Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 1, 2007, 6:45 AM   #1

I plan on getting my K10 as soon as they arrive in stock.
There are a couple of question I would like to ask regarding some issues I have seen posted in forums.
Hopefuly I can get some feedback from users who have actually used this camera.

Q1. Does the K10 actually have difficulty focusing in low light. I've seen post stating it does & posts saying it doesn't.
If there is some problem, can it be fixed?
Q2. Banding at HI ISO, once again same responses as above?

Q3. I read on another forum that the K10 has difficulty in AI focus tracking compared other cameras?

I'm guessing AI focus tracking is when you are panning a moving object whilst keeping it in frame, the AF keeps it in focus?
Sorry for the newbie questions, I hope some experience K10 users can shed some light on these issues.
Q1 & 3 are relevant because it plan on taking indoor shots as well as some sports.
Regards

Del
VHDEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2007, 6:59 AM   #2

Sorry, the first post had the wrong text colour.

I will hopefully be getting my K10 soon when they arrive in stock.
There are a couple of question I would like to ask regarding some issues I have seen posted on other forums.
I hope I could get some feedback from users who have actually used this camera.

Q1. Does the K10 actually have difficulty focusing in low light. I've seen post stating it does & posts saying it doesn't, or is it a case of just getting a camera that's not as good, if so can it be fixed?

Q2. Banding at HI ISO, once again same responses as above.

Q3. I read on another forum that the K10 has difficulty in AI focus tracking compared other cameras.

I'm guessing AI focus tracking is when you are panning a moving object whilst
keeping it in frame, the AF keeps it in focus?

Sorry for the newbie questions, I hope some experience K10 users can shed some light on these issues.

Q1 & 3 are relevant because it plan on taking indoor shots as well as some sports.

Regards

Del
Old Jan 1, 2007, 7:21 AM   #3

HI VHDL

Welcome to the forums.
I Cannot answer Your questions at this point as I am Very happy With my DS.
But, I just wanted to give You a heads Up.
With the way most of us Have our accounts set up, Your Second post Is Yellow and not readable. The First post was perfectly readable

Happy New Year

BK
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2007, 7:44 AM   #4

Hi Del, welcome!

Cannot answer your questions, more than that I also have a DS and use it a lot for indoors (concerts, theatre) and find that manual focus is often more relevant anyway, so wether AF is slow or not has been a non-issue to me. Haven't had any problems, anyway, and I think K10D has higher AF speed than DS.

As for text colours, don't choose any colour at all and your writing will bevisible to all of us regardless of account setup.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2007, 7:44 AM   #5

Thank's for the heads up BK
I've just changed my screne colour settings & all ok.
Sorry to all for the second post

Regards

Del
Old Jan 1, 2007, 7:56 AM   #6

i think your questions pertain to ALL dslr.. ALL of them have trouble focusing in low light. ALL of them. to remedy the problem all you have to do is get a faster lens.

roy
Old Jan 1, 2007, 7:58 AM   #7

also, you are probably still using the black background format on this board. go to ''my account > preferences'' to change the background color. it's much easier on the eyes.

roy
Old Jan 1, 2007, 10:59 AM   #8

The AF on the K10is faster than the earlier cameras, but I never had problems with the DS so its all relative. I don't do much low light photography, but didn't have any problems other than what I expected (AF requires contrast between colors, that's just the nature of the mechanism, if you have no contrast you won't get a focus lock - sometimes a problem with sunsets). I haven't tried continuous focus yet, so can't comment on that - I'd use it for birding, but my long tele lens is a manual focus. Most of my subjects are stationary anyway.

There is a fair amount of noise at 1600 ISO, especially if the picture is underexposed.Mine doesn't seem like banding and I've had no trouble with Neat Image taking care of it (from what I've read Neat Image/Noise Ninjawon't take care of true banding because it will see it as a feature, rather than noise). Like any other camera, proper exposure is important to high ISO pictures.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote