Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 5, 2007, 5:13 PM   #1

Hi all

Any thoughts on the Pentax flashes vs the Sigma DG Super 500? I have a feeling a flash is in my near future. This will be for use on the k10d.

Thanks

Peggy
pmanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2007, 6:41 PM   #2

Peggy, I am in the same boat. I currently have the DL with the EF500DG ST.

I am getting the K10D and would like to get either the Pentax 540 or the Sigma EF500DG Super.

I would like to ask if anyone knows for sure which one is more powerful, I believe the Sigma is rated with a higher guide number ( 165 in feet / 50 in meters 105mm (ISO 100))

Secondly, can someone confirm for me that the ONLY Pentax camera that is capable of wireless flash is actually the *ist D and no other Pentax digital bodies can wirelessly activate a slave flash?

I have a Sigma EF500DG ST which will need to be rechipped anyways to operate with my K10D, so I was considering using it as a slave only and believe the only way I can activate it from the K10D with either the Pentax 540 or the Sigma EF500DG Super, will be via optical or radio slave trigger.

Anyone with this equipment can confirm or deny? :roll:

Crash

p.s. Yes, still overseas, back in country later this month to buy K10D, grip, SD cards, flashes and maybe triggers.

Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2007, 4:25 AM   #3

You needs to change your name as you doesn't do that no more! Give ma a buzz when you gets home......
billiedougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2007, 7:51 AM   #4

Crashman wrote:
Quote:
p.s. Yes, still overseas, back in country later this month to buy K10D, grip, SD cards, flashes and maybe triggers.
some of us have all the fun..

roy
Old Jan 6, 2007, 10:58 AM   #5

Hi guys,

I tried to answer your questions yesterday, but couldn't post because of a flaky connection with the server.

Peggy -- The Pentax AF540 FGZ and the Sigma EF 500 DG SG Super are pretty close in features and power ( the Pentax is rated at GN 148 @ 85mm zoom and the Sigma is 165 @ 105mm zoom, both at ISO 100) with the notable exception of the Pentax's ability to use an external High Voltage battery pack. This allows for significantly longer flash sessions and faster recycling times.

Users who have had both have said that the user interface is better on the Pentax and that the Pentax is built better, but these are obviously subjective evaluations, so should be considered as such.

Crash -- I think that the power differences shown in GN are marginal -- practically they are too close to be that significant.

The *ist D is indeed the only Pentax DSLR body that can control one of these (or the AF 360FGZ) in remote TTL with the onboard flash. All other bodies require two of these flash units. There have been rumors that the K10 may have the required circuitry, but it is disabled by the firmware because it interfered with SR. It may be possible to enable it with a firmware fix, but I wouldn't hold my breath. . . but you can hope -- :-) You can fire a slave with the onboard flash on any body, It just won't be metered through the lens with the camera's meter. You'd need a "digital capable" slave trigger that fires on the second flash and ignores the preflash.

I don't believe that your 500 ST has a slave trigger built in, so you'd need a hotshoe slave trigger to use it as such. The wireless TTL fuction would not be available with this unit, as it couldn't communicate with the other flash other than when to fire at full power. I'd go ahead and get the rechip so you can use the ST as a P-TTL main if you need a backup in the future. Send it in after you get your upgrade flash so you still have an external flash while the ST is at the service center.

This flash stuff is pretty confusing -- It's so hard to get real information unless you gain a real understanding of how the systems work, and the mfgs are notably sparse with the info that they publish.

Scott

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2007, 5:16 AM   #6

Thanks for the advice, I think I will do that and get the 540 flash and re-chip my EF500St as an off camera back up and try out a remote trigger for it.

Dave, I am not coming back to Perth, only back a few days and staying in Canberra to re-equip and change mission briefings before going back overseas to another country. Don't expect to be back in Australia for 8 months, though I do plan a few trips ot Bali and Singapore in tbhat 8 months to let off steam.
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote