Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 7, 2007, 7:07 PM   #1

I just got back from Staples. They are running a sale this week for the SanDisk Ultra II 2 GB cards. They are normally $109.99 at Staples (way over-priced) but this week they are only $39.99because of $70 instant savings with no mail-in rebate to mess with. I jumped all over that! It's as good of a price as I've seen yet even for a bargin no-name card, let alone an Ultra II. Just thought I'd share in case anyone wants to take advantage of it.

gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2007, 7:12 PM   #2

Several stores around here have the 2GB SD cards for 39.99, but none are the high speed cards. Does anyone notice a difference between the reg cards and high speed cards for use with a 6mp dslr?
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2007, 7:19 PM   #3

I couldn't say because this is my first DSLR and the only card I've had for it (before tonight) was a SanDisk Ultra II 1 GB.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 7:47 PM   #4

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

inneyeseakay wrote:
Quote:
Several stores around here have the 2GB SD cards for 39.99, but none are the high speed cards. Does anyone notice a difference between the reg cards and high speed cards for use with a 6mp dslr?
I saw the Staples price in their insert in my Sunday paper and thought it was a good price for the Ultra II. To answer your question, I own a 1GB SD Ultra II and honestly speaking cannot tell the difference between it and a regular 1G card when used in my DL or when uploading through a card reader to my PC. Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2007, 7:57 PM   #5

If you have a MicroCenter in your area, they are selling MicroCenter branded 2 gig SD cards for $21.99 each. They also have 1 gig SD cards for $14.99. I'm not sure if the price is good online or not, it should be good in store until the 14th.

Paul
pbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2007, 8:23 PM   #6

My Experiance is different than Jelpee. I really never saw a big difference in the Camera. However i see quite a difference when downloading from my card reader

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2007, 1:34 AM   #7
TDN

I've got 2 other brand high speed cards, and 1 one regular dane-elec and when writing RAW to it in the camera, I really notice a difference...
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2007, 4:23 AM   #8

I have the Sandisk Ultra II and another brand that is twice as fast (150x) and the faster card reads much faster to my K10D in RAW than the Sandisk does.

Sandisk now has an Ultra III out which is why the Ultra II is on sale in many places.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2007, 6:50 AM   #9

All this talk about speeds has brought up something I've been curious about. Does anyone know what the actual write speeds are for the K100D /K10D cameras? The reason I ask is this:Let's saythe K100D writes photos to the card at 60X (just a guess). If you have a card that is only rated at 50X you will have a bottle-neck of information flow and it will slow everything down. But, if you are using a card which can be written to at say 66X than you are good. In that case, there will be no difference in performance from a 66X card to a 100X card. The card doesn't boost the speed of performance...the camera does. The card can only slow things down if it's not as fast as the camera. I just wonder at what speed the cameras write to the cards.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 9:36 AM   #10

inneyeseakay wrote:
Quote:
As far as the 'in camera' use goes (*istDS anyway), there's probably no speed improvement whatsoever until you pop it (the SD Card that is) into a high speed card reader.

I recently bought a Kingstone Ultra 2G Card (x50) just recently for UKĀ£23 ($44) which I though was pretty good value.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote