Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 23, 2006, 10:26 PM   #1

Many of you have already seen the recent Popular Photography article on the K10D. Toward the end, it states:

"Also, be sure to check out the February 2007 issue of Popular Photography & Imaging for a 10-megapixel DSLR shootout between the Pentax K10D, Samsung GX-10, Sony Alpha A-100, Canon EOS Rebel XTi, and the Nikon D80, on newsstands Tuesday, Jan. 9."

On DP Review, a new post shared this information regarding this upcoming article and shootout:

"As I am sure many here know that on the 9th there is a big write-up/camera shootout of all of the big players in the market in digital photo review (forgive me if I have name not exactly correct).A surprise to some and perhaps not at all to others..... The K10D comes out on top......This was came from a retail store that had pre release copy. They sell all of the majors so they had no real bias by the way."

It seems, if this is true, that according to a pre-release copy of the Feb issue, the K10D wins the shootout. Don't know how true this is, but found it interesting nonetheless.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!

Mark
nznhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 24, 2006, 2:02 AM   #2
TDN

nah...the K10D sucks! It has extreme noise at 500% crops and the d80 is at least 100 times sharper! the reviews said so!
And the worst thing is, when you set it to auto, it doesnt even take professional quality photos without you having to work!! how lame is that!!

TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2006, 5:59 PM   #3

I hope this source is correct!!!! It would be a big boost for us K10D owners who love their camera! We will see very soon...no doubt early Jan for us subscribers.
whbroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2006, 8:36 PM   #4

I have no doubt that it's true; it would be hard to imagine one of the others beating it.

The ranking should probably be K10D, GX-10, D80, A100, XTi.

There's still plenty of reason to buy Nikon or Canon when you take into account their lens collections, if you can afford them. But the K10D looks like the best body in the sub $1000 price range right now.
kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2006, 3:28 AM   #5

kenbalbari wrote:
Quote:
There's still plenty of reason to buy Nikon or Canon when you take into account their lens collections, if you can afford them. But the K10D looks like the best body in the sub $1000 price range right now.
I think that is the main reason to stick with the Pentax brand. Buying the body is the simple bit. Feeding the LBA is the hard bit. Far better spending £10-£50 on a variety of lenses, than investing several hundred on one lens. Couple of guys I know have the Cannon 300D/350D and 2 lenses after a year of ownership. No flashgun.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2006, 4:47 AM   #6

kenbalbari wrote:
Quote:
IThere's still plenty of reason to buy Nikon or Canon when you take into account their lens collections, if you can afford them.
I have spent quite a lot on lenses, but I do it in a planned way and I know what I want. I miss a fast wide lens, it'll be the FA* 24 mm f2 or the Limited 31 mm f1.8 when I stumble over one at the right price. So far I've got:

K 28 mm Shift 3.5

FA 50 mm 1.4

A* 85 mm 1.4

M 100 mm 4 Macro

A* 200 mm 2.8

A* 600 mm 5.6

DA 16-45 mm 4

F 35-135 3.5-4.5

F 70-210 4-5.6

Rear Converter A 2XS

Extension tubes

With this I think I can cover about any situation, be it concert, nature, architecture, action, landscape... And I can grow with the equipment for the rest of my life.

What can a Canon shooter get that isn't there for the Pentaxian? And what would it cost for the Canonian to get what I have gathered at a very reasonable price, considering the quality of the glass? I know that for me it would have been far beyond reach, but sticking with Pentax it's not a dream, it's already in my bag.:blah:

Kjell
bilybianca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2006, 11:24 AM   #7

nznhut wrote:
Quote:
It seems, if this is true, that according to a pre-release copy of the Feb issue, the K10D wins the shootout. Don't know how true this is, but found it interesting nonetheless.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!

Mark
[/color]
Mark,

Let us stick with seasons greeting only.
Some adv dept manager of Canon or Nikon may know about this and threaten to obtain the details. If you do not withdraw this subjective opinion you can forget the ads (they are to pay for ) for March......

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2006, 2:08 PM   #8

I'm not too worried that my little post is going to create much of a stir - besides, the mag is probably already printed. I don't know, as I mentioned, how true the info is, and all of us should take it with a grain of salt regardless - just a teaser which should be interesting to see how it all pans out.
nznhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 7:03 PM   #9

Which lens would you use for shooting a flying bird at 100+ feet? I asked this next question elsewhere also, do you feel that the Pentax K10D has a fast enough focus for this type of photography, or am I considering the wrong camera? Thanks, Jay D :?:
Jay D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2007, 8:58 AM   #10

According to DPreview site and their Pentax DSLR forum..the Popular Photograhy shoot out was won by the Nikon D80 with the Pentax K10D coming in third. Not good news for Pentax owners.
whbroker is offline   Reply With Quote