Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 7, 2007, 5:11 PM   #11

Thanks! Yes - all of those were made from 3 exposures. I tried a new technique and made 2 HDRs each. One with PhotoMatrix and the other one with Ulead Photoimpact. I blended them together in PSP in the end. It seems that way I can avoid the typical halos around the edges a bit better.

I am still working on this technique and I am still experimenting. I'll post some more totally different looking pictures, once that image host is up and running again.

Thanks to all for the nice comments.
HogRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2007, 5:23 PM   #12

Dal1970 wrote:
Quote:
By the way, is there any chance of a fewshots of your hog?

Darren

OK. Here is one (the bike in the foreground). I hope this works, because both of the hosts I normally use don't seem to work right now, so I uploaded this to flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...267&size=o

Edited for typo

Old Jan 7, 2007, 6:06 PM   #13

Fantastic photos!!! Really superb..it shows what an excellent photographer can do with his Pentax. I just ordered the Sigma 17-70mm lens..hope I can do as well.
whbroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2007, 8:13 PM   #14

Outstanding, and your bike is one beautiful bike, too.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2007, 8:42 PM   #15

HogRider wrote:
Quote:
Thanks! Yes - all of those were made from 3 exposures. I tried a new technique and made 2 HDRs each. One with PhotoMatrix and the other one with Ulead Photoimpact. I blended them together in PSP in the end. It seems that way I can avoid the typical halos around the edges a bit better.

I am still working on this technique and I am still experimenting. I'll post some more totally different looking pictures, once that image host is up and running again.

I will be very interested in more info about this. That is one aspect of HDR that is often bothersome - the halo effect. I have been using a program called Artizen HDR, and the halo's are very pronounced - I can tweak them out, but it is often hard to get a good balance. Photomatix does much better. I would really like to hear more when you can post some additional info. Thanks
nznhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2007, 8:45 PM   #16

HogRider wrote:
Quote:

Also, what version of Photoimpact are you using?
nznhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2007, 9:28 PM   #17

Some people ask whether photography is art, you prove it so.
Wonderful shots, Thankyou.

Rodney
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2007, 10:03 AM   #18

nznhut wrote:
Quote:
Also, what version of Photoimpact are you using?
I am using PhotoImpact V 11.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 10:12 AM   #19

nznhut wrote:
Quote:
I will be very interested in more info about this. That is one aspect of HDR that is often bothersome - the halo effect. I have been using a program called Artizen HDR, and the halo's are very pronounced - I can tweak them out, but it is often hard to get a good balance. Photomatix does much better. I would really like to hear more when you can post some additional info. Thanks
I have never heard of Artizen HDR, but I will look at it. I wish I could give you a specific setting for Photomatrix but I don't have any. I just play around with the sliders until it looks right for me. Of course there are plenty of images from HDR that I cannot get right whatever I do and they end up getting deleting and I never post them. It's pretty much all trial and error, but it seems to get better after time because you develop a feel for a scene that would make a good HDR.

BTW - I have played with the "Merge to HDR" function in Photo shop CS2 on a friends computer and was never able to get the results I liked. The images always seemed without contrast and flat.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 12:12 PM   #20

Your HDR technique is very refined. It doesn't look like the usual over the top HDR which doesn't really appeal to me. Your's is much subtler. It actually doesn't even look HDR. It just looks like a series of very well framed and expertly exposed photos. Awesome as usual.
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote