Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 10, 2007, 6:04 AM   #11

Quote:
A 700 pixel wide image at 72 DPI is exaclty the same image as one that is 700 pixels wide at 1 DPI.
Since I was talking about bandwidth and therefore the monitor - That's exactly the point.

And NO, the files size is NOT the same. Not only that, you may have cable or A/DSL but there are others around the world who are still on low braudbend.

Furthermore, as the poster was speaking of his own site, photo-hosting sites did not come into play except for those with poor internet connection as mentioned above.

nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2007, 4:35 PM   #12

An image that is sized to 700*500 pixels has the same file size no matter what dpi/ppi you set in its header.
Screens have a fixed dot size so they ignore that setting, devices like printers can make use of it but it does not affect the file size.

Jpg compression does affect the final file size.

And yes the original poster was speaking of his own server until errno_gmm mentioned it was burning his own bandwidth to post to a forum like this.

That is a non sequitur, the two are not related.
Quote:
Since I was talking about bandwidth and therefore the monitor - That's exactly the point.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2007, 7:46 AM   #13

Quote:
That is a non sequitur, the two are not related.
Peter, you're correct in realterms- I incorrectly used them for comparision. You are also correct in terms of filesize.

I bowto you, red-faced, for bringing this glaring error to the fore - Thanks.

I should have stopped at the statement to limit the screen-size of the image but then, others will disagree with that as well.

nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2007, 12:24 PM   #14

Ah now that is something I completely agree with!

I get quite annoyed when oversized images are posted that make you scroll forever to see them. They make both for big files and it is really hard to appreciate something you cannot see all at once.

I've found that sizeing to about 700 pixels wide seems to fit nicely into most browser windows.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote