Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 29, 2006, 8:12 PM   #21

thanks i knew you could flip them around because of the manual but had no idea what they were for. when i tried them out i could see no difference but i was inside so that is probably why. took a buck outside in the sunny snow and had no problems if it's sunny tomorrow I'll try with them on.

can't wait to start my course so i can ask more productive questions. i feel like when i got my first professionally trained show horse. and could not make him move :?after years of owning horses.
julianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2006, 8:23 PM   #22

LOL! How well I know THAT feeling! Horses and photography are both much harder than they look...
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2006, 9:50 AM   #23

julianne wrote:
Quote:
hihihii going to need a battery charger. i seem to be eating up batteries with my experiments.
This charger seems to get very good reviews and I have been happy with it:

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/m...ry-charger.htm

Thomas Distributing is also a good place to pick up the rechargable batteries.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2006, 9:37 AM   #24

thank for the info. i will check them out for sure right now i am using panasonic recharchable ones my hubby bouth on the fly. ( we live in the boonies so a trip to town is very rare and some stuff is just impossible to find here) they last pretty good.

what is the benefit of shooting raw. everybody seem to like it better for post processing. i don't really see the difference although i did not play too much with it being the holiday seasons. and maybe just the fact that i don't know the software too good probably does not help. i did play with raw in picassa too ( that one i know and the only one of my other program to accept raw) but honestly found it to be the same as playing with JPEG. what am i missing ???

Old Dec 31, 2006, 11:00 AM   #25

Well, not everyone is shooting RAW, myself, I use jpeg almost all of the time. The difference between RAW and jpeg is that RAW contains unprocessed data (think of it like a film negative) where you can make adjustments to how you want to "develop" the photograph prior to actually "developing it." With jpeg, the camera takes the raw data, makes the adjustments, and develops it all at once. Then, if you want to make changes, you are working with the finished print, rather than the negative, and you can't do quite as good of a job. Also, remember that jpeg is what is called a "lossey" compression format, in that data is lost each time it compresses. So, if you take a jpeg, make a minor change, and save it you will have less actual data then when you started. If you do this several times the data loss can become significant enough to affect your picture. The major advantage to RAW is that you have much more control over the photo "development" and the major disadvantage is that you have to dedicate more time at the computer before you have a "finished product." Also, most people end up needing different software for the developing step (such as Pentax Photo Lab) as opposed to the software they use for photo editing.

One other thing, while I love Picasa and it is a great photo organizer, it is definately not a photo editor. It has very few options for photo editing. I use either PhotoShope Elements or Paint Shop Pro in combination with Picasa, viewing the pictures in Picasa to decide which one I want to edit and then opening that picture in the other program for actual editing.

I hope this is of some help and made sense.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2006, 1:53 PM   #26

that was great !!!! first time i actually understood what it meant thanks a lot !!!!!

i have paint shop pro. i actually never use Picasa it's just that i took a few in RAW just to see what the difference was and Picasa and Pentax photo lab where the only ones i could do something with the raw images.

i am actually starting to get nice photos now after a week. last night was the best though. we had a party here ans me not being musically inclined i played with the camera and manual. and since my subject where not moving i got to really experiment. i think i learned more in one night that my whole life in photography. i only have about 5 that turned out great ( to me anyways). but i did learn a lot about what everything does.

and this morning i took a lot of good ones. that turned out to be exactly the way i had planned them :G