Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 2, 2007, 7:54 PM   #1

Hello,

I'm new here and to the world of dslr's.I love the site, but wishsteve would up date or review the latest and greatest pentax. After tons of research, i'm seriously considering on the pentax k10d. One of my questions is, from your experiences, where is the most affordable and of course trust worthy place to shop? Lastly, my dad has and old pentax ME 35mm that has two lenses. one lense is a Asahi smc pentax-m 1:2 50 mm. The other is a 80-200 mm jcpenney optics no. 847902. Will either of these lenses work with the k10d and if they do work, are they a decent lense or should I consider a newer/ or better brand lense for shooting with my new k10d? any or all comments are appreciated.

thanks, Tony

cam2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2007, 8:32 PM   #2

Both lernses will work to some extent with your new Pentax.

The 50mm will be restricted to manual metering but is still a good lens, certainly worth trying.

I know nothing about the JC Penny zoom but if it works on the ME it should work on the K10D.

Generally any lens that wil work on a K mount lens will work on, with maybe reduced functionallity, with Pentax Digital SLRs.

Even the older screw mount (M42) lenses will work with the help of the standard Pentax adaptor.

philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 10:20 PM   #3

I don't know anything about the JC Penney 80-200, it's probable that it was made by someone else and re-badged as Penney. I have a Kiron 80-200 that I used at first (originally bought by my father for an ME Super). It was OK, but the aperture blades have oil on them so it doesn't stop down correctly and is softer than I like. You might want to make sure that you don't have a similar problem with yours.

My guess is that the Penney's lens is also manual (I know your SMC M 50mm 1:2 lens is - I have a similar lens). Using a manual lens isn't that big of a deal - it adds an extra step - you have to push a button to temporarily stop down the lens so the camera can meter, but otherwise will work just as it did on the ME. My suggestion would be to get the camera with the kit lens, and then use your father's lenses until you are familar with the camera and know what the limitations are for the lenses you have. I ended up buying the DA 50-200 because the Kiron wouldn't stop down and I missed having something between 55 and 80 way too much. You might feel differently, depending on what you like to take pictures of.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2007, 12:12 AM   #4

I'll third what has been said already. The two lenses your father has should work just fine for starting out, though you may want to upgrade later.

I have a similar collection of lenses myself, from my own days shooting film with a K-mount Ricoh camera, and those lenses work just fine... though I am having to get used to focusing those lenses again, as I was spoiled by the autofocus on my previous digital camera.

Paul
pbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2007, 6:41 PM   #5

Tony,

I can't help you as far as lenses for your K10D are concerned, but I too have been waiting for Steve to release his review on the Pentax K10D. I can tell you that Phil at www.dpreview.com has a review on the K10D if you'd like to go there. Keep me posted on how you like the camera, since I'll probably order one in a week or so. Lots of Luck to you and I hope to see some beautiful shots from you in the near future. You're in good hands with the folks on this site, they really know their stuff. Jay D :|
Jay D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2007, 8:51 PM   #6

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! After some research I have decided this camera would best suit me. Where is a good spot to buy the pentax k10d? Does anyone have a trusty worthy place they like to deal with on the web?

Thanks again, Tony
cam2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2007, 10:02 PM   #7

There are several reliable internet stores, though I ended up buying mine at a local camera store (the reliable dealers were all the same price, and I had some concerns about the weight of the camera so wanted to see one when it first came out. The only way I was going to do that was to put a deposit down).

I've bought 3 cameras and two lenses from B&H over the years- they aren't usually the cheapest but I've had outstanding service from them.In many ways they seem to be the "gold standard" - my local camera store will matchB&H's price if you ask. I've never used Adorama but I've heard good things of them, too. Another place that many people use here is buydig (also known as Beach Camera) - they are usually cheaper than B&H and Adorama.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2007, 8:50 AM   #8

bottom line tony,
if it will mount on a pentax body then it will work on the k10 as well as the d,ds,ds2,dl,dl2,k100, and the k110. i went pentax because i had 5 primes from the old days. i've still got 3 of those. i've got 11 lenses i use and only the kit lens is AF. once you get use to using the older lenses it's no problem.

roy
Old Jan 4, 2007, 8:50 AM   #9

bottom line tony,
if it will mount on a pentax body then it will work on the k10 as well as the d,ds,ds2,dl,dl2,k100, and the k110. i went pentax because i had 5 primes from the old days. i've still got 3 of those. i've got 11 lenses i use and only the kit lens is AF. once you get use to using the older lenses it's no problem.

roy
Old Jan 5, 2007, 6:56 PM   #10

Cam2 ( Tony )

I've had friends who have purchased from www.cametacamera.com on Ebay. They have approx. 166,000 feedbacks with 99.8% being positive. They also offer package deals at what seems to be very good prices. You can also get a 2 year extended guarantee for about $80.00. GOOD LUCK.

Jay D :|
Jay D is offline   Reply With Quote