Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 31, 2006, 7:34 AM   #1

Question for the macro masters: I've got a heap of slides, some of great value to me. I'm thinking of buying a bellows for macro work. Does the slide copier work with the DSLR sensor, or will it only copy the centre part of the image? Can the quality compete with a reasonably good slide scanner? (Pretty expensive, if you want the bellows anyway.)

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2006, 8:37 AM   #2

kjell,
never tried the copier but have seen great results from it. you use a macro lens or a bellows , i guess. i have use my scanner to do copies and all i can say is that its a real slow process. i also know there are places around that will do this for you at a reasonable price. you get them back on cd or dvd disk.roy
Old Dec 31, 2006, 10:16 AM   #3

Kjell

The bellows type should work. I have the dedicated tube type zoom slide copier which was designed for 35mm, as a result it will not copy an entire slide with my dSLR (this really becomes a crop factor now). It does a great job but only on slides that have enough room to crop. It seems thatthe flexibility ofa bellows with slide copier should allow you to get the full frame.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2006, 10:22 AM   #4

OK, I think I'll go for it. If I find the gear at my price.:-)

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2006, 11:37 AM   #5

it will work much better to have someone(lab) do it for you. try cking it out.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 12:06 PM   #6

Kjell,

I have tried a slide copier and bellows.

As you have already probably guessed, the slide copier was designed specifically for 35 mm frame format therefore when used with the DSLR the image size is reduced (about 2/3rds). My experience was that the image quality wasn't that good either.

With the bellows you will also find that the slide copier attachment was also designed to suit the 35mm frame but with some experimentation you can achieve approx 85% coverage with a standard 50mm lens. I have made this work for me by reframing the image.

All in all the bellows give a much better image reproduction but I suppose that is down to the quality of the optics.

I would be interested to hear how you get on?

Also, I would point out that you will need to experiment with light sources - daylight or flash - and exposure times. It takes some time to work out the best alternatives - but the advantage of digital is that it is cheap (apart from recharging the batteries).

Good luck!

Steve
Stev1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2006, 3:35 PM   #7

I tried copying slides with a bellows set and eventually got a reasonable result when I added extension tubes to the bellows enabling me to increase the distance between the lens and the slides.

Lighting was a challenge but I did eventually get a reasonable result using two mirrors at 45 degrees and the on-camera flash. I had to take a number of shots of each slide adjusting the lens aperture for acceptable exposure.
John Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2006, 5:11 PM   #8

I have the Pentax bellows and slide copier and they work very well if you use a dedicated Macro lens insted of a normal lens because the Macro lens flat focuses.

I also have a Nikon Coolscan which I use for doing slide copies now since it is easier to use.

I don't see any reason why you would have issues with slide copies with the bellows/copier setup and a DSLR any more so than using film except for the DR difference you get with digital.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote