Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 5, 2007, 11:25 AM   #1

I have three M lenses and one of the disadvantages of the older non-automatic lenses is they will not work in mult-segment metering mode. Page 130 of the DL manual has some information on this and wondered what the rest of you on the forum use. I'm not sure if this applies to the K100D and K10D. I currently use center-weighted metering for everything and wonder if maybe there is a better way of doing it. I have not tried spot metering yet.

I suppose I could switch tomulti-segment meteringanduse that on my DA lenses and it will default tocenter weighted when I put on an M lens. At least I think that is what the book says. Just looking for some opinions of those that have experimented- Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2007, 1:43 PM   #2

It says the same thing in the book for my K10D.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2007, 1:43 PM   #3

i keep mine at centered metering, but i have it set to go into spot metering mode when i hold down the "ok" button. a nice quick shift while shooting without having to go through menus.
plagued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2007, 3:57 PM   #4

One of the things that I like about the K10 is having the control for metering on the camera body - I find I change it far more often. Before that I tended to just leave it on spot metering (what I had gotten used to on the F717), and adjust accordingly (used AEL fairly often as I wouldn't always want to meter from the center of the picture). I'm much more likely to change metering modes, depending on my subject now with the K10.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2007, 4:14 PM   #5

Plagued - I like your approach to this and may give this a try for awhile. That way I can do all 3 metering methods, depending on which lens I use and by pressing the OK button. Thanks for this tip - Bruce
Old Jan 5, 2007, 5:38 PM   #6

It still won't work in multi segment mode if you are using manual lenses even though it is set for it on the switch. It defaults to center weighted metering.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2007, 7:37 PM   #7

Tom - I think I mentioned that in my initial post, but when I use the DA lenses I have, it would work in multi-segment and default to center-weighted when I use the M lenses. Then if Ihold the ok button in,it would go to spot metering regardless of the lens, if I set it up that way as plagued suggested. Do I have it right? Bruce

I may have this wrong. I show being able to set the OK button for spot AF, but not for spot metering. At least I am not able to find a setting for the OK button and spot metering.
Old Jan 6, 2007, 2:19 PM   #8

bper wrote:
Quote:
I may have this wrong. I show being able to set the OK button for spot AF, but not for spot metering. At least I am not able to find a setting for the OK button and spot metering.
Same here...
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2007, 3:34 PM   #9

whooops my mistake. thats actually what i meant. my apologies!
plagued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2007, 4:28 PM   #10

That's ok. It sure was a good idea, maybe Pentax will read this thread, Maybe they could just do it in a firmware updatesometime in the future. That would be a handyuse of the OK button- Bruce