Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 31, 2006, 4:41 AM   #1

I've been wanting to try my hand at street photography since I have noticed that the sigma 70-300 apo dg does a pretty snappy job at portraits. It was a beautiful saturday afternoon so Sandy and I packed up Megan and the stroller and headed down to Laguna Beach. We walked down the boardwalk and people watched. I tried to just blend and not be too conspicuous, however carrying a dslr with such a long telephoto lens definitely drew many eyes of other people in the crowd. The telephoto helped to keep a good working distance between the subject and myself thus preserving the spontaneity/ natural feeling of the shots. However, I must admit that I was a bit timid in my photography. I felt very self conscious and a bit uncomfortable photographing strangers, especially with such a noticable telephoto lens. After awhile I put the sigma 70-300 away and put on a smc-f 50mm f1.7 instead. However with a much shorter focal length that too presented challenges as well. Ah well. Perhaps, I should just stick to wildlife...

Gentleman paying the parking meter.

The boardwalk was packed. There were alot of tourists here for the holidays.

Homeless person waiting for his next chess opponent.

While waiting at a crosswalk, I spotted this motorcyclist coming down the street. Too bad I chopped off his wheels. VROOOOOM!

A little something for all you guys out there enduring the snow and cold weather. Bikini volleyball anyone?

Don't worry ladies, I didn't forget about you either.

At this point, I switched over to the smc-f 50mm f1.7. It was much less conspicuous than my sigma 70-300. Here's Megan and Sandy enjoying the view of the ocean.

On the way back, we grabbed some ice cream.

royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2006, 5:12 AM   #2

Hey Royce, you got insomnia too? Street photography is not something I have an interest in doing but it looks like you have some nice shots there. The three men playing basketball is a very good capture. The volleyball game is also appealing, but that may have more to do with the subject :-).

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2006, 5:24 AM   #3

All very sharp shots, interesting slice of life, that ice-cream looks good.

Rodney
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2006, 6:42 AM   #4

bikini volleyball hmm..:homey:

greg
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2006, 8:42 AM   #5

gfurm wrote:
Quote:
bikini volleyball hmm..:homey:

greg
at the end of december??

roy
Old Dec 31, 2006, 10:22 AM   #6

I know what you mean about taking street photos in SoCal - I always feel strange taking pictures of strangers and don't want to take the time to talk to the subject and do model releases, etc. It's not like I'm a pro or anything, and still can't quite sort out when you can or can't take pictures. I love looking at other's street photos (but never think much of my own).

For just my opinions on a couple of your pictures - I like your guy paying for parking, though would never have figured it out if you hadn't told me what he was doing. Your chess player suffers from having too big a DOF - Ikeep lookingat the background couple. Love the idea of the pic, but think it suffers from having too much else going on. I really like your two action shots - thought they are both really good but for different reasons (I like the DOF with the girls and the frozen action of the guys, super sharp). Chopping your wife's head in half really bothers me - if you could have taken time to take this shot, I might have tried to crop it closer, maybe just the hand and the cone, or else gotten her whole head in - she's pretty, why not? Anyway, take this for what it is - just one person's opinion and others might see it differently.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2006, 12:49 PM   #7

Totally agree with you about street photography. I have seen so many in magazines, but as soon as the camera is pointed anywahere near people, they give such a suspicious look that it puts me off. Mind you while photographing flowers at a local park I had a young thug come up and start sounding off about taking shots of his daughter (I hadn't even noticed her!!) so I am understandably nervous about street photos. So different to when I was younger and you could photograph what you wanted.

As for bikini volleyball...showers afterwards would be welcome!!

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2006, 1:58 PM   #8

One time I was taking macro shots of lady bugs in the bushes in my parents front yard. A pair of girls were walking down the side walk and I happen to be on the other side of the bush. My neighbor across the street was washing his car at the time and saw me. Apparently I looked suspicious, creeping about the bushes with my camera pointed in their general direction. He accussed me of spying on these girls. I didn't even realize that what I was doing could be seen like that. I was utterly mortified!

Dal1970 wrote:
Quote:
Totally agree with you about street photography. I have seen so many in magazines, but as soon as the camera is pointed anywahere near people, they give such a suspicious look that it puts me off. Mind you while photographing flowers at a local park I had a young thug come up and start sounding off about taking shots of his daughter (I hadn't even noticed her!!) so I am understandably nervous about street photos. So different to when I was younger and you could photograph what you wanted.

As for bikini volleyball...showers afterwards would be welcome!!

Darren
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2006, 3:09 PM   #9

That is basicly the same setup I had. It was only when I home and ranted about it to my g/f that I clamed down enough to realise what he had seen.

Still annoyed me though. The dragonfly pic I was going for came out blurred!!

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote