Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 28, 2006, 10:57 AM   #1

I think I've got a problem with one of my lenses - the DA 50-200. I admit that it has occasionally gotten knocked against things on occasion (accidents happen, don't they?) and it seems like one side doesn't focus right. I noticed this a couple of times this past weekend - once with the K100 and most recently yesterday with the K10. Not sure you can really see what I'm talkingabout with this resized picture (should I post the full sized picture somewhere and link to it?). Does anyone have a suggestion on how I could verify that there is a problem with the lens, and not just something I'm doing wrong? I admit this example was taken through a car window while traveling at something like 60 mph, but the airport is probably a mile away from the road we were on, and the mountain beyond even further away than that, the scene should all be equallyin focus. In the original the left side of the picture is definitely sharper than the right side. Does anyone know if whatever is wrong could be repaired?
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2006, 11:19 AM   #2

Hmmm......I really can't tell from that pic, but it kinda looks like the right side might be a tad out of focus. If it were mine, I would mount the camera on a steady tripod and focus on some sort of gridwork with clearly defined lines. That would be an easier way to tell. Good luck.
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 1:04 PM   #3

i honestly can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not...which made your post amusing! but, if you were serious, my take would be that at that distance, given that the rest of the photo appears to have dust or clouds in the background or a storm of some sort, that it looks more atmospheric than anything wrong with the lens itself.
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 1:30 PM   #4

I see what you are talking about. The right side of the pic does appear a bit off. However I'm not sure if this is attributable to the lens. You mentioned that this shot was taken through your car window while drive at 60mph. Those conditions alone must have an effect on the image quality.

The only way that I could think of to determine if it is indeed the lens is to take a picture of text. Have a page of text placed perpendicular to your camera on a wall. Mount your camera on a tripod and zoom out to the max focal length. Position your camera so that it is at a distance that would make the page of text fill up the frame adequately. Take that pic and review it. If you notice that the text on the right side of the pic is still "off" then yes there is something wrong with the lens.

This might be a silly question, but are there any smudges on the lens front element?
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 6:38 PM   #5

Royce - asking about smudged lenses isn't a dumb question - I must have smudged it in Vegas, when I noticed the problem first (picture taken in a crowd,OOF partcould have been DOF field problem). When I saw the same thing on this one, I thought there might be a problem on the lens. I took a bunch of pictures of my porch railing and they looked fine. After reading your suggestion, I looked - yep, there was some marks on the front lens.

P.S. - thought the shot was quite dramatic, those clouds brought high winds and snow to our area. Luckily we got home before they closed the interstate last night.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote