Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 28, 2006, 7:33 PM   #1

Trying my hand at birds, and I cheated - these aren't wild birds. I still had a tough time getting anything useable (lighting was dark and I either had too small a DOF ortwo slow a shutter speed). The African Crested Crane (at least that's what I think the sign said) was so funny - there were workers cleaning the "island" where he lived, and he kept following them around, putting his head into whatever they were doing.
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2006, 7:36 PM   #2

Thought this might be a Hooded Merganser.
Attached Images

Old Dec 28, 2006, 7:38 PM   #3

Not sure about this duck - I thought it might be a wood duck, but its a little difficult to tell here.
Attached Images

Old Dec 28, 2006, 7:42 PM   #4

The signature bird for the gardens I was wandering in. There are quite a few of them and they share their island with the crane. While the crane was very inquisitive, the flamingos could have cared less. And do birds ever quit preening? I found it just about impossible to get a picture of one with their head up.
Attached Images

Old Dec 28, 2006, 7:49 PM   #5

Finally, from today. These are wild birds, at the moment I think they live next door in the "vacant" lot. I had a lovely time taking pictures of shadows on freshly fallen snow as well as trying to capture our little sparrows and other small birds. I was happy to catch these, though the focus is slightly off.
Attached Images

Old Dec 28, 2006, 7:50 PM   #6

I like all of these. Good exposures.

The depth of field on the duck really highlights the complex pattern of feathers on his head.

My favorite is the "Hooded Merganser" because you can see the entire bird. Even the feet show in the water. Very hard shot to get in the open without a fast super-tele.

Good job!

Will
irishinmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 7:50 PM   #7

A scond one - couldn't decide which to post, so I'm throwing another one. It was a beautiful, quiet, white day today.
Attached Images

Old Dec 28, 2006, 8:18 PM   #8

They all VERY good to me Harriet ! Nice job! Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 8:29 PM   #9

Hi Harriet,

Hope you had a good holiday, and best wishes for a happy new year (but who needs luck with two new Pentax K's? :-))

I really like all the pics -- especially the Merganser with his tail pressed onto the water's surface and the quails -- had to be tough getting close to those! It's totally wierd seeing pics from CA with snow on the ground (yeah, you are in the mountains, but really!), and here in the cold blustery midwest, we had high 40's, rain most of the past two weeks and no snow on the ground anymore. Daniel is getting birds eating out of his hand and is taking shots of GBHs in Toronto -- where's this going?????

I think you're right about the wood duck, seems to match a juvenile male, but since I've never seen one live, can't swear by it. From the looks of these, you're doing the A*300 proud. I assume the others were with the DA 50-200. . . some great examples from both lenses.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 8:48 PM   #10

Scott - no snow anywhere? Oh well, just wait until the storm that passed through here last night gets there - really high winds (they clocked gusts up to 60mph at a weather station about 10 miles away).

The Merganser and the crane were both taken with the DA 50-200 - I'm not completely happy with the focus on the Merganser (or was there a smudge on the lens?). Love that A*300 andthe extra mp with the K10 - I wasn't that close to the quail.They arealmost a 100% crop. It's been a fun Holiday break so far, even if I'm not quite happy with my most recent pictures, I've had a good time taking them.