Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 8, 2007, 2:38 PM   #1

I own an *ist DL2 with the 18-55mm kit lens. I also acquired a A 50mm f/1.7 a while back and really like the photos I get out of this lens compared with the 18-55. The only thing I don't like is my manual focusing abilities, but I am improving. I recently saw the FA 28-70mm f/4 on sale for $100 Cdn and thought I'd get some user experiences before I decide to buy it. What I would really like at some point is the DA 16-45mm f/4 to replace my 18-55.

How does the FA 29-70 lens compare to my 18-55 kit lens? I mainly take indoor natural light photos and some outdoor landscape photos.
Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2007, 9:46 AM   #2

The lens is actually very good and sharp as long as it doesn't suffer from lens separation. These lenses aren't very popular because of the build quality issues with them. I would say your luck is about 50/50 with build quality. Just search for "lens separation" and you'll find what I'm talking about.

On the flipside, if it doesn't suffer from the problem, this lens is excellent. I usually use it as an indoor lens. I bought it years ago to replace the dreaded 28-80 kit lens in my film days.

I recommend the lens as long as you get warranty with it.

Comparing it to the 18-55 DA lens kit I would probably say you're better off getting the kit lens because the build quality is excellent and the quality is very good once stopped down. Only downfall is that you lose the focal length.
jmack100d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2007, 11:03 AM   #3

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll pass on it and save my money for a better lens.
Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2007, 11:07 AM   #4

Hi,

I also have the 28-70mm f4 and love it. I heard about the lens seperation and all. I bought mine from KEH. It is a great walk around lens for outside or inside. The only one I might replace it with would be the 2.8 version, If I find one....:O

Here are a couple of landscape shots with it.

Rudy
Attached Images

bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2007, 11:09 AM   #5

Hi,

Here is another.

Rudy
Attached Images

bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote