Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 26, 2006, 12:05 AM   #1

Hey guys,

have always been fascinated with macro photography and was kind of let down by the mediocre extreme closeup performance of the kit lens.

I need a real macro lens. trouble is, I don't know where to start looking.

I don't need any auto features on the lens as I am comfortable enough with aperture/shutter and manual focus is theonlyw ay to go for this type of situation.... (macro pics of inanimate objects)

Budget is around 150... Used is not a problem as long as it's in good condition. I'd prefer k-mount to m42.

Anyway,

I remember seeing a thread about a Vivitar Series 1 105mm Macro being superb, while the other vivitar macro lenses stink on ice.

I cannot afford the recent Pentax-FA macro lenses.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for good lenses?

Also, regarding 50 or 100 mm macro, what is the realistic difference in subject-camera distance?

mongrelchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2006, 1:12 AM   #2

I've got the Pentax M 100 mm f4 Macro. I got it for nothing when I bought a used camera body, and didn't relize what it was till I started using it with the ist*DS. I think it's marvellous. You see them on ebay every now and then.

Kjell

This hazel flower was taken with extension tubes, natural size1.5 mm (the red parts):

Attached Images

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2006, 1:16 AM   #3

And this without ext tubes:
Attached Images

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2006, 3:23 AM   #4

I have Vivitar series 1 105mm macro, it's exactly the same as Kiron 105mm or Lester A Dine 105mm. fantastic lens. but they go for much more than 150$ on ebay. I paid for mine almost 300, but it's mint conditon with leather case. I saw Kiron go for 250 a week earlier.
appereantly vivitar series 1 90mm macro with adaptor is another great lens.

as for focus distance:

I had 50mm lens and it focuses as close as 2 inches from front element, 105mm can do 1:1 at approximetly 5 inches. my advice is to get 100 or 105mm, it really is better for photographing critters, you don't have to get that close to them.
one more thing: forget about using onboard flash with any of them, you will get shadow over half of the photo because of the lens lenght.

greg
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2006, 6:41 AM   #5
TDN

payed 60$ (50€) for my kiron 105mm

The exterior is in very used condition, but the optics...well, see for yourself...

TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2006, 6:58 AM   #6

as many times as this comes up i never tire of it. i've got the vivitar 105 also. superb lens. 140usd.. got mine before lenses skyrocketed. there are MANY fine macros on ebay. look at ebay and ask about the listing here. you will get a lot of help.. i had the same lens kjell posted and it's superb but only goes to 1:2 ratio. i used it for over 20 years and it never let me down.

roy
Old Dec 26, 2006, 7:16 AM   #7

cheap lens , cheap build quality, but superb images, must use add on diopter lens to get 1:1
HERE

very nice but i can't remember if it goes to 1"1
HERE

same lens as #1, asking WAY too much
HERE

VERY! nice lens!! made by kiron. no A setting but it's easy to hit the AE-L button. very nice lens!
HERE

another good one but i think it only does 1:2.
HERE

superb lens, the same as the panagor above.
HERE

let me canada,
roy
Old Dec 26, 2006, 8:48 AM   #8

Hi Roy,

It is funny that #3 on your list is now going for $159.95 and last year the same lens was under $100.00.

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2006, 9:12 AM   #9

i would not pay that for it even tho it's new..

roy
Old Dec 26, 2006, 9:39 AM   #10

Since we'relinking to Ebaylenses:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NIKON-PENTAX-DIN...em130062548494

They used to be available from 100 to 150 bucks, but now the secret is out and it seems that's about what they cost today.

HogRider is offline   Reply With Quote