Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 8, 2007, 11:49 AM   #1

I considered putting this in the newbie area but thought it may be different on different cameras. Now that we might have established just how ignorant I am, I am confused by exposure settings. I understand what they are but I cannot find a definition of how to correlate 1/400 to what I see on my K10 in the viewfinder. I have reviewed the manual at least 5 times cover to cover, searched on Google, and searched on ask.com to no avail.

Am I just missing it in the manual or is there some simple formula I don't know?
sgarthee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2007, 12:13 PM   #2

sgarthee wrote:
Quote:
I considered putting this in the newbie area but thought it may be different on different cameras. Now that we might have established just how ignorant I am, I am confused by exposure settings. I understand what they are but I cannot find a definition of how to correlate 1/400 to what I see on my K10 in the viewfinder. I have reviewed the manual at least 5 times cover to cover, searched on Google, and searched on ask.com to no avail.

Am I just missing it in the manual or is there some simple formula I don't know?
Welcome on board. That is 1/400second of exposure time . It could be marked 400s or 400 on your viewfinder.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2007, 12:22 PM   #3

I'm not quite convinced that I understand your question correctly, but I think you're asking about the information displayed at the right under the image in the viewfinder. There's a row of figures (I've got a DS, but I think they're identical or nearly identical). To the left is information about what mode you have chosen with the mode dial, and about the flash status.

The first (from left to right) is the exposure time.

If it says 15, that means 1/15 of a second.

If it says 400, it's 1/400 of a second.

If it says 2, it's 1/2 second.

If it says 2", that's two full seconds.

15" is 15 full seconds etc.

To the right of this is the aperture, indicated by the letter F and a figure.

And farthest to the right is a figure that indicates how much over- or underexposed your setting is according to the camera's metering. -3, -2, -1, 0 (correct exposure), +1 etc. meaning how many f-stops up or down the camera thinks you should go.

Hope this is what you wanted to know. Otherwise, ask again or wait for someone else to answer. This forum is full of people who are happy to help a fellow Pentaxian.:bye:

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2007, 12:27 PM   #4

Thank you both for the responses. That is exactly what I wanted to know. I had thought it might be that simple but I was not sure and I did not know that " meant full seconds. Again, thanks.
sgarthee is offline   Reply With Quote