Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 30, 2006, 1:22 AM   #1

All of these shot with my *istDL and Sigma 100-300mm f/4.5-6.7 handheld at ISO800 - ISO3200. Let me know what you think! I take criticism very well, so tell me what you think.

All of these shots need to be run through NeatImage, but I am on my brother's computer in a hotel room, so choices are limited at this moment, just wanted to share!

_____

-Nick
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2006, 2:28 AM   #2

I think these shots came out well considering the high ISO. Was it a cloudy day or was this later in the evening? Indoor/Outdoor? Seemed overcast judging from the gray color tones. I think if it was sunnier, there would have been more light and you would have had even better focussed shots. I think that once you run them through Neat Image later, it will clean them up nicely. I do think that alot of the shots were timed very well. Great poses with the football players in mid action.
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2006, 5:37 AM   #3

2nd that. I have found that if the pic is correctly exposed, then the noise levels are almost non existant, and noise ninja can strip out some detail.

But great action shots, esp for handheld.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2006, 6:43 AM   #4

Thanks for the comments, and yes, you are right... it was outdoor and very overcast and the game started at 330 CST so it got dark shortly after kickoff, but the little bit of sunlight I did get was quickly gone. The lights at the stadium were'nt the greatest, they lit the field, but not enough to speed up the shutter to where it should've been to be hand holding these shots. A nice fast lens would've been great, but I have to use what I have for now, and I am pretty happy with the outcome due to the circumstances.

_____

-Nick
Old Dec 30, 2006, 7:24 AM   #5
TDN

sharpness, composition and timing is excellent. only I'd give them a little level bump to make them a little more "vibrant". They seem a tiny bit underexposed on me screen.

Great results for 300mm handheld!
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2006, 8:14 AM   #6

Thanks TDN, I agree... These could all use some post-processing, but I have very limited options on my brother's laptop. Thanks for the kind remarks and I, too, was impressed with how sharp some of these came out at 300mm f/6.7. Another thing that impressed me was how usable my ISO3200 shots are, hopefully after some noise removal, they will make some very nice 5x7 and possibly 8x10's.

_____

-Nick

Old Dec 30, 2006, 6:30 PM   #7

Really nice photos - and you are right, a faster lens would be nice, but a long tele at something like 2.8 is HUGE! Considering what you were dealing with, these are quite good!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2006, 8:49 PM   #8

Question about shooting at games: do they allow it? I mean showing up with a F2.8 tele wouldn't get you kicked out?

Not sure how it works, but I was reading somewhere that these days they are quite aggressive about it.
DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2006, 9:52 PM   #9

LOL, funny you should mention it... I had to walk through the gates with a body cap on the camera (only bringing in one lens) because a guy forwarned me that they wouldn't allow me through the gates with that long of a lens and the 100-300 isn't all that long. So my dad went through with the lens and I went through with the body.

_____

-Nick