Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 27, 2006, 1:22 PM   #1

Well, I just ordered a K100d with kit lens about an hour ago from Buydig.com. I've been watching prices like a hawk hoping to see a big after Christmas sale or something, and have gotten tired of waiting. $556 - $50 rebate is a pretty good deal. If it drops significantly in the next couple weeks I might smash my head into the monitor, so I'll have to try not to check.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who helped out with my decision, even Mtngrl who should be receiving a free tote bag and a set of filters from Pentax for her brand enthusiasm :G. Her stunning photos with the kit lens helped as well.

There were a lot of reasons to choose this camera over the others (particularly I was looking at the XT), but ultimately it was a gut decision based on having played with the camera for a short while and really enjoying it. My instincts are typically smarter than my common sense anyway, whatever that means.

It's a good time to buy a new camera as well, as I won't need to shop for long telephoto lenses until spring. In the meantime, I'll try my luck at picking up a used 50mm 1.4 or 1.7 and maybe a 135mm 2.8. That reminds me, someone posted a thread a while ago comparing a 50mm 1.4 to a 1.7 and the 1.7 looked a lot sharper. I can't seem find that thread, can someone link it for me?

Thanks again!
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2006, 1:46 PM   #2

Congratulations! You're going to love it. I see you're in NY. You might very well have your camera tomorrow (Friday at the latest).
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2006, 1:50 PM   #3

I just bought mine last night as well. So I'm jumping in and saying 'me too' cause otherwise i'd be starting another thread with the exact same post as yours. :lol:

Both buydig and Beach cameras had the 556$ deal, and b&H had it for 589$. Plus Beach had free shipping and B&H was 11$ or so. But buydig and beach wouldn't take my canadian paypal or credit card. So I had to buy from B&H for a total extra of 50$ more. There goes my rebate. Oh well, I'll forget alllll about the extra 50$ when that baby comes home to mama.

I chose it for 'the gut feeling' too plus mtngals enthusiasm, as well as others. Plus, I held it and others in the store and it just felt so natural.

I have FORBIDDEN myself to check prices as of today. And hopefully people will put warnings in the thread titles if indicating any 'good deals' on it for the next 3 months.

I have to also say, I am very very very nervous. I know nothing about the U.S. mail system or even the UPS option I chose - except for bad stories I've heard about boxes being dropped off on people porches and then stolen - which is unheard of in Germany. So this camera is going from NY to North Carolina, and then here to me in Germany via military (APO) mail. I can't WAIT for it to come home and into my hands. :G
MichelleBuerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2006, 1:51 PM   #4

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80

Congrats on buying your cam. You'll love it. I just got mine a couple weeks ago, and I'm loving it. And still learning it. :|
Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2006, 5:11 PM   #5

You will love your K100D. It's a lot of camera for the price and makes great pictures. I picked up a manual 55mm f/1.8 at a used camera store for $30. If you go faster than that the DOF is so narrow it's hard to get a lot of use out of it. (IMHO)
bill.guenthner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2006, 5:28 PM   #6

Gadgetnut, I really doubt I'll get it tomorrow with free shipping, but past experience has show that what should be 7-10 business days typically takes 3-4 here. One of the very few perks of living in Western New York. I wonder if people in Ohio just go and pick it up a few minutes after ordering...

Michelle, looks like we're in a similar boat, except for the shipping thing obviously. I'm pretty anxious about the new camera, but not terribly worried. Maybe we can share a post when we take our first pictures. :-)

Flaco, thanks! I read through those again and I think I'll go for the 50mm 1.7. I can probably get it a lot cheaper, and since I mean to use it wide open it looks like it should perform better, assuming I get a similar model.

Bill, thanks for the tip. I'm wondering, when you use a manual lens, does the focus confirmation work the same as the Canon 5D, where if you're holdiing the button halfway when you focus the AF points will light up and beep when they see something in focus?
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2006, 5:34 PM   #7

Just received mine from Buydig.com for Christmas and my wife paid $589.00 on her order dated 12/17/06. I mailed my rebate form in yesterday. Also go on line and get the Firmware update. The camera won't come with it, at least mine didn't. Mine shipped with version 1.0 and the update will take you to 1.02.

Enjoy

PS: I now have a DL and a K100D, great cameras.
rritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2006, 5:43 PM   #8

Corpsy wrote:
Quote:

Bill, thanks for the tip. I'm wondering, when you use a manual lens, does the focus confirmation work the same as the Canon 5D, where if you're holdiing the button halfway when you focus the AF points will light up and beep when they see something in focus?
Yes, it does.
bill.guenthner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2006, 7:02 PM   #9

Corpsy wrote:
Quote:
Flaco, thanks! I read through those again and I think I'll go for the 50mm 1.7. I can probably get it a lot cheaper, and since I mean to use it wide open it looks like it should perform better, assuming I get a similar model.

No problem Corpsy. I also have a M50mm 1.7, but I have the vivitar model.I also have a Hanimex M28mm 2.8. I think I only paid 40 or 50 bucks for the 2. The only thing if you get a manual version, you'll need a M42 adapter. You can find those on ebay too. I'll send you the seller I got mine from. There's certain version you want to look for. As close as possible to the Pentax model. I also have a M135mm 2.8 on it's way, only paid 25 bucks for that one.

Autofocus is great, but you'll save some cash getting the older pentx manual M42 lenses. And yes, the focus confirmation will still work once you have the subject you're aiming for in site.

Now I'm debating if I want to go for the Pentax 50-200mm, tamron 28-200(LD or XR model), or tamron 28-300... It's hard to decide once you do a search and check out the pictures taken with all the lenses. It seems like the reviews the tamron'sdon't focus that well out far. But then if you go on flickr.com or pbase.com and search for which ever lens, real world owners of these tamron/sigma lens take really great pics with them at all ranges. :?

But the reviews of the the pentax plus pics of real world owners always have winning shots with this lens.
Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2006, 7:21 PM   #10

Corpsy wrote:
Quote:
Gadgetnut, I really doubt I'll get it tomorrow with free shipping, but past experience has show that what should be 7-10 business days typically takes 3-4 here. One of the very few perks of living in Western New York. I wonder if people in Ohio just go and pick it up a few minutes after ordering...
I wouldn't be a bit surprisedif you had it by Friday at the latest. I always choose free shipping with beachdig and buydig, my order always ships the same day via FedEx and if it goes to my office I have it the next day and if I have it shipped to my house it's here in 2 days, the first time they delivered on a Saturday. I was impressed!!

I've had the K100 for a couple of months ago (I paid $587, no rebate:sad and it's a great camera for the price, I'm sure you'll love it!!

JeanneB is offline   Reply With Quote