I would never post a pic here just to get all kudos, I really want to learn how to make improvements (preprocessed, that is) and how to train my own eye to catch the composition and exposure errors that the pros catch and then I would like to know technically how to do that with my own camera. Maybe a special trick or two.

And if i get no responses, I'll probably have to sell the camera and go back to knitting.

:G
MichelleBuerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2006, 8:03 AM   #16

MichelleBuerre wrote:
Quote:
And if i get no responses, I'll probably have to sell the camera and go back to knitting.

:G
This final statement ends a very well written argument, if your photos are a match for you writing style, we will be asking you for advice.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2006, 8:33 AM   #17

mark,
this has been fun. thanks for bringing it up. i'm a happy camper here..

michelle, where are you from? love the name. the image you posted is reaaly nice but i have a ??. are the walls of the buildings on the rt and left suppose to be white??

roy

oh, edit: mark, i was doing a tongue in cheek when i said it was the cam that took the shot..

roy
Old Dec 24, 2006, 8:47 AM   #18
Super Moderator

Michelle, I guess that intimidation that some people feel is something that might be addressed by the moderators here and maybe a section for Noob Critique/Technique might be added then you will be posting along with others who are in a similar boat but then you will probably be able to get input from a wider range of people who are knowledgeable rather then those just checking out your particular cameras section (I'm not saying there there are not some good photographers here as them posting in almost hidden sections with such skill was part of my reason for starting this off). Also looking at the shot you posted it is of a standard where you have no reason at all to feel intimidated to post anywhere!!!!

Also most techniques as the same for all cameras with only a few intricacies and most ofpeople posting in and around Steve's Forums will be able to advise no matter what you are shooting.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2006, 9:00 AM   #19
Super Moderator

robar wrote:
Quote:
oh, edit: mark, i was doing a tongue in cheek when i said it was the cam that took the shot..

roy
LOL I know you were (although I don't think my post suggested it) but I'm always trying to think how new people would look at something posted here so thought it was worth pointing out...... was late in the evening here so don't think at came across in the right way.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2006, 9:25 AM   #20

LOL
that's how i took it.. the cam does take the shot but it needs a little hint occasionally.

roy