Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 1, 2007, 2:29 PM   #1

I just recently bought the Sigma 10-20mm EX DC lens from adorama.com. Last night I left that lens in my car along with 2 other sigma lens in my camera bag. My bag was one of those sling back packs. Last night it was pretty cold, about 30*F, maybe lower inside the car. Today when I woke up to get my lens I notice that there was a thick cloud of humidity on my Sigma 10-20mm lens just like my windows on my car. I got my lens cloth and wiped it. The cloud of humidity would come back after I wiped it. I tried a few more times but it just kept coming back. So I left it alone and checked my other lens. I looked at my other two sigma lens(sigma 24-70mm EX, and a cheaper 28-200mm) and there was nothing on the lens, no fog or cloud of humidity on it.

Now from what I just said is there something wrong with my lens? Why would that lens cloud up while the other lens did no? I did not have a filter on the lens but only the lens cap.

Has anyone experianced anything like this before? Did I damaged my lens by wipping the cloud of water on the front element? Or is there something wrong with my lens that was why it fogged up?
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2007, 3:10 PM   #2

don't know about your lens but my last 2-3 pairs of eyeglasses have acted like you describe when they fog or frost up. i've assumed it's the fancy coatings they put on the plastic lenses. i doubt you hurt the lenses assuming you used a soft cloth. but it's better to put them in a zip-loc bag outside while they're still cold, then bring them in where it's warm and leave them sealed in the bag till they warm up to room temperature. i do it all the time with my camera and lenses in the winter. eliminates any chance of condensation on the inside as well which is probably more important.

all the best and hope your lens is ok. eric
ejbrusselsprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2007, 3:17 PM   #3

It is definately condensation from moving them for cold to warm.

I have never used the bag to stop the condensation, and I have never had any problems with lenses being damaged in any way after the condensation goes away.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 12:31 AM   #4

Thanks, I was kind of worried for a minute. I used the lens all day today and it worked fine. I'll remember to keep the lens inside the bag a little bit longer the next time I move from a cold place to a warm place.
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 7:57 AM   #5

Yes, In future it is probably a good idea to leave the closed camera bag sitting in the warmth for a few hours before you open it, this allows the lenses To warm up slowly and results in little or no condensation. A good camera bag offers enough insulation to keep lenses warm when they are just being transported so this is only a problem if they are used outside in the cold or are left in a cold place for a prolonged period of time.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote