Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 24, 2006, 8:37 AM   #21

robar wrote:
Quote:
mark,
this has been fun. thanks for bringing it up. i'm a happy camper here..

michelle, where are you from? love the name. the image you posted is reaaly nice but i have a ??. are the walls of the buildings on the rt and left suppose to be white??

roy

oh, edit: mark, i was doing a tongue in cheek when i said it was the cam that took the shot..

roy
Roy - I'm from Canada, living in Germany. No, the walls of the buildings on the left and right are actually a muted yellowy-salmon colour. The sun was coming from behind my right shoulder, which is why the one is darker than the other. Unfortunately, that picture shows the problems I was having with lighting. I could never quite fix it with that particular camera - even on sunny days at 2 pm, the pictures always looked like it was dusk. Before i got a chance to post about it here to ask for advice, the light sensor on that camera died completely, although I still may post about it dying anyways to see if theres anyway to save that camera.

Maybe a Noob critique forum would be ok. My fear in that though is that the pros won't go in there at all - esp if the creation of that forum means an open door to the worst of the worst, and it will just be noobs critiquing each other. Then i would have to go through THEIR photos to see if they are worth listening to.

But you are right. Now that I think about it, everything is fine the way it is and in reality what I would probably do is seek out someone via pm's for advice on my first shots and then start posting in the photo forum once I know I'm not a complete loser. In any event, I wouldn't be posting just quick snaps of pictures I didn't put any effort too, and I also won't be posting any pictures before I read my manual, and the exposure/composition books i have coming my way. (currently stuck in German customs as we speak). So maybe I don't have to worry.

And if all else fails, I'll try to solicit critiques and advice with my charm before going back to knitting. aranoid:

MichelleBuerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2006, 8:45 AM   #22

michelle,
we await your future posts. there's a lot of talent here and everyone likes to help.

roy
Old Dec 24, 2006, 8:53 AM   #23

actually michelle,
this is a nice shot. i like it.
Attached Images

Old Dec 24, 2006, 9:46 AM   #24

Hey, great thread!

I just wanted to reiterate what people like Mark and Frank are talking about - that the general photo forums are a great place to learn. I find you are more likely to get feedback, though, if you invite it. Including a statement like "comments and criticisms welcome" will generally get you some good comments. There are some very friendly and helpful people on this forum with a wealth of experience. I remember my first posts and getting negative feedback on them - it stung a little bit, but usually on this site it was done in a constructive way (e.g. the shot could be improved by doing this...) - so, I took the advice to heart and thus improved (I hope :-)).

I have to admit, I'm still intimidated to post in the wildlife forum - there are stellar wildlife photogs. But, without fail whenever I've invited comments I always get them back. If you don't invite the comments people may be afraid of offending you and assume you don't want constructive feedback.

So, I'm on board with some of these others - whether a photo is taken with a panasonic, sony, canon, pentax, nikon or whatever the principles of photography are all the same.

Anyway, just wanted to chime in - saw this thread and found it very interesting!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2006, 11:27 AM   #25

Michelle - a Canadian in Germany, huh? That takes me back to 1980 when a certain Canadian soldier said "hi" to a certain American soldier while both were visiting Kaiserslautern, then later bought that American a camera that she had never even heard of, much less thought about. I've often wondered whether that Canadian serviceman regrets that purchase - he's ended up buying6 morecamerasover the years (4 of them made by Pentaxand 3 of those in the past year). And photography, whether you are any good at it or not, is still more fun than knitting (though not as warming, as I sit covered up with an afgan I knitted several years ago and thinking of snowshoeing in another months).

As far as your picture goes - the camera let you down. I'll be interested in seeing what you make of the Pentax camera when you get it!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2006, 11:48 AM   #26

harriet,
what a cool story... thanks for enlightening my day...

roy
Old Dec 24, 2006, 12:21 PM   #27

Mark
Thank you for starting a thread which may not have had the desired result (although I did post in the critique forum as did at least a couple of others), but it has certainly made for some interesting discussion here. One other point to note in this forum, with very few exceptions this is a non-judgemental group, we accept that Pentax is not the top name in dSLRs but it has a unique set of features which we appreciate.

We often have to deal with technosnobs in other forums who snub Pentax or Olympus or KM owners because we do not have "real" cameras. This is a very small, but typically very vocal, group who are probably very insecure about their photographic skill so they concentrate on the cameras they buy (money not skill). The vast majority of C&N owners are like yourself, genuine enthusiasts who are more interested in the art than the technology. You guys probably do not notice the technosnobs because they leave you alone (like the schoolyard bully does not pick on the school athletes). I think I am now at a point where these antics no longer bother me so I will venture out, but it is sometimes difficult to ignore them.

Michelle the fact that you plan to read the manual puts you way ahead of most of us. Your single picture post shows an eye for composition, now it just comes down to learning to use the tools effectively, something I intend to work on in 2007.

Mark, look forward to hearing more from you in this and other fora.

Ira

http://www.aicphotography.blogspot.com/
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2006, 12:29 PM   #28
Super Moderator

Thanks Ira and looking at your shots there is nothing that anyone should be 'bullying' you about..... well possibly trying to beat out of you how you got such cool results. I am an ex KM5Downer and my Dad now owns this. I still useit a little and there are some things I like over my Canon but for my style shooting (sports) then the Canon 30D was a better tool. As for the C&N snobs you are right, give atop notchphotographer any dSLR with an OK lens and they will blow away the results a lot of us are able to get. I have seen these types of poster come and go as very rarely do they stick around when the realise Steve's is about the art of photography rather than infighting over brands.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2006, 1:06 PM   #29

gawd mark,
i just thought you to be a trouble maker.. lol

roy
Old Dec 24, 2006, 1:07 PM   #30
Super Moderator

Oops my sectret is out!!!
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote