Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 27, 2006, 8:56 PM   #11

I bought the Pentax K100D plus the Sigma 70-300mm 'APO' lens for the extra quality and also the 18-125mm, so I have a all round kit.
All up cost just under $Au1400 at Teds.

You can see K100D photos at -
www.flickr.com/search/?s...l&q=K100D&m=text

I love my K100D, I am sure you will to.

Rodney
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 7:07 AM   #12

Corpsy wrote:
Quote:
Michelle, looks like we're in a similar boat, except for the shipping thing obviously. I'm pretty anxious about the new camera, but not terribly worried. Maybe we can share a post when we take our first pictures. :-)
:lol: I don't think i will be embarassing myself like that right off the bat. (meaning MY pics will be far worse than yours, not the other way around!)

I accidentally on purpose saw the price today at Beach Cameras when i was trying to figure out what accessories i want (i.e. battery charger? memory card?). It went down 3$. :?
MichelleBuerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 9:14 AM   #13

Congrats to both Corpsy and Micahelleon getting the K100 - I hope you'll have as much fun with it as I'm having with mine. It'll be fun to see pictures of both New York and Germany (and Corpsy will put all my pictures to shame - he sure did when I had the FZ30!).

As far as the 1.4 vs. 1.7 debate - those 2 threads are my two lenses, but others seem to have found the same thing. I've heard, but can't verify, that they changed the optics on the 1.4 when they did either the A or the F lens, but I don't know that (read something like that on the dpreview Pentax forum). If you are looking at the manual versions, then definitely get the 1.7 since it is sharper wide open.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 12:34 PM   #14

MichelleBuerre wrote:
Quote:
:lol: I don't think i will be embarassing myself like that right off the bat. (meaning MY pics will be far worse than yours, not the other way around!)

I accidentally on purpose saw the price today at Beach Cameras when i was trying to figure out what accessories i want (i.e. battery charger? memory card?). It went down 3$. :?
Good idea, you're probably right... :blah:

Come on! You're in Germany! Just walk to the nearest castle, turn on auto exposure bracketing, take a 3 shot burst and upload the one that looks best. It'll probably be better than anything I can find in Buffalo in winter without even any snow. I'll do the best that I can with dead trees, mud and gloom, though.

I noticed the price drop too, but it was more like $2.11. If it shows up today or tomorrow I really won't care. If it doesn't though, and I get to watch the prices drop all weekend while I sit here without a camera, I'll probably be monitor shopping next week.

I did a decent amount of research on rechargeable batteries as I've heard different brands perform differently. One thing to be aware of is that most NiMH batteries over 2000 mah lose their charge relatively quickly when they aren't being used. Typically, if you fully charge the batteries and then store them, they'll be pretty much dead in a month. That means you have to charge them again or just leave them in the charger all the time, both of which will shorten the life of the battery and cost you a bit more on your electric bill.

This led me to the Sanyo Eneloops. They are 2000 mah, which is a decent enough charge, but they hold 90% of their charge over the course of a year. They're even pre-charged when you buy them. I also heard from a few people that their K100ds got really good life on Sanyo batteries, so I picked these up. I suggest you do a bit of your own research though and not take my word for it as I have yet to even try these. I got them pretty cheap at http://www.hhgregg.com/

I don't know if that store will be an option for you considering your shipping complications...

Mtngal! I called you Mtngrl at the beginning of the post, sorry about that.

I appreciate the compliments, but just because the FZ30 turned out to be a better suited camera for me than it was for you, it doesn't mean I'll be able to produce images as stunning as these with the K100d: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80

Seriously, if I had taken those, at least 3 of them would be blown up huge and hanging on my wall, and I'd probably be trying to sell prints as well. I was very interested in the K100d for it's price, anti-shake and cheap lenses before I saw these pics, but seeing them is what convinced me the camera could pull off professional quality stuff in the right hands.

Thanks for the tip on the 50mm lenses. I've put a watch on a lot of auctions, but these things are really in demand. A 50mm 1.4 screw mount is about to sell in 4 hours and is already at about $112 with shipping.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 2:17 PM   #15

Thanks for the battery tips. I have been doing research allll day (way too long to research batteries) and ended up confused. I'm trying to buy a printer tomorrow and after all the research on the camera, (plus some very extensive research today on pre-folded snapped cloth diapers, which probably no one here is interested in :lol, I'm craving a break. That camera better get here soon.

(that said, my photography books, which have been stuck in German customs for the last 2 weeks, should be in my hands tomorrow. Apparently, they were confused by the 'BOOKS' and need a german translation. :roll: So I have to make the trip into the city and say 'THESE ARE BOOKS'. :roll

Back to the batteries - i saw the Eneloops today - but the recharger only came with 2 slots. From what i read, either go for the eneloops, or non-rechargeables. Theres a thread on Pentax forums about it - if you read it you can see why I was confused. I still have time though.

My sympathies about Buffalo.

:lol:

I'll do my best. Although the castles are nice, i find the skies here always to be grey and overcast. My husbands family has a chalet in the Swiss alps, and it seems there is NEVER a clear day there. In two months time, we are moving to the French border, so I'm sure that as soon as I cross into France, the skies will be blue. Right?

Besides, you always have Niagara Falls. :G
MichelleBuerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 5:14 PM   #16

There is definitely a 4 slot charger available, but you probably don't need it to charge the batteries. You might be better off with a Maha universal charger or something else that travels well.

Yeah, the falls aren't too far but I've never found them very fun to photograph. You always end up with photos that look just like hundreds of other photos you've already seen. Maybe if the river freezes it'll be a bit more interesting.

Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 6:56 PM   #17

Glad you all pulled the trigger on a very fine cam.

Wish I could do the same... I'm still stuck in research mode trying to figure out if I should get the K10 or K100. :?

The K100 fit perfectly in my hands... seems like it would be a great first dSLR. Obviously it takes gorgeous pics and has wonderfully low noise levels.

But the K10 keeps nagging at me. I could use the larger buffer with my active kids, the better viewfinder would be nice, the weather sealing would come in handy when we go to the beach (where we go can get really windy with sand kicking up everywhere), the extra MP's would be good mainly for cropping.

Downsides? The K10 is heavier (by 5 oz), has higher noise levels (but would be better than my P&S) and of course, the darn thing costs almost TWICE as much as the K100. Not sure if it's TWICE the camera to justify the cost. :?And on top of that, I can't find a K10 in my entire state. I strongly hesitate to order a $1k cam sight unseen. I just need to know how it feels in my hands.

So happy shooting guys :|I'm going to mull it over a for a little while longer... but I do plan on ordering SOMETHING before the rebate deal ends. :idea:

TN Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 6:56 PM   #18

edited to delete!

accidentallywent thru twice!

TN Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 7:16 PM   #19

I can certainly understand you not buying the K10 sight-unseen. I was concerned about the extra weight also - everyone is going to react differently to its weight. Just my opinion, but the K10 is well designed for its weight, and I don't mind. It was much easier to hold and handle than I had expected, but it's the limit as far as weight goes for me.
Old Dec 28, 2006, 7:19 PM   #20

Corpsy - I bet you can see me blushing all the way to New York. And I just wish I could always take pictures that good all the time!