Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 6, 2007, 11:24 AM   #1

Shot these the other day using jpg. Wanted to see how the k10 worked. These were taken in very poor light. Had to boost the ev on the 2nd one to +1.5 to catch some detail. Both photos are cropped (I can never get that close). I think I'll experiment a little more using the jpg. Seems to produce quite good results. Cheers.....Don
Attached Images

thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2007, 11:25 AM   #2

2. This one at +1.5ev.
Attached Images

Old Jan 6, 2007, 1:31 PM   #3

nice shots Don, coming from a point and shoot I'm still amazed at the possibility of making these kind of shots in low light situations. --- Ronny
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2007, 2:13 PM   #4

Very nice. Good, clean shots.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2007, 4:57 PM   #5

Hi Don,

Nice flicker shots -- in my experience they are usually too high to get really good shots. This was the first year that I've been able to get close enough to get some that I really like, and I consider myself lucky for that.

I posted some in this thread if you're interested

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...light=snostorm

BTW, I usually go at least +1.7-2 stops for birds against even an overcast sky, and I almost always shoot in jpg.

Scott

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2007, 5:12 PM   #6

Hi Scott. I checked your Northern Flicker shots, and they are excellent! Nice work. I usually shoot in Av with the aperture set between 4.5 to 5.6 on the FA*300 and adjust the ISO accordingly to try and get a quicker shutter. I also use a 1.4tc if the light is good- but not under poor light. I'd love to be able to get my hands on a FA*300 f/2.8, but will have to save for a while, and then be lucky enough to find one........Don

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
Hi Don,

Nice flicker shots -- in my experience they are usually too high to get really good shots. This was the first year that I've been able to get close enough to get some that I really like, and I consider myself lucky for that.

I posted some in this thread if you're interested

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...light=snostorm

BTW, I usually go at least +1.7-2 stops for birds against even an overcast sky, and I almost always shoot in jpg.

Scott
Old Jan 6, 2007, 5:46 PM   #7

thekman620 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Scott.

I usually shoot in Av with the aperture set between 4.5 to 5.6 on the FA*300 and adjust the ISO accordingly to try and get a quicker shutter. I also use a 1.4tc if the light is good- but not under poor light. I'd love to be able to get my hands on a FA*300 f/2.8, but will have to save for a while, and then be lucky enough to find one........Don

Hi Don,

Thanks --

I also use Av mostly, but with the K10, am looking forward to trying Sv so I can choose ISO with one of the wheels -- I'll have to wait 'til spring to see if that becomes my default mode. I also use the FA*300/4.5 wide open (or close to) most of the time -- and thank the designers of this great lens every time I open a new pic on my computer.

I've found the Pentax F 1.7x AFA an almost indispensable addition to my FA*300/4.5. My Tamron AF 1.4x has gotten lonely since I got the 1.7x. Even on overcast days, the 1.7x gives me faster AF since it only has a limited focusing range, and the stop to stop rotation for focusing is much narrower.

I've pretty much written off the FA*300/2.8 -- unless I stumble across one in a garage sale or somewhere when the owner doesn't realize what it is ( I actually heard a story where someone found either an A* or FA* 300/2.8 in a Goodwill shop priced at a couple of hundred bucks!! -- I've been haunting 2nd hand stores ever since :-)) -- I just can't see spending at least a couple of grand on a lens that I don't use too much because of its size and weight -- the FA*300/4.5 is just about the perfect balance for me.

I did recently decide to go ahead and get a Tamron SP 300/2.8 Adaptall II to test the waters for a really fast long tele as they are pretty available, not that expensive (relatively speaking), and very very good from an IQ standpoint. It will remain to be seen if I use it enough to justify looking for something better in that class of lens.

You guys in BC (and Daniel in Toronto) seem to be having a lot more luck finding good birds to shoot -- all I see all winter are sparrows, gulls, geese, and starlings -- I must have about 10K shots of these species . . :?

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2007, 6:09 PM   #8

The Flicker shot is very nice, they are all gone from around here until next summer.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2007, 9:47 PM   #9

Low light shots , Well done , very nice.

Rodney
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote