Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 31, 2006, 8:02 AM   #1

Living where we do in the relatively 'flat south', it was nice to experience the thrill of walking through cloud onto Dale Head during our recent visit to the Lake District.

Shot using manual focus and stitched together using Panorama Factory v4-2.

Ullscarf, Glaramara & Seatoller Fell

High Spy & Maiden Moor to Skiddaw & Blencathra from Dale Head

view View across Hindscarf to Grasmoor, Crag Hill, Grisedale Pike, Causey Pike, Skiddaw & Blencathra

view View across High Spy to Skiddaw, Blencathra to The Helvellyn Range Bleaberry Fell & High Seat

The Helvellyn Range with Bleaberry Fell, High Seat & Ullscarf
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2006, 8:59 AM   #2

Absolutely fantastic! Lovely warm yellow/brown against cool blue sky. I really like the composition. Only thing to change would be to clone out the shadow (you?) in the Hindscarf to Grasmoor pic. Lens? HDR?

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2006, 9:08 AM   #3

these are great but i'd clone out the shadow. also, what's the deal with the bright white line on top of the mountains. did you over sharpen??

roy
Old Dec 31, 2006, 10:13 AM   #4

Wow! Really cool photos. The firsttwo with the piece of stone wall and the cairn or tower in the foreground really work well but there is not a bad pic in the lot IMO.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2006, 10:28 AM   #5

i read somewhere the other day something i found interesting about doing panos. sometimes when shooting the images for a pano you'll get a dark or a light image that is way different in appearence than the others. what causes this is the use of auto white balance and the article said using a custom WB will help eliminate the difference. makes a whole lot of sense to me..

roy
Old Dec 31, 2006, 10:38 AM   #6

great photos. and you had fantastic weather (not very common in Lake district at this time of the year I belive).

I have to go there when I finally get myself a car.

and by the way. I your webpage, lots of great photos and walk info but why it doesn't work properly on Firefox? it's the only page I have to view with IE.

greg
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2006, 11:33 AM   #7

robar wrote:
Quote:
these are great but i'd clone out the shadow. also, what's the deal with the bright white line on top of the mountains. did you over sharpen??
I deliberately left my shadow in to balance the cairn on the left - it's just my personal choice.

The shot is considerably reduced in size from 7809x1940 @ 10,105kB to 1280x318 @ 479kB.

The RAW processed image (PPL v2) has a dark outline across the top of the mountain which is clearly visible. Panorama Factory at it's defaultsettings has included the white line that you refer to - I'll have to experiment to see if this can be toned down, but when viewed at my screen resolution of 1280x960, it's not visible.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 11:44 AM   #8

gfurm wrote:
Quote:
and by the way. I your webpage, lots of great photos and walk info but why it doesn't work properly on Firefox? it's the only page I have to view with IE.
I looked into updating my site to iron out the bugs with Firefox but it was going to be a mammoth task which I didn't feel was necessary or worth the effort can still be viewed with Firefox (albeit somewhat disjointed)or by switching to IE (which is preloaded onto all PCs running Windows anyway).

There are several problems that have to be overcome, one, quite a major one,to do with the java code for the drop down menu which I had resolved by incorporating updates from Brainjar (where the basic source code emanates from) but the real problem seems to relate to the use of include pages - a bit like headers & footers in Word - which I use so that in excess of 300 pages can be updated just by changing two files.

So, I'm afraid, that anyone who wants to view my site will have to so with IE or a number of other browsers which all appear to work fine - It's just Firefox that interprets things the way that it does.

Old Dec 31, 2006, 11:51 AM   #9

these are great panos. the wht line just stood out to me.. hwos the travel been going?

roy
Old Dec 31, 2006, 10:58 PM   #10

Amazing images, really well taken.

Rodney
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote