Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 26, 2006, 9:46 AM   #11

Here is another great item: Complete Pentax Dental Macro Setup. I'd love to have this one, but the price is just ridiculous. :shock:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pentax-Dental-35...ayphotohosting
HogRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2006, 11:08 AM   #12

Thought Cameta's price for the Phoenix was interesting - B&H has it for $139 new for the AF version and $110 for the manual focus version of the lens. People are really going nuts buying old lenses and driving up the prices. I couldn't believe when a FA*300 went for over $2,000- I'm now a bit sorry I didn't bid higher on the one several months ago (bid to $1,000, it sold for just under $1100).

I think that the prices will stabilize some now that Christmas is over, and perhaps used prices on certain lenses will drop as Pentax and others start putting out top quality lenses in 2007 (hope, hope).

The Phoenix FA worth $140 (I have one), but if you are going to be using it just as a macro,don'tbother with the AF version. It's light-weight, OK for aperture and quite sharp. I've been very pleased with the quality of macro pictures I've taken with it. The disadvantages are - it's light weight is due to the light plastic the lens is made out of. The AF mechanicsm doesn't have a clutch, so you can't fine-tune the focus manually, and the lens hunts more than any of the other AF lenses I have. When I took a series of comparison shots of a distant, high contrast subject, it showed more CA (purple fringing) than any other lens I have. That really surprised me since I've never noticed this when taking flowers (my primary macro subject).

Its a good lens for the price, I really like mine, but it does have limitations.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2006, 12:07 PM   #13

HogRider wrote:
Quote:
Here is another great item: Complete Pentax Dental Macro Setup. I'd love to have this one, but the price is just ridiculous. :shock:
I don't meen to hijack the thread, but...

I've seen this a few times lately when looking for macro lenses. What is "Dental Macro"? Why would a dentist need a special 35mm camera setup?
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2006, 12:47 PM   #14

Basement Shows wrote:
Quote:
I've seen this a few times lately when looking for macro lenses. What is "Dental Macro"? Why would a dentist need a special 35mm camera setup?
Good question. Dental macros are basically normal Macro lenses. Some of them are adapted to dental work by having different or additional markings on the barrel. The Lester A. Dine Macro lens is a good example for that. There were also complete Dental setups sold. Mostly in a special wooden case or sometimes a wall mount. A real popular setup was the Pentax K 1000 with 105mm Lens and a Ring/Point Flash.

Of course those sets always cost twice as much as regular setups, because they are made for dentists, and are sold through Dental supply companies instead of camera stores. Today they even come with special software.

http://www.dinecorp.com/

(no Pentax offering at this time)

HogRider is offline   Reply With Quote