Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 1, 2007, 5:58 PM   #1

This is slightly off-topic, but figured I'm not the only person who has a K10 that is considering this, and perhaps others would be interested.

Up until now I've just used CD-Rs for backing up my pictures, but the K10 DNG files are larger than the K100. So I figured I'd switch to DVD and that's what has me totally confused. I went to the store and discovered that it isn't as easy as just picking up a stack of CDs - my DVD recorder is on my laptop and says its a DVD+ writer. After wandering around the internet a bit, it seems like I can use DVD+R. I probably can't use DVD-R, though I never actually found anything from HP that says that (thought this would be such a simple question - NOT!).

So my question is, should I get the DVD+R, which means that I'll forever have to have a burner that takes that media? Not comfortable with having two formats because I remember the days of betamax vs. VHS (I guessed right that time, I bought VHS). Or would I be better off just collecting tons of CD-Rs? They aren't very expensive and its more a matter of storage than anything else that has gotten me to consider DVDs.

Any suggestions, comments and opinions would be greatly appreciated!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2007, 6:16 PM   #2

Great question...

My computer is running very S-L-O-W because the hardrive is jam packed with pictures. I'm going to dump some of this stuff on disc (of some sort)... ESPECIALLY if I get the K10 and have the larger files you talk about.

So... I'd love some advice too about this.

Thanks for starting this thread!

TN Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2007, 6:27 PM   #3

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Sorry, do not have an answer to the questions (s), but have a related question on CD-R's. I've heard that over time, the data on a CD-R can deteriorate. I'd be interested to know if this is true, and if so, would it also apply to DVD's as well (relative to Harriet's original topic).:? Thanks Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2007, 6:28 PM   #4

Harriot

Happy New Years to You. Still recovering From Last night but! I am Totally Not sure about the answer For you. I Do have a laptop, however Its only a CD burner.
I Do all my work From My desktop PC and My DVD Drive will handle any type Of DVD Media. Maybe you can Contact HP and Ask If it is strictly +R Media.
Your other option would be get an external DVD Writer that plugs into the USB Port and then you can use a full size drive and get the +/- DVD drive.

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2007, 6:36 PM   #5

jelpee wrote:
Quote:
Sorry, do not have an answer to the questions (s), but have a related question on CD-R's. I've heard that over time, the data on a CD-R can deteriorate. I'd be interested to know if this is true, and if so, would it also apply to DVD's as well (relative to Harriet's original topic).:? Thanks Jay
Yes Jay

It Supposedly applies To DVD as well. They Do sell gold Media that Is Supposed to last 100 years!! Do I belive it ???
What I do here is every Other Year i just reburn New Copies and I always have them Backed up To an external HD.
Eventually They Will Come out With Newer Formats and you will need to reburn Anyway with that New format

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2007, 8:57 PM   #6

i use the archival gold disks. they are about $3us a pop but i guess they are worth it.. also backup to a external hdd.

roy
Old Jan 1, 2007, 10:46 PM   #7

Whatever you burn DVD-/+R really does not matter for archival purpose. It only matters on playback on non-PC DVD Players.

I use the +R and also archive on an external hard drive. If your DVD or CD fails to read you at least have another back-up.

It is suggested to make two CD/DVD copies and have one set stored somewhere else.

The discs are not indestructible and can fail. I have a set stored with my cousin in Hawai'i as I live out here in the midwest.

This is one drawback about digital photography.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2007, 10:48 PM   #8

I am 95% sure the +r -r relates to the DVD Burner hardware and burning software rather than the DVD player aspect itself.

I know the DVD-R is more popular and more compatible for burning movies etc for DVD players for TVs, but when it comes to data, once the data is burned on and the disk closed, then it SHOULD work with ALL DVD drives.

Could you imagine buying Adobe photoshop and finding the software wouldn't install because your PC wouldn't recognise the DVD+R or DVD-R disk they used to supply the program on.

I have a HP laptop and it has never occurred to me that using +R discs would be a problem.

Yes they mention that data can erode on a disk, I have seen VHS tapes lose their magnetism over the years, a bit like me :G, but like a lot of things in life their are no guarantees.

I have disks from 11 years ago still working without error and they were the first lot of CDs that came out, ...remember the first CD drives had little cases to put the disk in and you put the case in the drive.

Lastly I don't think the subject is off topic, actually it is very relevant, no different to discussing storage of negatives.

Crash
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2007, 11:07 PM   #9

The DVD + and - are has to do with the hardware not the software.

Like what vIZnquest said when it comes to backing up the picture it does not matter which format you use. Most dvd player/burner today will support BOTH format so you don't have to worry about one dying before the other.

The only thing that you should know is to NOT USE DVD-/+RW. Do not use the RW the one that can be re-writen over again because those disk are "softer" than the standard single write one. When they are softer they can be damaged easier like getting scratched. RW are nice because they can be used over again, but single uses blank dvds are pretty cheap so just use those.

Also NOT all blanks are the same quality. Some will last longer than other and some will be more reliable than others. When I say being reliable I mean not wasting your money making coaster out of your blank dvd that won't burn. There are a few manufacture that makes these dvds and some of the well known ones are Taiyo Yuden and Ritek. These two are highy rated to be the best for backing up movies. The bad thing is that it is unknown that what brands are what. The face name on the blanks dvd means nothing. If you go to http://www.dvdrwhelp.com you can find what brand is what by doing a little search.

Yes the blank media will deteriate over the years but how many years is unknown to me. Some say 10 years while some say 100 years. The way the blank media deteriate is because the chemical will loose its compond and top layer will start to chip off. I've only experiance this with some of the really cheap cds and I didn't really take great care of them. But if you keep them in a safe location, they should last a long time. But if you plan to put them away, I would check them ever other year or so to see if the top layer is pealing off or not.

I would back them up on dvd instead of cd mainly because the storage space. A CD can hold 700MB while a single layer dvd can hold 4.7GB(about 4800MB) that is about 6x the space of a CD. Now they have blank DVDs called Double Layer or Dual Layer that can almost double the data, about 8.5GB per disk. But the draw back to the DL DVDs are they are a lot more expensive than standard single layer disk.

If you want to be extra safe with backing your photos I would buy a backup hard drive external hard drive and backup your photos everynight. Most "good" hard drive will come with a program that backups your hard drive or whatever you want to backup everynight by itself. This way, you will always have a backup copy of your photo in case of a hardware failer or a virus before you have a chance to backup your datas.

If anyone has any other question about backing up stuff, dvd related, or any computer related quesiton feel free to ask. I may not have as much experiance with photography but I have tons of experiance working on computers.
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 2:15 AM   #10

Only want to back up what Superakuma, Crashman (always nice to hear from you, Crash) and vIZnquest say, +R or -R is a non-issue in this case. Newer (3-4 years) burners handle both. And should there be a compatible problem, your laptop burning only +R and your stationary only -R, a new replacement burner doesn't cost much more than a stack of discs.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote