Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 6, 2007, 7:09 PM   #1

This is probably something very simple, but why do I get images like the following sometimes when I shoot in auto?

exif data:

55mm, f5.6, 1/80 sec, ISO200, pattern metering mode

Attached Images

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2007, 7:14 PM   #2

I ended up switching back to manual and getting the following image.I was in a hurry when taking these photos and switched to ISO800 to see if it would make any difference. Not sure if that is why it came out viewable or not.

exif data:

55mm, f16, 1/4 sec, ISO 800, pattern metering mode

I know the specs of the two photos are different, but I would think in auto it would come out half way okay at least.

Attached Images

Old Jan 6, 2007, 9:26 PM   #3

When you say you were shooting in auto, what auto mode were you in?

It looks to me like the first one may have been shot in Tv mode set at 1/80. The 55mm lens is wide open at 5.6, it can't get more light and therefore, you will underexpose.

There is a lot of difference between the values of your two shots.

1/4 sec at ISO 800 is equal to 1 sec at ISO 200. You were shooting at 1/80.

The aperture settings of f5.6 at 200 and f16 at 800 are about equal, if I remember the formula correctly.

Will
irishinmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2007, 9:49 PM   #4

Irishinmo, By auto I mean "Auto Pict" option on the dial. Shouldn't the camera be able to determine what to set everything at?
Old Jan 6, 2007, 10:24 PM   #5

Dumb question - were your batteries getting close to being drained? I've found on the K100 that if my batteries are low that the camera will underexpose.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2007, 12:45 PM   #6

mtngal,

I thought I had responded to you before I left to take photos, but......

Anyway, I thought I had written that it might just be the batteries as I am still using the CRV-3's and this is my third set after the ones it came with. I am to 1900 photos, which would be averaging 475 shots a set of batteries if the first ones were full charge. I don't even remember what they were.

I went out to retake the same photo with the same batteries and then with new batteries. But, it is later in the day and the sun was shining on the first gate and the photo took fine. I had meant to find a dark shot while I was out today and forgot. It wasn't that the batteries might have been cold the other day either as it's colder today than it was then.

Now I'm really confused.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 2:37 PM   #7
TDN

Your camera isn't faulty, the problem is that there's a very light spot in the upper right corner.

The same thing happens when you try to take a picture inside a church with glass windows.

The camera tries to avoid overexposing those bright spots, and selects a faster shutter speed or smaller aperture, that's why the rest of the image is underexposed.

Try taking the same image without the bright spot in the corner, it'll expose correctly
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2007, 9:00 PM   #8

Thanks for the tip, TDN.

So, just that little bit of white and the gate will set the camera to photograph that dark? Would it make a difference if I set the spot metering to be centered and it only looked at that?