Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 8, 2007, 11:29 PM   #1

Went out to experiment some more today with the k10d. These were shot in jpg., bright setting with saturation and contrast at -1, and sharpness at 0. I used cloudy WB setting, and auto ISO letting the camera choose the full range of settings from 100-1600. I used Tv and Av modes, and was able to adjust the EV compensation (check exif to see), accordingly as to the type of scene I was shooting. I'm quite happy with the results. The light was flat and wasn't great - typical gray day in Vancouver - but the results left me feeling that the k10d is a very capable machine.
One other thing I've noticed when using jpg over RAW, is that the in camera processing reduces ca's quite well. I was noticing when shooting RAW with my FA*300 under extreme contrast (dark subject against bright white sky with ev boosted as much as 2 ev), that a lot of blue fringing was happening. It could be dealt with in pp, but after using the jpg today, I noticed an absence of ca's under high contrast. This must be the processing engine eliminating them. I wish I'd shot in RAW+ jpg to confirm this. I think that'll be the next test I undertake. Anyway, trying not to be too longwinded, here's some samples. The exif's there for anyone to see.......Don.

1. ISO 1100
Attached Images

thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2007, 11:30 PM   #2

2. ISO 1600
Attached Images

Old Jan 8, 2007, 11:32 PM   #3

3 ISO 400. This shot was up at the bright white sky, and I boosted the EV to +2 to get some detail. There were no CA's that I could detect even at 100%.
Attached Images

Old Jan 8, 2007, 11:32 PM   #4

4. ISO 800
Attached Images

Old Jan 8, 2007, 11:35 PM   #5

5. Another at ISO 1100. It's pretty good to know that at high ISO, results that are useable and fairly free of noise can be achieved....cheers....Don
Attached Images

Old Jan 9, 2007, 12:36 AM   #6

Wow thats some really nice shots. FA*300. *drool....*
Very clean images even when you go up to ISO 1100. I'm impressed.
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2007, 12:52 AM   #7

The lens and camera is of course top notch, but what I admire the most is yourskill in getting so close to the birds. You must have an enormous patience (or tame birds).

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2007, 8:31 AM   #8

Beautiful shots.... but I did notice that the black bird at ISO 800 seemed noiser than the rest.... or am I imagining that? If you look at the black bird and its feathers, is that chroma noise?

Did you apply any noise reduction to the rest of them? Because the IS0 1100 and 1600 are pretty impressive! :-)

TN Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2007, 10:23 AM   #9

Hi TN. Yes, I thought it showed a bit of chroma too, but not terribly so. The exposure was probably incorrect. I'm finding that shooting at constant .5 ev or higher is a must on this camera - much like the istDS and k100. It's pretty important to get the exposure correct when shooting high ISO-preferably a bit on the overexposed side, or noise will ruin the shot. No noise reduction was used on these. I was curious to see how much detail is still there at high ISO. The Spotted Towhee was just cropped with a little USM. No exposure adjustment was necessary. This more or less confirms that if using high ISO and you get the exposure correct, you'll get a good result....cheers........Don

TN Mary wrote:
Quote:
Beautiful shots.... but I did notice that the black bird at ISO 800 seemed noiser than the rest.... or am I imagining that? If you look at the black bird and its feathers, is that chroma noise?

Did you apply any noise reduction to the rest of them? Because the IS0 1100 and 1600 are pretty impressive! :-)

Old Jan 9, 2007, 12:16 PM   #10

Truly excellent Don.Thanks for posting.

I went out yesterday with K10D and 400 Sigma and did a shootout on RAW and Jpg used minus one contrast,standard sat,and plus one sharpness.

I prefer the feather detail on the jpg images.Poor light conditions.

As most outdoor bird shots require significant cropping I did this first on RAW and jpg images.

Still think I might prefer higher contrast setting so will try the sat and sharpness settings with reg and high contrast to see which I prefer.It's all about personal preference but great to see first rate shots likeyours to show whether on the right track.

Ian Mc

PS Interesting about the slight overexposure comment.

I mighttry adjusting EV also by just a tad.Maybe plus 1 EV next time for me.Worked well for me with Canon S2IS for birds like terns and gulls.
Ian Mc is offline   Reply With Quote