Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 28, 2006, 9:03 PM   #1

One of the gifts I recieved for Christmas was a digital picture frame, which is a 4x6 inch screen that lets you view jpg files as a slideshow. It takes an SD card among others. I tried my standard Kingston card in it and it seems slow. I wondered if I were to buy one of the Kingston Elite pro cards that is supposed to be 50 times faster if this would speed up the time between pictures. I think it loads from the card each time.

Has anyone had any experience with these picture viewers? The one I have is made by Mustek. I have it set to 3 seconds and it takes more like 10 or 15. One thought I had is if I used downsized pictures more like we post on the web it would load faster. I tried it on full size images right out of the camera- Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2006, 9:33 PM   #2

Hi Bruce,

I also got one of these as a gift the other day. Mine is a Digital Spectrum NuVue 700 Plus. I couldn't resize my photos on the computer the other so just put my card straight from my camera into it and it seemed to work fine. I have the K100 and these were full size photos. My card is a high speed ATP card. Not sure if it was my model or the faster card that made the difference.

I thought I had read in the manual somewhere about the recommended size of photos to put into it, but can't find it right now. Seems like they were web sized photos, though.

Anyway, this probably isn't much help, but for what it's worth......
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2006, 5:32 AM   #3

Bper, could you buy the faster card to test it and then return the card???

It would seem that having to "right-size" images just for the viewer is asking too much from the client. Not everyone has the time AND the know-how or the equipment.

nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2006, 6:27 AM   #4

The thing is if he wants to load the images onto the viewer rather than always leaving his card in the viewer, he will get more on if he resizes them. I'm not sure if his has memory or not, but mine has 256MB.

I have a few programs that will batch process resizing photos. They are free downloads off the internet. If anyone is interested let me know and I'll get the information.

Now to get some images loaded to mine
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2006, 7:13 AM   #5

You could try taking some 1 star 2mp pictures and see if that speeds things up.
Sounds like the built-in card reader is too slow to read the fullsize images.
nadnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2006, 7:14 AM   #6

I agree. Most of these frames have at least some internal memory. I bought one for my father who lives in Florida, and it had 8MB or 16MB internally, and I got one from my in-laws that has 64MB. The internal memory will probably load faster than from the removable card. I'd try to use the internal memory, before spending money on the faster media card.
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2006, 10:30 AM   #7

I don't think this one has any internal memory, it just plays from the cards that you insert. IF the card is removed, it will not play. It does say it supports upto 12mb image files in jpeg format. I'm not sure what that means. It also says made in China.

I found a website for them, but they do not show any digital photo frame viewers, so I think I will email them and see what I can find out, before I start buying faster cards. It works fine, just slow when viewing as a slide show. It seems like it takes a long time for each picture to load, 20-25 seconds between pictures and I have it set to 3 seconds. Thanks for all the input- Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2006, 12:47 PM   #8

Maybe a nearby store with the same model frame will let you try your card in a display model?
Rufus T Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote