Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 28, 2006, 7:27 PM   #21

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I can certainly understand you not buying the K10 sight-unseen. I was concerned about the extra weight also - everyone is going to react differently to its weight. Just my opinion, but the K10 is well designed for its weight, and I don't mind. It was much easier to hold and handle than I had expected, but it's the limit as far as weight goes for me.
Thanks mtngal... I read a whole long thread on dpreview solely discussing K10 weight. Seems like just about everyone was fine with it, except for maybe a couple of people.

I read that going from a DS to a K10 is a pretty big jump... but the K100 to K10 isn't that bad. (The K100 felt fine to me.)

Anyway.... just thought I'd ask... if you were starting from scratch today, which would *you* get??

TN Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 8:17 PM   #22

If I were starting from scratch right now? I'm really not sure - I like both the K100 and the K10. I could see someone coming from a p&s background, without film SLR experience getting confused by all the options and adjustments on the K10, and perhaps getting frustrated if they change something accidentally and don't get the results they want. There's a pretty big learning curve with it, more than the K100D.

Someone coming from a film SLR background would feel much more at home with it, on the other hand. Basic quality isn't hugely better than the K100 (one of the threads of mine on the 1.4 vs. 1.7 lenses has some comparison photos where the resized full frame pictures are so similar you really can't tell which one was taken by the K10). However, I'm getting more and more to prefer the K10 - the white balance is better, it's great to the ability to change things on the camera rather than in menus and I love the hyper program mode. There are still features that I haven't quite figured out yet, or don't really apply to what I'm doing.

The K100 can do much of what the K10 can, but the options are in menus. I had more of a tendency to leave the camera set to center focus/center metering because that's what I was used to from my ME days. I think for many people, getting the K100 now and getting used to it for a year, then upgrading to the K10 when the prices drop, might be a sensible solution. By then they'll know the basics of the K100 so the transition to the K10 will be easier.

It really does depend on the person and how much time and effort they want to put into learning how to use the camera. Is the K10 worth twice what the K100 sells for? For some people the answer will be a resounding yes!, for others perhaps not. I'm really happy with mine.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 8:31 PM   #23

Thanks Mtngal...

Makes a lot of sense.

For me, I've got a little film SLR experience... but mainly digital P&S.

I currently have a Fuji F30, which I love. I had a Casio Z850 and sold it for the Fuji. I had plans on getting a Panny FX07 (to complent my F30) for my outdoor, landscape type shots. But then realized I could get even betterpics with a dSLR. I've been pleased with what I've been able to pull out of my small P&S cams... but want to take it to the next level.

And yes, I'm willing to learn. I've been reading a lot of dSLR books and just soaking up what I can from boards here and there.

Photography is a great hobby to have (at least for myself). It gives me a great outlet for creativity... and at the same time, I'm documenting the growth of my 3 children.

Anyway, thanks again for your advice... and Corpsy... sorry to hijack your thread! :-)

BTW,my DH says to get the K10 now and be done with it.Hethinks if I get the K100 I'll want to upgrade within a year. He's all about getting my second camera FIRST. He might be right. :O

Old Dec 28, 2006, 9:24 PM   #24

TN Mary,

I purchased the K100 back in early August just as the announcements that the K10 was coming. I debated for a brief time if I wanted to wait for the K10 as I figured at least the 10 MP as compared to the 6MP might be worth the wait. But, as I had my parent's 50th anniversary party coming up and didn't want to lug two cameras (my SLR and p&s) to CA, I opted to buy the K100 then.

I am not mega experienced with the SLR, but was wanting the luxury of being able to see right then and there what my settings were giving me. I have not regreted it one bit. I saw the K10 next to a K100 in a camera shop recently and am really comfortable with the size and weight of the K100. I haven't held the K10, but that was one thing I had noticed when I was shopping for the K100 was the extra weight on the Canon and Nikon ones I looked at. I'm not sure which models at this point.

My theory on this is, I get the K100 now and really get to know it and get better at my photography. Then, a few years down the line, when something newer than the K10 even is out, I'll upgrade. Plus, saving the extra expense on the K10 has had my husband allowing me to buy extra lenses and he even bought me a flash unit for Chirstmas. (Anxiously awaiting it's arrival. It shipped today.)

I'm sure whichever you go with you will be happy. But, wanted reiterate what others that have the K100 have said, that the K100 is still a great camera and I don't think you'll go wrong if you pick that one for now.

Good luck and happyphoto shooting whichever you choose.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 11:11 PM   #25

Another point in favor of the K100 - if your budget is limited getting the K100 would allow you to buy more/better lenses. I have one top of the line lens, an A*300 and it makes a difference - I've taken lovely pictures with it and the K100 (some of the pictures in the topic that Corpsy linked to earlier were taken with that combination). So it might not be a bad idea to buy better lenses now. A mediocre lens will take mediocre pictures no matter what camera its on. Besides, lenses last for a very long time - I'm using lenses thatI originally bought in 1980.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 11:34 PM   #26

There really isn't a budget set per se. Although, if I can save money, I will.

I do know that I'll get some decent lenses regardless of body.

I was thinking about the 50 mm f1.7 primeyou talked about... plus maybe the Sigma 17-70... DA 50-200... and eventually, I'd love to get a fisheye lense.

Not sure if I'll get just the body or with the 18-55 lense.

Anyway... thanks again for the tip. Everyone has been very helpful!

Old Dec 29, 2006, 2:16 AM   #27

Mary, I pretty much know what I'd do in your situation. Unless I really needed the extra megapixel or the faster continuous shooting of the K10, I'd just go for the K100d. Then, if you change your mind, buy the K10 when it comes down in price to about $550. You'll then have two cameras and barely spent any more than if you bought just the K10 in the first place.

Plus, if your K100d is still in good shape, you'll probably be able to sell it for a good amount as it will likely be one of the best low light performers with built in SR for some time to come. It's very similar to the Maxxumm 5D, and on Ebay, used 5Ds go for nearly as much as they used to cost new. If Pentax does well with it's new SLR cameras and improves it's line of lenses, the K100d might actually go up in value significantly.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2006, 6:06 AM   #28

Corpsy wrote:
Quote:
Yeah, the falls aren't too far but I've never found them very fun to photograph. You always end up with photos that look just like hundreds of other photos you've already seen. Maybe if the river freezes it'll be a bit more interesting.
Thats what I was thinking - any cool ice pics you can get (if you have a telephoto lens, even better). One thing I always think is cool about the Falls, is not the falls itself, but on the Canadian side, the entire atmosphere just seems trapped in time (i.e. the strip). I think if i lived in that area, I might also be going to the canal to see if I could get any cool shots of the locks system - but i'm a hydraulic engineer, so that sort of thing is my bag. :lol:

Mary: good luck in choosing! For me I didn't consider the K10, because of the extra cost and seeing as how I'm nearly a beginner. I have a non-digital SLR and I would hate to see the extra cost of the K10 go down the toilet because of unused features. (of course, once i get better, i will eventually use them, but my then, as everyone says, the cost will have gone down significantly). Corpsy makes an excellent point about waiting and then having 2 cameras for the price of one.

Hurry soon though, because I think the rebate for Pentax is over Jan 9th.
MichelleBuerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2006, 8:44 AM   #29

Michelle, Corspy, Mtngal, NHMom...

You all make some very good points! Didn't think about some of those angles.

I think this is why I'm so confused... I see valid points to both sides and reasons why I'd be happy with 'either' camera. Wish I could get BOTH! :?

From other forums... many people are thrilled with their K10's, whether starting from scratch, or upgrading, or even using the K10 as their backup to whatever else they've got. I even read about some guy selling off thousands of dollars in Canon gear and switched to Pentax solely because of the K10. I'm just glad Pentax is doing something right.

And yes, Corpsy, you're right about the K100 being the only dSLR on the market right now with the prized combination of LOW NOISE and SR. I don't think the noise on the K10 is terrible - especially coming from the P&S world - but the K100 clearly has 'better' noise levels. And let's not even talk about the A100.

I think what would help make this decision MUCH easier is if I could just hold a darn K10 in my hands. It would take all of 2 seconds to say - yeah it's a brick - or the weight isn't that bad - I'll take it. If they were both the same cost... I'd still be mulling back and forth between the 2 just b/c I can't see a K10 in person! :?

Jan 9th? I better get my back end in gear and make a final decision! :-)

Thanks again everyone!

Mary

Old Dec 29, 2006, 10:54 AM   #30

Ok... I'm gonna run down to our local camera store.

They've got a K100 and a Canon 30D.

The 30D has just about the same specs as the K10 (dimensions and weight).

Gonna make a final decision then.

Thanks again guys!

BTW,do you have to have the rebate mailed off by Jan 9? Or do you just have to show proof ofpurchase by Jan 9? I tried calling Pentax and they are closed till 1/2/07.

Thanks