Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 10, 2007, 3:00 PM   #1

Most of us use either multi-segmented or center-weighted metering, depending on what lenses and conditions we run into. A week or so ago I had a thread going about metering and one of the posters suggested using spot metering via the OK button.

The more I thought about this, the more sense it made if this option was made available along with all the AF options the OK button can be made to do. Just think if you had a scene that you set with center weight metering, but wanted to check a part of it with spot metering, you would just hold down the OK button and center it over the area you wanted to check. If you wanted to take the picture, just click and if you wanted to go back to the regular metering, just release the OK button. Does this make sense and sound feasible. It sounds like it would be easy to do, only the addition of another option to the "Ok btn when shooting" in the custom menu.

I wrote Pentax Imaging / Support an email already and maybe anyone interested in seeing this ina firmware upgrade should do the same. Enough emails and we might get action. I'm not sure if this would be useful in the K10D, but I think the other cameras would benefit. The email I sent is below and Pentax's answer is below that - Bruce

[align=left]Possible upgrade feature - I would like to suggest the possibility of one of the functions that the OK button can be programed to do would be spot metering. By pressing the ok button when composing a picture it would change to spot metering if the OK button was pushed and this option was selected. That way you would have fast access to spot metering when needed. I want to suggest this feature for consideration as part of a firmware update in the future.
[/align]

[align=left]Dear Sir/Madam,
Yes sir thank you for you input. We highly apprceciate you ideas for better use of our cameras.[/align]
[align=left]
Thank you for contacting Pentax.

[/align]

[align=left]
[/align]
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2007, 3:19 PM   #2
PDL

I have my *ist Ds set to do this now. I was also discussed briefly in the thread on gymnastics. Makes the camera closer to being a manual machine - automation is nice but I do not like the idea of having the computer (camera) decide what my subject is. Besides, the subject in focus may not necessarily be the "thing" in the middle of the screen or the "thing" that the computer thinks should be in focus.

Give the creative process back to the 5 lb analog computer looking through the backside of the camera.

PDL
PDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2007, 5:19 PM   #3

Hi PDL - I think we are talking about two different things. I was talking about spot metering, not spot focusing. I don't think you can set the OK button to spot metering with the options available now- Bruce
Old Jan 10, 2007, 6:47 PM   #4
PDL

You are correct. Saw OK button and got out my soap box.

My apologies.

PDL
PDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2007, 9:24 PM   #5

isnt thereway tomatching your metering to the focus ?

i am at work so i cant check my manual

or maybe i am just confused

Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2007, 12:28 AM   #6

I think that only applies to multi-segmented metering, so would not apply to manual lenses or spot metering- Bruce
Old Jan 11, 2007, 12:48 PM   #7

Gumnut wrote:
Quote:
isnt thereway tomatching your metering to the focus ?

This is why I've always hated multiple choice tests - I can interpret this question two different ways!

If you are asking whether you can lock your exposure at the same time as you lock focus, the answer is yes - there's a setting in the menu for that.

If you are asking whether you can change one value (focus mode) and have it automatically change the metering mode at the same time, then the answer is no - they are two separate functions and have to be changed separately.

Now you are going to tell me that you question wasn't about either one of my answers, right?

P.S. For the K10 at least, you can also link the auto exposure spot to follow the auto focus spot when using matrix focus (didn't pick up on that the first time around).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2007, 1:04 PM   #8

Good ideea, but I would use the AE-L button instead (some Pentax cameras - like the MZ-6 -can do this).

A Custom Function will set the AE-L to work with the current selected metering mode orwith spot metering.
Alex Sarbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2007, 1:43 PM   #9

I sent my suggestion email as well!
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2007, 2:18 PM   #10

On page 143 of manual, you can lock AF point and AE via a custom setting. Not sure if this is what you are asking though. This seems to apply only to multi-segment metering and not spot metering as in the D80. Apparently my ist DL can do this also, but since there is only 1 usable focus point...
jabilson007 is offline   Reply With Quote